Is the nature of ESPNs trolling programming partly responsible for...

Liked Posts:
...the twitter reactions that they try to rebuke?

Seriously, whether it's first take, Colin Cowherd, Numbes Never Lie, having Jef Van Gundy spew the diarrhea that regularly comes from his mouth live NBA broadcasts, or whatever else, ESPN has become increasingly heavy-handed in the way it trolls for fan reaction. The fact is, there are people who are engaged with the NBA who sit at home and have things they disagree with aimed at them by ESPN. The sad truth is that networks like to troll because it provides greater affirmation people are watching. People are less likely to respond to things they agree with. ESPN primarily but also others have been trolling their viewers/listeners for years.

And so, as a result, it should come as a surprise when there's some form of backlash on twitter. Various ESPN personalities try to admonish the reaction that they, in part, are behind.

Agreee or disagree?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
PTI is about all I can stand to watch, the rest of it is garbage.

czman

Liked Posts:
PTI is about all I can stand to watch, the rest of it is garbage.

I stopped watching ESPN a few years ago. They make news up on slow days and talk just to hear the sound of their own voice. PTI is still watchable. I don't tweet or read that shit either.

90% of the information that comes out of ESPN, that is not about something that just happened, is crap. Hell even the analysis they do on what just happened is usually garbage.

Liked Posts:
You guys are joking with this PTI stuff, right? Kornheiser and Wilbon also have their own biases that skews conversation on the sports landscape.

To wit, recently Jurgen Klinsmann made a comment about how American sports overpay athletes for what they've done in years past and not based on what they're worth now. It's hardly controversial. You can't really make the case for Bryant's salary in the context Klinsmann was talking about. He was right and he was also not wrong using Kobe as an example. Klinsmanns comments were hardly outrageous. How foes PTI react? Suddenly Wilbon turns into an ugly jingoist that makes it look like he's protecting his personal relationship with Kobe. And Kornheiser takes the predictable stance of a Jew who is hard wired to disagree with anything German.

And since this happened, they've been angling at Klnsmann hard.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
You guys are joking with this PTI stuff, right? Kornheiser and Wilbon also have their own biases that skews conversation on the sports landscape.

To wit, recently Jurgen Klinsmann made a comment about how American sports overpay athletes for what they've done in years past and not based on what they're worth now. It's hardly controversial. You can't really make the case for Bryant's salary in the context Klinsmann was talking about. He was right and he was also not wrong using Kobe as an example. Klinsmanns comments were hardly outrageous. How foes PTI react? Suddenly Wilbon turns into an ugly jingoist that makes it look like he's protecting his personal relationship with Kobe. And Kornheiser takes the predictable stance of a Jew who is hard wired to disagree with anything German.

Yeah, they made themselves look like stupid clowns. I lost respect for kornheiser, wilbon and the show.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Agreed, even Wilbon and Kornheiser have their biases. At least they're intelligent, informed, and entertaining. The same can't be said for the rest of the broadcast "journalist" on that network. I'd rather suck on a tailpipe than listen to Skip Bayless and Stephen A, or Mike Greenberg talking about the fucking Jets.

Liked Posts:
Whatever. I don't hate Wilbon or Kornheiser. I've long been a fan of theirs going back to their times on The a Sports Reporters when it was Dick Schaap. But these guys have crossed the pale here.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;nEU1v7VS9QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEU1v7VS9QI[/video]

PG/Harden/Lillard better than KD lmao

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Meh, you just gotta know what you're getting into when you watch/listen to that stuff.

I <3 Mike and Mike. They entertain me. That's all I'm going for when I listen to them.
I like Cowherd. He makes me think. I disagree w/ a lot of what he says, and I understand his ratings-driven agenda...but his show is good for what it is.

One thing I respect about ESPN is that they'd rather be right than first. The Calipari thing for example. Yahoo reported the figures between Cal and the Cavs...and they were wrong. ESPN waited about 5 hours, got the correct info, THEN reported. It is what it is.

Again, know what to expect, and it increases the enjoyment in the shows.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The worst guy of them all is Cowherd whoever. I hate the egotistical SOB. He pontificates way too much. To him the only player in the NBA is Lebron. His man love for the guy is pathetic. Now he is hawking the Knicks now that they've hired Fisher. Talking about that NY is a basketball town. Really? NY is a baseball town, Colan. But since now that NY has hired Jackson, he is going to have the Knicks in the championship race in two years. Says that Kobe will want to go to NY and re-unite with Fisher, HJackson, and Melo. Talked about how much better Fisher is as a coach than Kerr is. Said that Kerr would never fit in in NY. Ad Nauseum. All I know is that this jerk-off in about 3 minutes pissed me off to no end. I should have known better than even turning on that stupid station.

Liked Posts:
Meh, you just gotta know what you're getting into when you watch/listen to that stuff.

I <3 Mike and Mike. They entertain me. That's all I'm going for when I listen to them.
I like Cowherd. He makes me think. I disagree w/ a lot of what he says, and I understand his ratings-driven agenda...but his show is good for what it is.

One thing I respect about ESPN is that they'd rather be right than first. The Calipari thing for example. Yahoo reported the figures between Cal and the Cavs...and they were wrong. ESPN waited about 5 hours, got the correct info, THEN reported. It is what it is.

Well the topic at hand isn't whether any of us as individuals get enjoyment out of it. The issue is that on some macro level, they're combative/antagonistic programming is part of why people react the way they do on Twitter. So then, when people are extremely mean spirited towards someone like LeBron on twitter, espn personalities call this out without realizing or acknowledging espn is partly responsible.

Also, espn likes to act like they invented sports. Sometimes other outlets break stories first and espn will credit their guy.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

1) ESPN are ratings whores

2) My trash collector knows more about sports than Mike and Mike. You might as well watch The View because the content is about the same.

3) Cowherd is completely clueless about sports, and is agenda driven, which makes me turn the channel when he starts his rants. That said, he's a top notch broadcaster. I generally agree with him on most non-sports related topics. He is smarter, funnier and vastly more interesting than Greenberg and Golic.

4) Mike and Mike is just tired, corny and played out. Replacing them with Cowherd's energy and charisma in the morning would be great, but they'd probably lose the soccer mom and casual sports fan who listen to M&M during their commute.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're just now realizing this shit?