IST: Chicago Cubs (25-35) at Pittsburgh Pirates (29-33) (June 9-June 12)

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Cubs Sweep!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cubs win 4 (Go Team Meatball!)

• Cubs win 1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Bonifacio out for the season...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Start the rumors! Who the Cubs going to bring up?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why we dont slide head first kids...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Pitch to him. His average like most dictate that they will make an out in 7 of every 10 AB's. I like the odds.

True. But his one hit lately is a 2 run HR haha

CSF77

Liked Posts:
PITTSBURGH -- Chicago Cubs outfielder Emilio Bonifacio left Thursday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Pirates after grounding out to the shortstop to lead off the game.

After making contact, Bonifacio fell to the dirt with what what the team described as an injury to his right rib cage.

Chris Coghlan took his place in the lineup playing left field, while Junior Lake moved over to center.

Bonifacio will receive additional evaluation, according to the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would promote Watkins IMO.

.303/.389/.401

Platoon him and Barney at 2B. Have Lake play FT CF with Cog/Rug platooning LF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
40 man roster:
Jackson, Kalish, Szczur, Watkins, Vitters, Villanueva, Alcantara.

Alcantara IMO if Bonifacio is extended out.
15 day DL Watkins.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cubs lose 2-0...

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't mind seeing Brett Jackson get another chance. Too bad he's hitting .203 in AAA

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like they will cut Sweeney's rehab.

PITTSBURGH -- Cubs leadoff batter Emilio Bonifacio had to leave Thursday's game because of a right rib cage injury.

The team did not expect to know the extent of the injury until further examination on Friday. The Cubs wrapped up a four-game series against the Pirates on Thursday, and were headed to Philadelphia after the game.

Bonifacio grounded out to short to start the game against the Pirates, but he never left the batter's box. As he swung, he fell to the ground, grimacing in pain. Head athletic trainer PJ Mainville had to support Bonifacio as he limped off the field.

Junior Lake switched from left to center field to fill in for Bonifacio, and Chris Coghlan came off the bench to play left. The Cubs have been carrying an extra pitcher, and playing short-handed as far as position players go.

Bonifacio is 1-for-11 in his last four games, but he's been the most versatile player on the Cubs, starting 36 games in center, 19 at second, and one at third. He batted .337 in the first month of the season, but has cooled off since, hitting .222 in 10 games this month.

Outfielder Ryan Sweeney, who has been on the disabled list since May 3 with a right hamstring strain, was scheduled to make a rehab start Thursday for Class A Kane County but was scratched from the Cougars' lineup. He could be headed to Philadelphia to join the big league team. Sweeney batted .200 in 20 games before he was injured.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't mind seeing Brett Jackson get another chance. Too bad he's hitting .203 in AAA

Why? They need to rid him and Vitters from the bounty of prospects in the organization. It is a pipe dream to think that they can hit at the major league level, when both struggle to hit at AAA. It's only a short time before neither will be mentioned as a Cub prospect.

If they were any good, other players wouldn't be light years ahead of them in the pecking order.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It will most likely be Sweeney going back to CF and Barney back to F/T 2B.

Barney is making over 2 mil to sit. Sweeney 1.5 mil.

Follow the $.

I can see Olt demoted soon. Valbuena has hit both LH and RH pitching and should go F/T at 3B.

I would put Olt at 1B in Iowa and have him focus 100% on hitting. Who knows if he will ever adjust but he never produced past AA ball and IMO needs to build confidence vs lesser pitching.

Jackson and Vitters I would believe will be cut this year. Neither has evolved into quality players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will most likely be Sweeney going back to CF and Barney back to F/T 2B.

Barney is making over 2 mil to sit. Sweeney 1.5 mil.

Follow the $.

I can see Olt demoted soon. Valbuena has hit both LH and RH pitching and should go F/T at 3B.

I would put Olt at 1B in Iowa and have him focus 100% on hitting. Who knows if he will ever adjust but he never produced past AA ball and IMO needs to build confidence vs lesser pitching.

Jackson and Vitters I would believe will be cut this year. Neither has evolved into quality players.
Barney actually had a nice night last night, and frankly is a better hitter than he has shown in the past two seasons. That said he isn't a good enough hitter to warrant full time play. Hopefully this means that Ruggiano starts getting more playing time because he is probably the best hitter in the OF, but it probably means just more short end of the platoon with Sweeney/Coghlan getting the lion share of the PT.

Valbuena as an everyday second baseman is starting to intrigue me more and more. Alcantara can be the swing guy with Baez moving to 3B and Bryant to RF. That might actually work.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Val will go into arb4 next year. I can't see them go further with him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Val will go into arb4 next year. I can't see them go further with him.

Why they did it with Schierholtz? Valbuena is under team control for the next two seasons, and I doubt he gets moved unless some team really really ponies up for him. Which why would a team do that? So think we get him for the next two years. The trajectory of the major league roster will determine if he stays beyond that point.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm still perplexed why they pitched to McCutchen after game 1.