OT: The Hater's Guide to the World Cup

malcore

And Shirling:

[video=youtube;6gu3mbl8SAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gu3mbl8SAk&feature=kp[/video]

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the UK, soccer, cricket, rugby and snooker are probably the biggest four.

Oh yeah, cricket. There were some fellows that always played that in the park by my apartment in Minneapolis. They dress funny.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, cricket. There were some fellows that always played that in the park by my apartment in Minneapolis. They dress funny.

It might be the one sport that's even more boring than baseball.

The English love it. Go figure.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah. To be fair, it wasn't so much before you got here.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Depends on what you mean by big time. Soccer is the only one that's bigger than the main American sports, but of the advanced wealthy nations, America is the only one with a huge population. European countries are smaller so their domestic leagues in other sports aren't as big. Nor are the sports owned by advertising to the same extent. But mega TV money isn't what makes a sport good. I'd rather watch rugby than baseball any day despite it having probably less than 10% of the revenue.

Yeah. You look at the most popular sports in the US and see they're mostly all American made so from a spectators view there is a lot more to interest them than in these other countries that have always had the main spotlight on soccer. You'll always have a cult following for less popular spectator sports but clearly the US has a greater variety of very popular big time spectator sports.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It might be the one sport that's even more boring than baseball.

The English love it. Go figure.

I like baseball. I used to love baseball. The Brewers going to the World Series when I was 7 years old kind of hooked me into it. So did baseball cards. That's another thing about soccer that isn't really a draw to a kid, at least my age, growing up. I don't think there were soccer cards available. I don't know the rules of cricket. It didn't look boring when I glanced at it driving by in my car.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah. You look at the most popular sports in the US and see they're mostly all American made so from a spectators view there is a lot more to interest them than in these other countries that have always had the main spotlight on soccer. You'll always have a cult following for less popular spectator sports but clearly the US has a greater variety of very popular big time spectator sports.

Kinda. Most US sports aren't watched by many folks outside the US though. We tend to play our own sports here rather than competing internationally. In the UK, rugby league is probably as popular (pro rated for country size) as hockey, which still in itself isn't as popular as it is in Canada.

Only thing I can't grasp is why people watch cricket and baseball in any country.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like baseball. I used to love baseball. The Brewers going to the World Series when I was 7 years old kind of hooked me into it. So did baseball cards. That's another thing about soccer that isn't really a draw to a kid, at least my age, growing up. I don't think there were soccer cards available. I don't know the rules of cricket. It didn't look boring when I glanced at it driving by in my car.

There were in the UK. I collected them. They were obsessed over by boys our age. You'd fill your book (each team had its page) and take any doubles or triples you had to school to trade.

malcore

Cricket is a great late night sport when you can't sleep and have found a nice fat roach in the ashtray. Kind of the same appeal as a late night game of Australian Rules Football.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I clicked on this thread assuming it was directed towards the NFL.

While soccer is a pussy sport, the NFL has done nothing but soften the game.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"Aussie Rules is shit "

BearDownUnder

Thanks for your unbiased opinion.

I'd have thought you'd have some input on the sheep situation tho'?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hurling

[video=youtube;fgEMvRrOCRI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEMvRrOCRI[/video]

I worked with a guy from Ireland, he watched us playing fast pitch against the wall and told us about this other sport. Obviously we had no "hurling sticks" or whatever they're called. We brought in hockey sticks and the Mick taught us the basics. It is an awesome game. Fucking insane but fun as hell. One of our co-workers (not the guy from Ireland) was incredibly good, I mean as good as the guy that grew up playing the game. He was a real good baseball player, so based on that I guess:

1. Baseball instincts.
2. Soccer stamina.
3. Inner Lacrosse.
4. Hockey player toughness.

You a Hurler.

But soccer is the sporting equivalent of "Chutes and Ladders". It really is for children and third worlders.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's truly astonishing to me that the person who writes intelligent stuff like this can be the same person that posts such cringe-inducing ignorance here.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You expect Bearlick to read? Lol Biggest dolt of the forum award belongs to him alone

You got the award you did for a reason.

By the way, your name for me sucks. You could have used Beardick or Bearprick, both widely in circulation and available, and you come up with Bearlick? WTF does that even mean? disliked for the shitty creativity.