1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I doubt very much that's going to happen. You're setting yourself up for massive disappointment if you go into the game expecting that.

Not "expecting" it, but I'd rather focus on the game at hand than automatically assume we don't do anything and hope for a result against Germany.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I doubt very much that's going to happen. You're setting yourself up for massive disappointment if you go into the game expecting that.

Not "expecting" it, but I'd rather focus on the game at hand than automatically assume we don't do anything and hope for a result against Germany.

Bear06

Liked Posts:

There's no need to be a debbie downer. The U.S. are missing Altidore but this is a winnable game especially with Pepe suspended, Coentrao out injured and c. ronaldo not 100% fit.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Not really. If the USA beats Portugal tomorrow they advance to the Round of 16.

Dude, you're not thinking here. Sure, if the USA wins, all is great. I'm thinking about all the scenarios. The ideal scenario would have been for Germany to dispose of Ghana by a comfortable margin. That way, if the USA lost against Portugal and against Germany, the USA could still advance if Ghana were to beat Portugal in the final game based upon goal differential.

It's like a game of Cards. Sure if you're dealt Pocket Aces, you're golden. But that is unlikely so you want to think about all your outs. The more outs, the better your odds. USA just lost an out.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
There's no need to be a debbie downer. The U.S. are missing Altidore but this is a winnable game especially with Pepe suspended, Coentrao out injured and c. ronaldo not 100% fit.

Okay and Dempsey is hurt, Bradley's ability is uncertain, and there were several other US players that looked in bad shape like Besler and Bedoya. Apparently they're fine but the rainforest conditions will test that.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Dude, you're not thinking here. Sure, if the USA wins, all is great. I'm thinking about all the scenarios. The ideal scenario would have been for Germany to dispose of Ghana by a comfortable margin. That way, if the USA lost against Portugal and against Germany, the USA could still advance if Ghana were to beat Portugal in the final game based upon goal differential.

It's like a game of Cards. Sure if you're dealt Pocket Aces, you're golden. But that is unlikely so you want to think about all your outs. The more outs, the better your odds. USA just lost an out.

No, you're the one who is not thinking and all that matters is that the U.S. control their own destiny. I wanted Germany to beat Ghana but I'm fine that they got a draw, because it gives the U.S. a chance to win the group which means they can possibly avoid Belgium in the Round of 16. Again that is if the U.S. beats Portugal and get a draw against Germany which is easier said than done, but team USA can make it happen.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Ghana is taking it to Germany right now. The more I watch this, the more I think the US had a great strategy against Ghana. They didn't let Ghana have many fast break opportunities and always had people back. Ghana will punish you for mistakes in the midfield with a fast counter. Instead the US forced them out wide and made them cross into a crowded box.

This! Klinsmann and his staff did a great job planning a great strategy against Ghana. The team is ready to face Portugal tomorrow. :buttrock:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I am thinking and all that matters is that the U.S. control their own destiny. I wanted Germany to beat Ghana but I'm fine that they got a draw, because it gives the U.S. a chance to win the group which means they can possibly avoid Belgium in the Round of 16. Again that is if the U.S. beats Portugal and get a draw against Germany which is easier said than done, but team USA can make it happen.

I don't give a shit about Belgium right now. All I care about is this group and getting out. If they do that, massive success.

Also, there is no way in hell Germany is letting the US win the group. That just ain't gonna happen.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
I don't give a shit about Belgium right now. All I care about is this group and getting out. If they do that, massive success.

Also, there is no way in hell Germany is letting the US win the group. That just ain't gonna happen.

A lot of people thought Germany were going to steamroll Ghana and look what happened. We'll see what happens though.

firefan2001

Liked Posts:

Well maybe the refs won't let Germany lose to the USA, like that hand ball (red card) that wasn't called against them in 2002.