Versteeg Is Coming Back

nick.santangelo.9

Liked Posts:
We expect more going forward,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville added, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
really doesn't mean much unless there is more to this story

nick.santangelo.9

Liked Posts:
From NBC Sports:

Even with the Florida Panthers retaining half of Kris Versteeg‘s cap hit when they sent him to Chicago, the Blackhawks didn’t get great value out of the 28-year-old forward.

Chicago made him a healthy scratch four times in the playoffs and even when he was in the lineup, he only averaged 11:55 minutes per game. With the Blackhawks’ season on the line in Game 7 of the Western Conference Final, Versteeg played in seven shifts, totaling 3:44 minutes to set a new playoff low for the second straight contest.

Still, the Blackhawks aren’t done with Versteeg. He’s signed through 2015-16 and although Chicago could buy him out — it would have to be a regular one as they’ve already spent their cap-free compliance buyouts — they won’t do that, per NHL.com’s Brian Hedger.

“We expect more going forward,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville added, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc.

Chicago’s hoping that Versteeg will benefit from a full offseason where he can work on his conditioning. He was still dealing with a knee injury through the summer of 2013 that stemmed from the lockout-shortened campaign.

Prior to the lockout, Versteeg scored at least 20 goals in four straight campaigns.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Considering Versteeg's cap hit is a poultry $2.2 million, I think the Hawks can afford to see if a full offseason of training gets that knee back to 100 percent and Versteeg turns into the player that he was in his first stint with Chicago.

Steeger had a 50-point season for the Panthers, so it's not like he didn't find success outside of Chicago. Hopefully that injury explains his subpar 2013-14 season in Chicago.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Considering Versteeg's cap hit is a poultry $2.2 million, I think the Hawks can afford to see if a full offseason of training gets that knee back to 100 percent and Versteeg turns into the player that he was in his first stint with Chicago.

Steeger had a 50-point season for the Panthers, so it's not like he didn't find success outside of Chicago. Hopefully that injury explains his subpar 2013-14 season in Chicago.

This, I liked Steeger on our 3rd line when he was here for the 2009-2010 Cup run, though I always found it funny how much he tried to be Patrick Kane when he would stick handle the puck in to the offensive zone.

He definitely has better hockey in him than what we saw with this 2nd stint on the Blackhawks.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

His cap hit is a chicken? :gary:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His cap hit is a chicken? :gary:

No, I think he means this.....

ChickenCap.jpg

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
They have no choice but to keep him. Who will trade for him when his value is so low?

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
They have no choice but to keep him. Who will trade for him when his value is so low?
Alot of teams. The guy can play on all four lines and be effective, plus, his cap hit is ungodly low for somebody who can play on the first line and not look out of place.

You keep Steeg at that cap hit. The guy has been hobbled for almost two years now without actual time to work on his conditioning. Give him a full off season with deal with his physical condition and he pots 20 next year. He wants to be here, let him be here. He was an effective PK'er in '10 but didnt have the strength to help out this year. His only vice is his condition. You need guys like him right now.

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
Alot of teams. The guy can play on all four lines and be effective, plus, his cap hit is ungodly low for somebody who can play on the first line and not look out of place.

You keep Steeg at that cap hit. The guy has been hobbled for almost two years now without actual time to work on his conditioning. Give him a full off season with deal with his physical condition and he pots 20 next year. He wants to be here, let him be here. He was an effective PK'er in '10 but didnt have the strength to help out this year. His only vice is his condition. You need guys like him right now.

I agree. At his best, he's a quality asset. At his average, he's a decent bottom-6 guy who can fill in anywhere. We saw him at his worst last year though, and it was just plain awful.

My biggest gripe with him is that he's filling a slot in the lineup that young guys like Morin could fill for even cheaper.