Jason Hammel Trade Rumor Thread

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the idea was to get him back playing this year in lower stress games. Next year he should be in the BP mix.

I can understand dealing out Hammel.

What if they sign him to a deal like Feldman signed.

Next year 12 mil.
then 10 mil and 8 mil in 2017.

Then he regresses.

We would be talking about another Jackson signing.

Career: 4.65 ERA 1.405 WHIP 6.7 SO/9 This year has been abnormal for him.
Jackson 4.50 ERA 1.444 WHIP 7.0 SO/9.

Career wise they are on the same level.

The chance he falls back like Wood did is greater than any "sustained" success.
I think the issue with Vizcaino is more about monitoring his workload versus the stress of the innings. If he was in the big league bullpen he couldn't be used every third day or every other day like he has been so far this year. Situations at a major league level determine opportunities for innings whereas in the minors Vizcaino can be penciled into the ninth inning every third day.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the third year in a row they've signed someone to get dealt. The return for Maholm has been non-existent. The return for Feldman has been much better than expected.

The return from Hammel will hopefully be similar to that of Feldman's, but its my belief that buying to sell isn't a way towards sustained success.

So we should keep Hammel?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
6 scouts watched Hammel last night.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Cardinals are down not one but two pitchers, Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia, after losing them both to shoulder injuries, MLB.com’s Jen Langosch writes. Wacha has what GM John Mozeliak called a “stress reaction,” and will miss several weeks. “He has been dealing with a little bit of shoulder irritation going back [four to five starts],” said Mozeliak. “Up to this point, we always thought it was manageable.” Garcia could not complete his regular bullpen session Sunday. The Cardinals are placing both pitchers on the disabled list, and they will announce corresponding moves on Monday. Here are more notes from throughout the big leagues.

Cards are 5.5 back in the division and clinging to the final wild card slot. Garcia hadn't been particularly effective anyways with his 4.12 ERA. Might be another team in the mix for Hammel. Stephen Piscotty would be an interesting piece to discuss around. Clearly they cubs need OF help and he's hitting .313/.372/.440 in AAA. With Oscar Taveras and Holliday as corner OFs and Piscotty better suited for RF he might be expendable. Kolten Wong has frankly been pretty terrible at 2B hitting .228/.282/.304. And he's been their best 2B. Perhaps a package of Hammel and Valbuena and filler for Piscotty and minor filler would make sense.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cards have been scouting price. They may be looking for a bigger fish then Hammel.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Cards have been scouting price. They may be looking for a bigger fish then Hammel.

a lot of teams have been scouting price...only one team will acquire him though. every team needs a backup plan. not saying st Louis will trade for hammel, just saying its likely they don't end up getting price and have to look elsewhere for starting pitching

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm not sure they have the ammo for what the Rays would want though. Piscotty while good was bottom half of the top 100 to start the season. Previous talks centered around Walker before the season. Maybe they could get creative and trade Martinez. I'm not sure. But, with Wacha and Wainwright going forward I'm not sure they *need* a top of the rotation guy. Seems like a rental would make more sense. That's why I didn't post this in the Shark thread either.

It's interesting how many teams are also struggling at 2B. I mentioned the Cards but you're also talking about the yanks, the jays, the O's could use an upgrade, Rockies, Royals all could be in the hunt for both Hammel and Valbuena.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
a lot of teams have been scouting price...only one team will acquire him though. every team needs a backup plan. not saying st Louis will trade for hammel, just saying its likely they don't end up getting price and have to look elsewhere for starting pitching

:deer:

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Piscotty for Hammel might as well be a pipe dream at this point. Some of the STL brass is convinced that this kid might be BETTER than Oscar Taveras.