Apparently Rizzo worked out with Votto last off season

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, because working out with Brandon Marshall in the off-season had no bearing on what Alshon Jeffrey did in his second season with the Bears. LOL. Did you know that when Tony Gwynn got older and his power numbers went up it was attributed to a conversation he had with Ted Willliams? That's all it took. He's the oldest guy to have 119 RBI, IIRC. Yeah. Off-season workouts/tips from greats isn't significant at all. Your argument about calling out the Votto thread is easily refutable.

wow. I guess Frank Thomas should talk to Adam Eaton, maybe he will hit more HRS. unreal.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If working out with other players doesn't do anything why do players do it?

It must have some affect.

Is it as important as many people think? It may vary by player and probably no good way to measure.......

It certainly is not a dumb thread and any comment to that degree needs to be taken with a grain of salt especially from a rival team fan.

Here we go with the rival fan rebut.

Anyway. discussing players who work out together is fine I guess, kind of stupid because there are a ton of work out partners. Does it have a benefit? sure. Is it measurable to ones career. doubtful. Should Rizzo working out with Votto have its own thread? absolutely not.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
then maybe he should just spend the time he has on his team forum..... oh wait there hardly anyone in the sox forum for him to talk too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

oh its always about the amount of fans and attendance isn't it? Geez I haven't heard that in like 4 days. :rolleyes:

new.material.please.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's pretty absurd you're comparing this topic and that one. Rizzo's walks are up 5% this year after working with the player who lead the majors in walk rate last year. That's not significant? 5% walk rate isn't a small amount. A 5% walk rate is low. A 10% walk rate is pretty good. Rizzo's current 15.8% walk rate is good for 6th best in the majors. Additionally, Votto is a lefty as well who hits lefty's at a career .292 average. After hitting .189 last year vs lefties Rizzo is hitting .338. So, to sit there and suggest it's entirely irrelevant seems inaccurate. I'm not saying Votto has some magic pixie dust that he put on Rizzo. I just thought it was interesting that after an off season working with Votto that Rizzo was having a very Votto like season.

Or maybe he is just getting better....I mean that does happen especially at that age no? :rolleyes:

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It's pretty absurd you're comparing this topic and that one. Rizzo's walks are up 5% this year after working with the player who lead the majors in walk rate last year. That's not significant? 5% walk rate isn't a small amount. A 5% walk rate is low. A 10% walk rate is pretty good. Rizzo's current 15.8% walk rate is good for 6th best in the majors. Additionally, Votto is a lefty as well who hits lefty's at a career .292 average. After hitting .189 last year vs lefties Rizzo is hitting .338. So, to sit there and suggest it's entirely irrelevant seems inaccurate. I'm not saying Votto has some magic pixie dust that he put on Rizzo. I just thought it was interesting that after an off season working with Votto that Rizzo was having a very Votto like season.

I believe Votto has been documented as saying that he absolutely hates the Cubs, so it's hard to believe he would help them in any way. Rizzo being Italian might be one thing to lend a fellow man a hand, but to help Navarro doesn't make any sense at all.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Or maybe he is just getting better....I mean that does happen especially at that age no? :rolleyes:

Maybe. But it's not that unheard of for players to pick up things from other players. How many pitchers are shown how someone uses a cutter well and suddenly the following year they are a totally different pitcher? Like I said before, I hadn't heard about it over the off season and thought it was interesting given the season Rizzo is having. I don't get why you're trying to be a dick about this. It wasn't a total homer thread where I compared 2 minor league players below AAA ball to two of the top 50 basketball players ever. All I did was point out that I didn't realize he'd worked with Votto and that given the high OBP season he is having I found it interesting. Maybe it means nothing but it really doesn't matter what level of impact Votto had on Rizzo because the end result is an all-star level player. Clearly something he did over the offseason was of a great benefit especially hitting lefties.

WC Jerome

King of the 'Universe'!!!
Liked Posts:
NW Indiana (just outside my hometown of Chicago)
Whatever is working for Rizzo, I say keep doing it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe Votto has been documented as saying that he absolutely hates the Cubs, so it's hard to believe he would help them in any way. Rizzo being Italian might be one thing to lend a fellow man a hand, but to help Navarro doesn't make any sense at all.

Well Navarro was a free agent in the offseason. It is likely that they worked out together prior to him signing a free agent deal, but don't know that for certain. At the rate Votto is going I am going to guess his front office is going to tell him to stop working out with Cubs players.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
just because a player dislikes a team he plays against doesn't mean he gonna hate all the players..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:

Navarro played for the Reds in 2012.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't much news. Players work out with each other all of the time. Good that it has helped though, Rizzo looks much more mature at the plate this year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Should Rizzo working out with Votto have its own thread? absolutely not.

just be glad people are discussing things in the forum. And it very well could deserve its own thread if you can draw parallels between Votto and Rizzo. Rizzo has become more patient in working the plate and it could very well have to do with working with Votto. If you really want an economy of threads, just have one and call it Cubs and everything gets posted there.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
lack of a reason to pitch to him???

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Castro's batting .298/.344/.525 in the cleanup spot (198 ABs)... that seems like a decent enough reason to pitch to Rizzo...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
just be glad people are discussing things in the forum. And it very well could deserve its own thread if you can draw parallels between Votto and Rizzo. Rizzo has become more patient in working the plate and it could very well have to do with working with Votto. If you really want an economy of threads, just have one and call it Cubs and everything gets posted there.

183266_583278051688017_73922259_n.jpg

I believe that's my next wife.

Last edited by a moderator: