2014 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liked Posts:
Is anyone here up to speed on some of the players the Blackhawks might be drafting. Since my main team lost in the first round, I've likely had a few weeks head start over some of you. Here's a website that gives you some idea of who might be available and describes what they're about: http://lastwordonsports.com/category/hockey-2/topshelfprospects/page/2/

I'm kind of hoping for Scherbak, Bleakley, Sandheim, McKeown, or Vrana to be drafted by the Avs.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I see Demko dropping to the Hawks and Bowman sprinting up to the podium to call his name.

Ho Sang might be there, that would also be a win.

CUBS?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Saw some chatter about Bleakley awhile back among Blackhawks bloggers. Can't remember why but they had him pegged as the type of guy the Hawks tend to draft.

Liked Posts:
Saw some chatter about Bleakley awhile back among Blackhawks bloggers. Can't remember why but they had him pegged as the type of guy the Hawks tend to draft.

People often peg him as a guy who projects from a 3rd line center to a top 6 center. One of the reasons he gets pegged as a third line center is because he does almost everything well. He's just not great at anything, which isn't necessarily bad. His defense is supposed to be further along than most other prospects.

He does enough things well to justify saying he has a high floor. But I worry his ceiling is lower than one would hope. But on the other hand is RH, which the Avs only have 2 of in their forward group.

I really like Scherbak and I was scared off of McKeown for a while but then I remembered he seems almost perfect for Roy's defense.

Since the Blackhawks are further along than the Avs with their talent pipeline, Karlsson and Petterson are a couple of Swedes that might have big upside. Petterson could be a monster once he grows into his body.

Liked Posts:
I see Demko dropping to the Hawks and Bowman sprinting up to the podium to call his name.

Ho Sang might be there, that would also be a win.

CUBS?

The issue I've had with Ho-Sang was continuously seeing him listed at 160 lbs.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think we can go ahead and pencil in 2323 as our go-to draft guy. Good stuff.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think we can go ahead and pencil in 2323 as our go-to draft guy. Good stuff.

I will be totally honest and say I have never bothered to pay attention to the NHL Draft.... I only ever watched college hockey when I was at UIUC and they had a club team, not an NCAA team, but they were very good my first 2 years.... went undefeated one year.

Anyways, what is the expectation in the NHL for draftees? I mean 1st round pick is unlikely to get on your NHL roster in the 1st year right? So you draft your guys and what, like 2-3 years in the AHL (or other minor leagues) you expect them to start coming up to the NHL and showing you something?

Liked Posts:
I will be totally honest and say I have never bothered to pay attention to the NHL Draft.... I only ever watched college hockey when I was at UIUC and they had a club team, not an NCAA team, but they were very good my first 2 years.... went undefeated one year.

Anyways, what is the expectation in the NHL for draftees? I mean 1st round pick is unlikely to get on your NHL roster in the 1st year right? So you draft your guys and what, like 2-3 years in the AHL (or other minor leagues) you expect them to start coming up to the NHL and showing you something?

It depends. A lot of guys go back to their old teams initially. Then they'll go to an AHL team. Defensemen typically take longer to develop. A lot of these guys need to add a lot of muscle before going to the NHL, which is truly a grown man's league. When you look at a lot of guys slotted to possibly go in the first round have projections of being NHL ready in 1-3 years. But it depends on their positions, make up, and whether they have a skill set to go directly to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.