Jose Bareassed DFAed

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The irony here is that for all those who want the front office to spend more money on FA, two of the highest profile(using that term losely) signings of the past 3 years were Veras and Jackson.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The irony here is that for all those who want the front office to spend more money on FA, two of the highest profile(using that term losely) signings of the past 3 years were Veras and Jackson.

Yeah! Use that term VERY LOOSELY.

Of course, if Sanchez is signed, Jackson isn't on the team, so you could cut that in half. And as far as closers, the Cubs need to have in house guys. Hopefully Viscaino or someone coming up the ranks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah! Use that term VERY LOOSELY.

Of course, if Sanchez is signed, Jackson isn't on the team, so you could cut that in half. And as far as closers, the Cubs need to have in house guys. Hopefully Viscaino or someone coming up the ranks.

I'm not really trying to start *that* debate again. Just pointing out that it can be a minefield.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I think a reasonable person could have assumed that asking a guy to close for the first time in his career at 33 would have went bad.

The risks outweighed any potential rewards here. For a team on a budget, it was a terrible signing and there's no way around it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think a reasonable person could have assumed that asking a guy to close for the first time in his career at 33 would have went bad.

The risks outweighed any potential rewards here. For a team on a budget, it was a terrible signing and there's no way around it.

I think the plan was more an insurance that if Strop was terrible they had a vet arm. Obviously Veras started as the closer but most of the talk was that Strop sooner or later would be the closer. Now neither is closer.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree that we should not have banked on it, which I do not think that we did. We had a back up option in Strop. I disagree that closing for the first time at 33 has anything to do with it. I think we could have realized this by looking more at his career BB/9 rates which have been rather high. Averaging 4.73/9.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
http://f.njbai.rs/Fresh Prince - The Carlton Dance.gif
Fresh%20Prince%20-%20The%20Carlton%20Dance.gif

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I liked the Jose Veras signing and I am surprised at how much he struggled. He played well as the closer for the Astros last season before they traded him.