So What Went Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Highly disagree with your assessment of Morin. I thought he and Regin teamed up to be forechecking nightmares for the two weeks that Toews and Kane were out in the regular season. Morin averaged about half a point in his 24 regular season games this year despite rarely cracking 10 minutes of ice time. He can be a productive 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL and then maybe work his way up to the Top 6 some day.
Agree to disagree on Morin. I think his skating still needs work and while i love his shot, he isnt needed to be the type of player he wants to be. I dont see a huge upside for him, i see a very solid fourth liner who has the talent to put the puck in the net. Nothing wrong with that. And on this team, there isnt any shame playing on the fourth line. When, like you said, he is forechecking and using the body, he is very effective. When he starts watching Kane and thinks he is that type of player, Q firmly and quickly puts him on the bench. Its make it or trade it time for him. Let him take Pluggig's roster spot and go from there. I would eat a whole bunch of crow if he becomes a 20 goal guy in this league.

I do know the concussions effected him. Hopefully that crap is past him and he can be that type of player.

CUBS?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2 words - Crawford Sucks!

New to hockey or just trolling?

Anyone with any knowledge of hockey watching these playoffs knows that while Crow will let in a soft goal once in a while, as all goalies do, he was farthest from the weak link on the team. The D in front of him (and often behind him, hence all the centering passes) failed miserably far more than Crow ever did.

No goalie will stop everything, especially when the chances coming at them are coming with screens in front, deflections off those screens, and/or centering passes allowed by the D which give LA wide open net to shoot at.

Crow won a Cup and kept us in the hunt for this one and in the end he did not fail us, but IMO Nick Leddy failed us quite badly when he lost his stick, was late getting to his D position, could not get out far enough to effectively challenge the shot coming at him, screened his own goalie trying to make a block too shallow in his zone, and finally failed to make the shot block allowing a lazy puck in to be deflected right in front of Crow and in to the net.

Leddy is not a bad hockey player, but he was a big reason that final goal got in and his teammates played D in similarly bad fashion for most of the goals that got by Crow.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Highly disagree with your assessment of Morin. I thought he and Regin teamed up to be forechecking nightmares for the two weeks that Toews and Kane were out in the regular season. Morin averaged about half a point in his 24 regular season games this year despite rarely cracking 10 minutes of ice time. He can be a productive 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL and then maybe work his way up to the Top 6 some day.

I think Morin will be more than that proclamation but when you look at how he got used in the regular season. No Hawk, not even Kane got as high of an offensive zone start percentage.

I think we'll see him treated like Stalgod by Q next year, he may end up with more than ideal 4th line minutes. Obviously it would be tough to circumvent if he and Steeger remain on the roster.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

corey

Liked Posts:
New to hockey or just trolling?

Anyone with any knowledge of hockey watching these playoffs knows that while Crow will let in a soft goal once in a while, as all goalies do, he was farthest from the weak link on the team. The D in front of him (and often behind him, hence all the centering passes) failed miserably far more than Crow ever did.

No goalie will stop everything, especially when the chances coming at them are coming with screens in front, deflections off those screens, and/or centering passes allowed by the D which give LA wide open net to shoot at.

Crow won a Cup and kept us in the hunt for this one and in the end he did not fail us, but IMO Nick Leddy failed us quite badly when he lost his stick, was late getting to his D position, could not get out far enough to effectively challenge the shot coming at him, screened his own goalie trying to make a block too shallow in his zone, and finally failed to make the shot block allowing a lazy puck in to be deflected right in front of Crow and in to the net.

Leddy is not a bad hockey player, but he was a big reason that final goal got in and his teammates played D in similarly bad fashion for most of the goals that got by Crow.

I agree Leddy was awful.

But I disagree on Crawford. He was awful to start the St. Louis series and I dont think he played well against the Kings either.

I will say that the Hawks have the worst strategy as far as defense late in the periods. They lose all sense of there zone and skate to the net.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree Leddy was awful.

But I disagree on Crawford. He was awful to start the St. Louis series and I dont think he played well against the Kings either.

I will say that the Hawks have the worst strategy as far as defense late in the periods. They lose all sense of there zone and skate to the net.

Yeah definitely disagree... as DMelt asked of people complaining about Crow before, can you provide examples of him giving up mostly soft goals in a performance you deemed to be bad?

If Crawford was the problem, if he sucks as you claim.... then we ought to have like 10-20 examples of Crow giving up soft goals where the D played well and Crow just didn't stop pucks he would be expected to stop. If I was seeing that through 3 playoff series I would be right there with you, but I didn't.

All I kept seeing were D men out of position, D men turning over pucks in their own zone, D men not clearing the screens away from Crawford, D men falling down or getting outskated by the guy they were supposed to be covering.

And those are just the D men making mistakes, you then have our forwards who gave LA, who has one of the best, if not the best PP in the NHL, lots of PPs where again our D would fail and Crow was trying to stop pucks with screens in front and deflected pucks off of screens.

Can you break down any situations where you saw Crow out of position or given the best chance to make a save and he did not make it?

You say he was "awful".... how was he awful, what do you mean?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I agree Leddy was awful.

Let's not forget Versteeg, was sought and signed based on past playoff performances...and did nothing.

I complain about Crawford as much as anyone here, but it was the little things that lost the series. 4 or even 5 players I can think of made minor(or in a few cases major)errors, which in turn contributed to a few Crow mistakes.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah definitely disagree... as DMelt asked of people complaining about Crow before, can you provide examples of him giving up mostly soft goals in a performance you deemed to be bad?

If Crawford was the problem, if he sucks as you claim.... then we ought to have like 10-20 examples of Crow giving up soft goals where the D played well and Crow just didn't stop pucks he would be expected to stop. If I was seeing that through 3 playoff series I would be right there with you, but I didn't.

All I kept seeing were D men out of position, D men turning over pucks in their own zone, D men not clearing the screens away from Crawford, D men falling down or getting outskated by the guy they were supposed to be covering.

And those are just the D men making mistakes, you then have our forwards who gave LA, who has one of the best, if not the best PP in the NHL, lots of PPs where again our D would fail and Crow was trying to stop pucks with screens in front and deflected pucks off of screens.

Can you break down any situations where you saw Crow out of position or given the best chance to make a save and he did not make it?

You say he was "awful".... how was he awful, what do you mean?

Oh, I think I know what he meant. Crow was just awful on the high screen shots from between the circles that the King point men were allowed to take unchallenged for a large portion of the series and almost all PP's. He was just awful trying to stop shots with two Kings in his crease and one or none Hawk "defenders" near by. Just terrible getting a good piece of a lot of shots and yet the puck STILL managed to somehow get in the net.

I guess he liked the play of Quick who got all the help in the world and still looked like shit.

Crow might not be a top 5 goalie but if the Hawks play and cover like they normally do....he's just fine.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree Leddy was awful.

I will say that the Hawks have the worst strategy as far as defense late in the periods. They lose all sense of there zone and
skate to the net.

I agree with each of your points. And that is why I said that this years team was not as good as last years. Obviously they could have still
won it all but I think that a strong defense after taking a lead was missing. I also think that they've lost some chippyness. They need someone
like Shaw but a bit bigger.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Majority of the LA goals, Crawf had no chance on but still not a 6 mil a year goaltender.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Majority of the LA goals, Crawf had no chance on but still not a 6 mil a year goaltender.

Wait a couple years....with these salaries skyrocketing, he'll be underpaid before it expires.

BTW, where the hell were you? You left me by myself to bash on Bollig.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Interesting point, but as said with the cap going up maybe not an issue.

What would you pay him based on his performance as the Hawk's net minder?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anything went wrong. We came one goal or one save away from another Stanley cup, eventually bowing out to the eventual champion in OT of a game 7.

Tough to take, just as it would have been for them. Game 2 really hurts, because we had 2 leads. Story of the series and these playoffs, we just kept coughing up leads.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was hilarious to watch the Boston media portray Seguin as some wild partier who was never going to make it in the league because he wasn't dedicated enough.

Then he went and had a career year for Dallas.

Seguin's story is what could have happened to the Hawks if they'd traded Kane.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Marchand might be the next to get that same treatment.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm highly skeptical that the Hawks plan for next year is Teravainen and his 3 (!) total games of NHL experience as the 2nd line center, especially after all the problems they've had addressing the position--no matter how good of a prospect he is. I think they'll look for a veteran stopgap who Q is comfortable with and who can actually keep up with Kane, and then hope that Teravainen eventually forces his way into the role for good. For a team that will contend for the Cup again next year, I can't see them relying on a totally unproven 21-year old with no solid backup plan.

You're not going to see that happen. Kane will have Saad and Shaw as linemates from the get. How that changes, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.