Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;WOv4g552h5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOv4g552h5E&feature=kp[/video]

Bear06

Liked Posts:
I'm gutted by this. Altidore has looked great recently and I'm a little worried that Johannsson doesn't have the pace for this game. Hope he proves me wrong.

He has pace but he's not a hold up striker like Altidore which is vital in the system that Klinsmann likes to play. Hopefully Altidore's hamstring injury is not too serious.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
VDFyDKC.jpg

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
As one sided as the game looked I think the USA played a smart game......even just parking the bus they looked gassed. If they tried to go on the offensive they would have gotten smoked. Also they lost their best striker which would have been hard to change in game strategy.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think this stadium will be the worst conditions they play b in. Germany will dominate Ghana. Goodbye black stars.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I think its next to impossible for us to expect Altidore on Sunday. The best we can hope for is an extremely mild strain and with about 2 weeks rest, he can be back against Germany but I feat that is being overly optimistic. Klinsmann will need to figure out who he wants with Dempsey (assuming he can even play given that he thinks he has a broken nose and the next game is in the jungle of Brazil - might be hard for him to breathe). I'm think it will be Wondo with Dempsey.

As far as points go, USA in good shape. Here is the likely path for the USA to get out of group:

1) Germany beats Ghana next game
2) USA ties Portugal
3) If 1 and 2 happen, Germany essentially has the group clinched unless the USA beat them which I don't think is possible. Best outcome here is a 1-0 or 2-0 loss.
4) It then comes down to Portugal vs. Ghana. I think Ghana could win which would send USA through but even if Portugal win, they would need to score a shit load of goals to overcome their -4 goal differential.

USA in good shape but we need the draw against Portugal.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think its next to impossible for us to expect Altidore on Sunday. The best we can hope for is an extremely mild strain and with about 2 weeks rest, he can be back against Germany but I feat that is being overly optimistic. Klinsmann will need to figure out who he wants with Dempsey (assuming he can even play given that he thinks he has a broken nose and the next game is in the jungle of Brazil - might be hard for him to breathe). I'm think it will be Wondo with Dempsey.

As far as points go, USA in good shape. Here is the likely path for the USA to get out of group:

1) Germany beats Ghana next game
2) USA ties Portugal
3) If 1 and 2 happen, Germany essentially has the group clinched unless the USA beat them which I don't think is possible. Best outcome here is a 1-0 or 2-0 loss.
4) It then comes down to Portugal vs. Ghana. I think Ghana could win which would send USA through but even if Portugal win, they would need to score a shit load of goals to overcome their -4 goal differential.

USA in good shape but we need the draw against Portugal.

Or just beat Portugal and assume Germany beats Ghana and we are set.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Saw a sign today...
"Ghana? More like Ghana-rrhea!"

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
He has pace but he's not a hold up striker like Altidore which is vital in the system that Klinsmann likes to play. Hopefully Altidore's hamstring injury is not too serious.

You're right, what I meant to say was that he hasn't shown the ability (or confidence) to get shots off 1v1. Not really pace, but more quickness. It looked like every time he had the ball he would try a move, but get stuffed by the defenders.

Problem you alluded to is Johannsson is more a secondary striker and there's not really anyone on the squad who can play Altidore's hold up role effectively. Someone like Boyd would have come in handy there. I really wanted Altidore to do well this WC and hope he recovers quickly. Otherwise JK's going to have to change the offensive game plan up.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With Jozy more than likeley done until the knockouts, if they get through, I think the only thing they can do is play Clint up top. Let's face it, what America played today basically turned into a 4-5-1. And if they do that again, I would bring in Clint for Jozy, and then shuffle around the midefield with Zusi playing for Jermaine Jones who would shift more central. Also, Jones was by far one of the best Yanks on the field tonight. I would say the same lineup with only Zusi coming in for Jozy. Johansson can ball, but, in America's system, he won't be able to do as much as hoped. Great job USA.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
With Jozy more than likeley done until the knockouts, if they get through, I think the only thing they can do is play Clint up top. Let's face it, what America played today basically turned into a 4-5-1. And if they do that again, I would bring in Clint for Jozy, and then shuffle around the midefield with Zusi playing for Jermaine Jones who would shift more central. Also, Jones was by far one of the best Yanks on the field tonight. I would say the same lineup with only Zusi coming in for Jozy. Johansson can ball, but, in America's system, he won't be able to do as much as hoped. Great job USA.

Dempsey is probably the only viable option up top. Instead of Zusi you could also put Johnson in the midfield to focus more on attacking and provide some speed and play a back line of LB-JAB-Besler-Cameron. Not sure what lineup would be best though.