6/16 USA v Ghana

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Or just beat Portugal and assume Germany beats Ghana and we are set.

Ideal but I think asking for a W against Portugal is a bit over the top. While they didn't look great, they still have Ronaldo who certainly has the skill to dribble past any of our defenders.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
You're right, what I meant to say was that he hasn't shown the ability (or confidence) to get shots off 1v1. Not really pace, but more quickness. It looked like every time he had the ball he would try a move, but get stuffed by the defenders.

Problem you alluded to is Johannsson is more a secondary striker and there's not really anyone on the squad who can play Altidore's hold up role effectively. Someone like Boyd would have come in handy there. I really wanted Altidore to do well this WC and hope he recovers quickly. Otherwise JK's going to have to change the offensive game plan up.

He has shown that he can take on defenders 1v1 with a bit of quickness in the past, but it was really tough for him yesterday to get any support up front. I think it would be an interesting move if JK just puts Dempsey up top so he can start an extra midfielder like Zusi with Johannsson/Mix being the offensive sub options in the second half.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
He has shown that he can take on defenders 1v1 with a bit of quickness in the past, but it was really tough for him yesterday to get any support up front. I think it would be an interesting move if JK just puts Dempsey up top so he can start an extra midfielder like Zusi with Johannsson/Mix being the offensive sub options in the second half.

I just haven't seen it in any game besides the first game he played for the US but I could be mistaken and not remember clearly. Maybe the last couple of games he's played for the US have distorted my perception of him. I can see Dempsey playing up top, though he's not keen of it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ideal but I think asking for a W against Portugal is a bit over the top. While they didn't look great, they still have Ronaldo who certainly has the skill to dribble past any of our defenders.

Maybe asking for it is over the top, but hoping for it is not.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Zusi needs more playing time. He's been rock-solid.
And what happened to Bradley in this game? I've never seen him look so lost.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Bradley looked lost up until the 80th minute or so. After that he wasn't bad, helped them keep possession at times.

Hopefully he just had a bad game and it's out of his system.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They are going to have to pack the midfield again, but this time I think Bradley should be more central. Maybe that's why he looked out of depth. Maybe not. But against Portugal, they might as well go with a 5 man midfield again, KB, JJ, MB, GZ, and AB for the wings. Clint up top. The midfield got shit on against Ghana. If they don't go 5 what's gonna happen against Moutinho, Merielles, and Veloso.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
It was one of the worst games Bradley has had in years which was disappointing because it's the World Cup, but his performance did improve a bit in the last 20 minutes of the game. The good thing is that he can't play any worse than yesterday.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Yea he was truly terrible. Hope he gets his act together or JK is really going to be pressed about his decision not to include Landon.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Yea he was truly terrible. Hope he gets his act together or JK is really going to be pressed about his decision not to include Landon.

They play different positions so you can't really mention Donovan.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bradley looked lost up until the 80th minute or so. After that he wasn't bad, helped them keep possession at times.

Hopefully he just had a bad game and it's out of his system.

I hope it was just a bad game too but looking good for a few minutes after the 80th minute doesn't make change how badly he played overall. Usually the best player on the field for the US. Don't understand how he would just stink up the joint like that

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Donovan can play both forward and midfield. Actually I like him more at midfield than forward.

Yes, but on the right/left side of the midfield/wings. Bradley is a central midfielder.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Ghana is taking it to Germany right now. The more I watch this, the more I think the US had a great strategy against Ghana. They didn't let Ghana have many fast break opportunities and always had people back. Ghana will punish you for mistakes in the midfield with a fast counter. Instead the US forced them out wide and made them cross into a crowded box.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
This was really bad for the USA. A Germany win would have been much better.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Eh, Germany is gonna be mad and they're gonna take it out on the U.S. unfortunately.

If we beat Portugal, then I don't care... hoping for it.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If we beat Portugal, then I don't care... hoping for it.

I doubt very much that's going to happen. You're setting yourself up for massive disappointment if you go into the game expecting that.