So What Went Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
It's Monday morning and the next Blackhawks hockey is 4 months away and everything sucks.

So where did it all go wrong?

First off, I'd like to state that this season was not a failure. Disappointment? Sure. But I don't think the Hawks failed because I don't think they're at the end of their run, by any means. Ya know who failed? The Blues failed. They shipped propsects and picks for a goalie and a center that didn't help them win the Cup. Mortgaged long-term success in the hopes of short-term rewards. Didn't work. They're fucked.

But something had to go wrong in Chicago, too, because this team had a roster worthy of a title.

I think Bowman can get a portion of the blame. While I do think the overall health of the franchise is in good shape, he still didn't acquire a 2C for the Hawks. Teuvo may be that guy in the future. But Pirri never panned out for whatever reason and Handzus wasn't able to play like the 2C he was in 2013. There also has to be some blame laid at his feet for the Hawks "big" acquisition of Kris Versteeg. I don't know what happened to the Steeger that we knew and loved in his first stint but this was not the same player. It's a miracle that the Hawks are only paying half his salary. The Kings had a big acquisition that scored the game-tying goal in Game 7. Versteeg was scratched in Game 6 and played a whopping 3:44 last night.

But I think the bigger blame is going to be directed at Quenneville. Do NOT take this as an endorsement for his firing. But Q made some head-scratching moves. Why he continued to play Bollig and Versteeg in the postseason when more capable options like Morin, Regin, and Nordstrom were watching from the press box continues to baffle me. Playing Zus I could live with because of his defensive prowess. But Bollig and Versteeg did nothing. The Hawks won their Cups because they had 4 capable lines. Putting those two in the lineup dropped them down to 3 and made them a bit easier to deal with. That little bit was enough to give the Kings a series win.

There's also the issue of how Q has been handling Hawks prospects, in general. Saad only got put on the first line when Carcillo got hurt a few years back. Pirri never really got a fair shot, IMO, and was shipped out of town. Joakim Nordstrom is probably the only prospect who got better this year. I keep bringing up names like Teuvo, Danault, McNeill, Clendening, and more but what's the point of having prospects if your coach isn't going to play them?

Hopefully this WCF exit leads to Q re-thinking some of his personnel moves. The Hawks have more than enough talent to coast through the regular season and into a top seed in the West. But they've also got to use those regular season games to give these younger players a chance to develop. Let 10-19-88-81-2-7 and the rest carry the regular season load while those young players get use to the NHL game. Then get your FOUR best lines together and run to the Cup in 2014.

There, I feel better now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty well said. I'd like to add that I didn't think they were as responsible on defense as they have been in the past. I thought their lapses on coverage was very noticeable and if it wasn't for Crawford, they could have been eliminated as early as the Minnesota series. In these last two series they left Crawford out on an island far more than they ever did last year and how many times did we see two Kings right in front of him with no Hawk in sight?

As for Q, like you said....his lineups were absolutely bizarre. He made one ingenious move by using Brookbank as a swing man, then he even put that on the backburner. The real problem with Bollig and Versteeg was the long OT games where the three playing lines would get tired and he'd be forced to play them (Bollig & Steeger) at a point in the game where one mistake is deadly. I still like him a lot but he was definitely out-coached this year.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Good points and I agree with all of them.

I also think 9 players playing ~200 games of competitive, meaningful hockey since January 2013 had a toll on the roster, and even through the toll, they still came within 1 goal of advancing. A full of season of summer without parades, PR tours, Cup trips etc. might be a benefit for the players for the next 3-5 years.

With that, I really think that this series loss may be better off for the franchise going forward. It gives the players, coaching staff, and executives that renewed sense of commitment to win another Stanley Cup. It was there this year, don't get me wrong, but I believe a heart-breaking, close loss forces a team to retool (i.e. move on from Bollig, Leddy, Zus, etc.) vs winning another cup and remaining relatively complacent.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good points and I agree with all of them.

I also think 9 players playing ~200 games of competitive, meaningful hockey since January 2013 had a toll on the roster, and even through the toll, they still came within 1 goal of advancing. A full of season of summer without parades, PR tours, Cup trips etc. might be a benefit for the players for the next 3-5 years.

With that, I really think that this series loss may be better off for the franchise going forward. It gives the players, coaching staff, and executives that renewed sense of commitment to win another Stanley Cup. It was there this year, don't get me wrong, but I believe a heart-breaking, close loss forces a team to retool (i.e. move on from Bollig, Leddy, Zus, etc.) vs winning another cup and remaining relatively complacent.

All very good points but the bottom line is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Anything can happen....from injuries to sudden retirements to bad trades. When you get one game from the Finals, you better get that one game while you can.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also worth noting that the Kings have just about their entire roster locked up for next season.

Notable FAs include Marian Gaborik (leading goal-scorer thus far), Dwight King, Willie Mitchell, and Matt Greene. Dwight King is a RFA, the rest un-restricted.

So not at all out of the question to expect this matchup against next May.

Kings have a tumultuous 2015 season though. Tons of RFAs, including 2/3 of the 70s Line.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All very good points but the bottom line is that tomorrow is promised to no one. Anything can happen....from injuries to sudden retirements to bad trades. When you get one game from the Finals, you better get that one game while you can.

True. I'm saying that to feel a little bit better about their efforts. :)

The disappointment for me (maybe I'm not as much of a Diehard ;) is lessened for the Blackhawks because they won 2 Cups in 4 years.

The Cubs and Bears and now perhaps the Bulls...yeah there'd be some more disappointment on my end in them falling short.

And also, Darryl Sutter is a classy guy, so seeing his team win isn't terribly upsetting to me.

Also worth noting that the Kings have just about their entire roster locked up for next season.

Notable FAs include Marian Gaborik (leading goal-scorer thus far), Dwight King, Willie Mitchell, and Matt Greene. Dwight King is a RFA, the rest un-restricted.

So not at all out of the question to expect this matchup against next May.

Kings have a tumultuous 2015 season though. Tons of RFAs, including 2/3 of the 70s Line.
Richards is making $6M a year through 2019-20 for a 4th line center...I know he's good on the PK...but you'd have to think he'd be a cap casualty at some point.

Last edited:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Definitely. That's why there's still some disappointment from this year's result.

But I still like the big picture.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Qs lineups... I have a huge problem with his strategy when we are up goals...

We can have a team like the Kings completely baffled and on their heels with a 2 goal lead early and instead of trying to keep the pressure on them and turn the game into a shootout... we fall back on our lead and start playing in our own zone like we are on a PK...

After we scored the second goal we stopped fore-checking and fell back to our blue line hardly pressuring the puck... This is fucking game 7 of the NHL western conference finals not a regular season game...

In the NHL even the worst teams can score and come back when you play a totally defensive style... we saw more 2 goal leads disappear this year than we had in the 2 previous... We have some of the best puck possession players in the league and instead of playing to our own strengths we let the other team control the puck and rip shots at our goalie thinking they wont eventually end up with a lucky rebound or a deflected puck in the back of the net... Our defense is great at blocking shots and are as talented as any group in the league... but when you choose to play in your own zone you need to come to the realization that the only team that can catch a lucky break is the team in the offensive zone... not only that, the player more likely to get penalized is the one who is playing defense in his own zone and needs to take a penalty to prevent a goal...

basically there is almost never a good reason to play hockey defensively in the NHL.... The teams are too talented to take for granted their offensive abilities... If you want to kill the clock and play defense get a good cycle in the offensive zone, force turnovers and keep the pressure on... you don't have to put the puck on the net or score goals, you only have to control the puck in the offensive zone for as long as you can in order to wear out the other team... forcing them to constantly play with a tired line or change their lines as they transition from offense to defense... Instead of the other way around...

B18

Fresh Legs
Liked Posts:
The first big issue of this post season was the lack of keeping a lead. Too many times we had a lead in a game and almost always gave up a shit goal. We also needed to keep this series with the kings a bit closer than 3-1. Sure we are good when against the wall, however a team like the kings will eventually make you pay. In our case they made us pay at the very last moment possible in the series. The heart breaking goal that ended our season could have easily been in game 5. We showed some great resiliency and skill by forcing a game 7. In that game 7 we gave a lead up 3 fuckin times, you can't do that against LA. Need to retool for next year. I'd really appreciate a solid 2c and replacing some of the older fellas with younger talents. I have no doubt in my mind we will be watching another deep playoff run by the Hawks next season.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I live in Boston and the B's try to play defense first and once they traded away Seguin they were done. I agree, you can win a lot of games during the season playing D (like the bulls) but in the finals you better have four 30+ goal scorers. IMO of course

I'm still bummed about that game man

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The main culprit, quite simply, was a lack of depth. This year's team was easily the least-deep compared to 2010 and 2013. The Blackhawks essentially played on three lines because the fourth was so atrocious, and the few minutes that fourth line was on the ice typically resulted in defensive zone turnovers and goals, a total lack of puck possession, or stupid penalties. In the best case scenario, the Hawks got away unscathed while any offensive momentum they had was completely halted as soon as Bollig and Versteeg stepped on the ice. And the less said about the back-bench "defensemen" the better.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think something to keep in mind, for the sake of perspective is this... If we had cashed in on one of our OT chances we would be in the Stanley Cup Final with a very good chance to take the Cup once again from the Rangers.

I am not saying we cannot improve, I think replacing Rozival and Zeus would be good and figuring out 2C and maybe adding a 3C or 4C depending on where you put Kruger, plus we could use a lock down guy on our 3rd line at winger. However, lets not act like this team was so far out of competition against LA that we need to go crazy..... As with every year we will look to add some more talent, keep the core intact, and make another run.

People like to talk about us missing Dave Bolland and IMO we do miss a solid 3C, but idk that Bolland is still that guy..... but heres one for you.... remember Michael Frolik? And before him remember Tomas Kopecky? I think we missed that role player on the 3rd line this year..... especially Frolik with his ability on the PK.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Qs lineups... I have a huge problem with his strategy when we are up goals...

We can have a team like the Kings completely baffled and on their heels with a 2 goal lead early and instead of trying to keep the pressure on them and turn the game into a shootout... we fall back on our lead and start playing in our own zone like we are on a PK...

After we scored the second goal we stopped fore-checking and fell back to our blue line hardly pressuring the puck... This is fucking game 7 of the NHL western conference finals not a regular season game...

In the NHL even the worst teams can score and come back when you play a totally defensive style... we saw more 2 goal leads disappear this year than we had in the 2 previous... We have some of the best puck possession players in the league and instead of playing to our own strengths we let the other team control the puck and rip shots at our goalie thinking they wont eventually end up with a lucky rebound or a deflected puck in the back of the net... Our defense is great at blocking shots and are as talented as any group in the league... but when you choose to play in your own zone you need to come to the realization that the only team that can catch a lucky break is the team in the offensive zone... not only that, the player more likely to get penalized is the one who is playing defense in his own zone and needs to take a penalty to prevent a goal...

basically there is almost never a good reason to play hockey defensively in the NHL.... The teams are too talented to take for granted their offensive abilities... If you want to kill the clock and play defense get a good cycle in the offensive zone, force turnovers and keep the pressure on... you don't have to put the puck on the net or score goals, you only have to control the puck in the offensive zone for as long as you can in order to wear out the other team... forcing them to constantly play with a tired line or change their lines as they transition from offense to defense... Instead of the other way around...

I don't recall a point in Game 7 where I saw either team playing a defensive shell.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
If the Hawks four centers next year were, in order, Toews-Teuvo-Kruger-Regin I think that'd be a pretty solid middle.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those 4, if Teuvo adds on to what he did this year gets the Hawks past LA.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't recall a point in Game 7 where I saw either team playing a defensive shell.

No... but people seem to forget there are 2 sides to every coin.... the other team getting aggressive does not mean your team decided to get defensive..... The Hawks don't drive every aspect of every hockey game.... if they did they would never leave their opponents zone and they would score 50 goals a game.

When the other team has the puck you have to play defense..... when they get aggressive in controlling the puck and forcing it in your zone you are forced to play D in your own zone until you can get control of the puck and take it back the other way.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I live in Boston and the B's try to play defense first and once they traded away Seguin they were done. I agree, you can win a lot of games during the season playing D (like the bulls) but in the finals you better have four 30+ goal scorers. IMO of course

I'm still bummed about that game man

It was hilarious to watch the Boston media portray Seguin as some wild partier who was never going to make it in the league because he wasn't dedicated enough.

Then he went and had a career year for Dallas.

Seguin's story is what could have happened to the Hawks if they'd traded Kane.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
LA is good too
/thread

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If the Hawks four centers next year were, in order, Toews-Teuvo-Kruger-Regin I think that'd be a pretty solid middle.

Toews, Shaw, Teravainen, Kruger

Status
Not open for further replies.