Cubs have made a new extension offer to Shark.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/cubs-have-made-new-extension-offer-to-samardzija.html

Though most of the rumors surrounding Jeff Samardzija of late have understandably pertained to possible trade destinations, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Cubs are making a late push to extend their ace. Wittenmyer hears from multiple sources that the Cubs have offered Samardzija a new extension that would keep him in Chicago through 2019. While that contract length is the same as the previous five-year deals Chicago has offered, Wittenmyer says the new offer is for a higher guaranteed number than the previous $60-65MM figure that was proposed.

One source tells Wittenmyer that Samardzija would require something in the vicinity of the $17.5MM annual value that Homer Bailey received on his six-year, $105MM extension with the Reds. That deal, of course, essentially boiled down to a five-year, $95MM extension, as Bailey was already likely to earn about $10MM via arbitration in 2014.

Multiple sources also indicated to Wittenmyer that “at least” two teams, including the Blue Jays, have already had preliminary talks with the Cubs about Samardzija and exchanged potential names that could change hands. He adds that contenders that are looking for starting pitching this summer “still believe Samardzija is firmly on the market.”

A midseason extension for Samardzija certainly wouldn’t be unheard of; Cole Hamels was thought to be a trade candidate for a potentially rebuilding Phillies club in 2012, but Philadelphia instead inked him to a six-year, $144MM extension. Matt Cain signed a five-year extension that guaranteed him $112.5MM in new money shortly after the onset of the 2012 season, which could be a potential talking point in negotiations for Samardzija. That contract, however, was worked out entering Cain’s contract year, while Samardzija has one-and-a-half years of control remaining.

The Cubs are reportedly gauging the market value of Jason Hammel, Edwin Jackson and Jake Arrieta in addition to Samardzija — perhaps in an effort to assess what they can pull in via trade should they lock up their most valuable trade chip long-term rather than ship him elsewhere for what would surely be an impressive haul of prospects. Given Samardzija’s excellent season to date and the fact that he is controlled through 2015, it’s hard to envision the Cubs getting anything less than the package they received for two months of Matt Garza last summer. In my estimation, a team would have to top that package — C.J. Edwards, Mike Olt, Justin Grimm and Neil Ramirez — in order to pry Samardzija away from Chicago.

In 91 innings this season, Samardzija has pitched to a 2.77 ERA with 8.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and a 50.2 percent ground-ball rate. Both the walk rate and ground-ball rate would represent the best full-season marks of his career, should he maintain them. Sabermetric ERA estimators love Samardzija’s work even more than usual, as FIP pegs him at 2.95, xFIP at 3.27 and SIERA at 3.39.

So there's the rub of the situation. Either way this will likely be the crux of whether or not he's traded.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Castro and Rizzo had not bounced back so nicely, and if Bryant and others were not flashing in the minors I would say trade Shark and roll the dice on some young high upside arms.

But I can see what is coming with the Cubs.

I think you try and keep Jeff as the center piece to your rotation and you prepare for 2015 to be a much better year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would think the progression of Castro and Rizzo and that some boys are close to the majors. I think theo and them realize that this ship could go forward quick. Couple right Fa signings and anything possible. Look at the marlins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's why I believe Rizzo should be a 2 hitter when we actually get some hitters behind him. New studies show your best hitter should bat 2. Rizzo obp would be great there with power behind him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's why I believe Rizzo should be a 2 hitter when we actually get some hitters behind him. New studies show your best hitter should bat 2. Rizzo obp would be great there with power behind him

Not going to happen. It would kill his RBI potential.

Here is a sample of what they can do:

1: Sign Shark at Homer Bailey's deal.
2: Trade out Bonifacio, Hammel, Barney and see if some one over pays for Lake.
3. Promote Alcantara, Hendrick and Baez. Get the ball rolling.
4: Off season assess Soler. See if he is going to be healthy. If in doubt sign a F/A.
5: Start to project a line up.

What I see later year:

1: Alcantara CF
2: Lake/Cog LF
3: Rizzo 1B
4: Castro SS
5: Valbuena 3B
6: Baez 2B
7: Sweeney/Ruggiano RF
8: Castillo C

Going into next year the corner OF need a upg. Valbuena should stick at 3B. His glove is quality. Bryant moved over to a corner spot in the OF.

At most they could add a corner OF until something develops. If Soler starts to look like the hype and is in AAA don't bother. If waiting for Schwarber then sign a bat for a 3 year deal.

Logically you put Bryant in RF if Soler is a bust.

I wouldn't upg the staff until they can off Jackson. Eat 1/2 if needed.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm on my phone but later I will show you the study and the RBI potential isn't different usually

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad they're trying, I'd be all for keeping him at 17.5 a year

Say what you want about him but he won't be easy to replace

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs president Theo Epstein refused to acknowledge rumors that the team and pitcher Jeff Samardzija have renewed talks in an effort to sign the pitcher to a long-term deal before the July 31 trading deadline.

“We agreed earlier in the season not to speak about things publicly,” Epstein said Tuesday afternoon on the Waddle and Silvy Show on ESPN 1000. “The bottom line is nothing has changed. We think the world of Jeff. He has a year and a half left on his contract. We would love to find a way to keep him in Chicago for a long time. He’d love to be a Cub for a long time, but it’s a business and things aren’t quite that easy. We’re just not going to get into detail or give a public play-by-play.”

An industry source recently claimed the talks, first reported by the Chicago Sun-Times, are “status-quo,” meaning there is still a large gulf between the team and Samardzija, who can become a free agent after the 2015 season. A source close to the situation said Samardzija would “most likely” test free agency if he isn’t signed to a long-term deal by the end of this season, hence the Cubs' urgency to sign or trade him now. The same source indicated the price tag could be higher as Samardzija inches toward free agency. He’s looking for a deal in excess of $100 million.

Samardzija is making $5.345 million this year and is eligible for arbitration for one more season. He’ll turn 30 in January, and Epstein was asked if giving out a long-term deal to a pitcher of that age is against his philosophy.

“The only operating philosophy I have is try to build an organization that is so healthy, that drafts so well and acquires so many great young pitchers and has so much depth that you never have to give a long-term deal,” Epstein responded. “The only problem with that philosophy is its completely unrealistic.”

With pitching injuries on the rise there is concern a long-term deal for an over-30 pitcher isn’t smart. Epstein commended Samardzija’s ability to “stay out of the trainer’s room.”

“If you’re looking at pitchers, who’s a good bet to stay healthy? Jeff checks all the boxes,” Epstein said. “It’s complicated, it’s a business, there are a lot of variables at play.”

Samardzija is 2-6 with a 2.77 ERA this season in 14 starts. He’s the only pitcher in baseball with a sub-3.00 ERA with at least a dozen starts and fewer than three wins. Epstein was asked if he thinks Samardzija even wants to play for the Cubs, who are going through a long rebuilding process.

“I would caution against playing armchair psychologist with any player,” Epstein said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/24966/jeff-samardzija-talks-status-quo

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Glad they're trying, I'd be all for keeping him at 17.5 a year

Say what you want about him but he won't be easy to replace

He won't be easily replaced if the cubs plan on contending in the near future, whatever the definitions of near future means.
If he still wants to be part of this, hopefully soon to end build, he should settle for say 4/60?
That gives him enough time for another contract if he so chooses.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
He won't be easily replaced if the cubs plan on contending in the near future, whatever the definitions of near future means.
If he still wants to be part of this, hopefully soon to end build, he should settle for say 4/60?
That gives him enough time for another contract if he so chooses.

I think he would be nuts to take that deal. Realistically, this is probably his last chance at the mega bucks. If I were him I'd start the negotiation at 100 million plus. Why wouldn't he?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if he gets offered 100 million from any club, that club would be fucking stupid. He will never live up to it.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aww is somebody upset that Shark is having a good season? So, the Cubs sucks because they wont sign players but when they try to sign arguably their best player they are idiots?

:X

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
if he gets offered 100 million from any club, that club would be fucking stupid. He will never live up to it.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

See Homer Baily and the Reds. Way too much money.