1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Typo in the title, sorry. America not American of course.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah. It's no longer a part of their cable/satellite market. Don't tell the burpers that, though.

Liked Posts:
WGN radio used a low ratings opt out to end their radio agreement. But then they extended 5 separate offers that were more equitable in light of the Cubs low ratings. Of course the Cubs think they're hit s*it, so they declined.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
WGN radio used a low ratings opt out to end their radio agreement. But then they extended 5 separate offers that were more equitable in light of the Cubs low ratings. Of course the Cubs think they're hit s*it, so they declined.

If you owned a business, would you not want to get the best deal?

Liked Posts:
If you owned a business, would you not want to get the best deal?

Do you know that the new station offered the better deal? Also, you have to look at the area WGN covers. There's value in being covered by a network that's largely national vs one that's only local. Admittedly, I'm not sure how accessible the Cubs will now be nationally but I doubt it will be like it is/was with WGN.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Do you know that the new station offered the better deal? Also, you have to look at the area WGN covers. There's value in being covered by a network that's largely national vs one that's only local. Admittedly, I'm not sure how accessible the Cubs will now be nationally but I doubt it will be like it is/was with WGN.

Well I have very little reason to believe that the Cubs actively decided "Lets take less money and less exposure".

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
This sucks. Is this all taken into account next season? I only have 1 more year of college so it'd be nice to continue to watch Chicago sports

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This sucks. Is this all taken into account next season? I only have 1 more year of college so it'd be nice to continue to watch Chicago sports

Yes, but you're a Packer fan, stop talking about watching Chicago sports! :fist: :smug2:

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yes, but you're a Packer fan, stop talking about watching Chicago sports! :fist: :smug2:

But the Bears aren't on WGN..

I blame the Cubs, about to have 300 loses over a 3 year span no wonder they lost revenue

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
I won't be able to watch the White Sox games at college. :-(

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
Saturday Bulls games will also be affected. I hope they get a lot of national games this season.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But the Bears aren't on WGN..

I blame the Cubs, about to have 300 loses over a 3 year span no wonder they lost revenue

The cubs WGN contract was up at the end of this season anyways. All indications are that they wouldn't have been even remotely competitive with other offers that are out there. They had a sweetheart deal from back when the trib owned both. Was bound to happen sooner or later.

Liked Posts:
Well I have very little reason to believe that the Cubs actively decided "Lets take less money and less exposure".

Less exposure in what sense? There could be a lot if reasons for why this might have been more emotional than well-reasoned.

Liked Posts:
The cubs WGN contract was up at the end of this season anyways. All indications are that they wouldn't have been even remotely competitive with other offers that are out there. They had a sweetheart deal from back when the trib owned both. Was bound to happen sooner or later.

I think I read something where they're price to cover the Cubs doubled while the Ricketts have owned the Cubs.

Found it. Excerpt:

. CHICAGO -- After 90 years and no World Series victories, the Chicago Cubs and WGN radio are going their separate ways.

The Cubs will announce a new, seven-year deal to broadcast games on WBBM Newsradio 780 AM on Thursday, according to media reports. The deal starts next season.

After 197 losses in two seasons, WGN used an opt-out clause in its contract due to declining ratings and revenue last fall, and couldn't come to terms with the Cubs on a new deal.

"We're very proud of our long-time association with the Cubs, but it has to make good business sense and the current arrangement does not," WGN radio president and general manager Jimmy de Castro said Wednesday morning on 87.7 The Game.

The deal with WGN, which was believed to be for $10 million a year, was inherited from when Sam Zell sold the Cubs to the Ricketts family in 2009, and "payment rights for the Cubs broadcast have doubled since that time," de Castro said Wednesday.

De Castro also noted that several weekend games late in the 2013 season showed no ratings points, as measured by the meter system.

De Castro said WGN radio presented the Cubs "with four or five" different deal structures to lessen the financial load on the radio station, but the Cubs weren't interested. One deal included the Cubs handling all the advertising and broadcast rights, while WGN simply aired the games for a minimal fee. Another included equity in the radio station.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think I read something where they're price to cover the Cubs doubled while the Ricketts have owned the Cubs.

Maybe. I don't know off hand. What I do know is what they were paying for cubs games compared to what other teams were getting was ridiculously low. WGN was paying around $20 million annually. The Dodgers got between $7 and 8 billion over 25 years. Even if you go on the low end and say $7 bil that's $280 mil annually. Now the cubs may not get that much for their TV rights but even if they get half you're talking about 5x what they are currently getting.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lmao.. wow seriously were gonna cry about games not being broadcast on 720 now ? and make a big deal out of it ?

WHO CARES..

very simple , just turn the dial to 780 and there they are with pat and comer...

plus with today technology, its very easy now on your phone, tablet, xm radio , etc. to find the games and listen to them nowadays..
so, those in Iowa, Indiana, Wisc. etc. can still listen to games..

this isn't a situation that needs to be over analyzed to death..

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Considering that the Cubs took the deal offered by the new station, I think it's safe to assume that they did offer the better deal.

There's also value in money.

The internet exists, I don't think accessibility is going to be an issue for the Cubs.

Found it. Excerpt:

WGN didn't want to pay that much. So they aren't. We want more money. So we're getting it. Makes sense from their end and our end. Pretty open and shut case.

Liked Posts:
Considering that the Cubs took the deal offered by the new station, I think it's safe to assume that they did offer the better deal.

There's also value in money.

The internet exists, I don't think accessibility is going to be an issue for the Cubs.

WGN didn't want to pay that much. So they aren't. We want more money. So we're getting it. Makes sense from their end and our end. Pretty open and shut case.

Building your brand through national exposure doesn't translate to money? Is that your contention or were you simply oblivious to this?

You might want to consider changing your name to Cpt Oblivious.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Building your brand through national exposure doesn't translate to money? Is that your contention or were you simply oblivious to this?

You might want to consider changing your name to Cpt Oblivious.

LOL. We're the Cubs. We don't need to build our brand. We're in the top 5 in terms of value and popularity despite being awful. Radio is also about the least effective way to build your brand these days. We are also going to make a shitton more money off of the upcoming TV deal coming in 2020 when the CSN contract expires in 2019.