OT: Sad National League News

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11091626/hall-famer-tony-gwynn-san-diego-padres-died

I never appreciated how awesome he was until later in his career.

IIRC he used to play wiffle ball in the off season to help keep his hand eye coordination.

tony-gwynn-hof-induction.jpg

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Very sad news. My condolences go out to his family. Big loss to the baseball community and community in general. RIP, Tony.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember reading about how Tony Gwynn served as a father figure for Prince Fielder as he was coming up through the Brewers system with Tony Gwynn Jr. Yes he was the greatest hitter I ever saw, but he seemed like a wonderful person as well. Truly sad BASEBALL news.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember reading about how Tony Gwynn served as a father figure for Prince Fielder as he was coming up through the Brewers system with Tony Gwynn Jr. Yes he was the greatest hitter I ever saw, but he seemed like a wonderful person as well. Truly sad BASEBALL news.

Everything I have ever read about him said how great of a person he was in life. He is also the type of hitter we may never see again. Didnt worry about long balls. Made insane adjustments. Hit it wherever the defense was not at. Used a short bat and the moment with him and Ted Williams at the all star game in Boston was amazing.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
First thing I seen when I clicked ESPN today. Blew my mind because I don't even remember hearing he had cancer... But sad day in baseball nonetheless, RIP Mr. Padre.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Never struck out against Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddux. Career .444 BA with bases loaded.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
He retired before my time. His stats though are absolutely unreal. Definitely one of the best hitters ever

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Had the pleasure of attending San Diego State when he was there. As several stories alluded to he was really there to play basketball (I believe he may still be the school’s all
PHP:
-time assists leader) but had always liked baseball so decided to play that in addition and decided that baseball was his best shot to get to the pros.

The mind boggling stat I heard today was that if he had played two additional years and never gotten another hit he would still have been a career .300 hitter. He was one of the greatest hitters of the modern era and more importantly a total class act.