Apparently Rizzo worked out with Votto last off season

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't remember reading this any where but Theo apparently dropped that in an interview with the score earlier. Here's a recap of it from bleacher nation

On the importance of makeup in developing players: The game is played by human beings. So character/values/makeup/etc. really matters as much as any performance metric you can look at, because it informs how the player actually plays. Really proud of the adjustments that Anthony Rizzo made over the offseason. He worked with Joey Votto (!!!), learned some things from Votto and from his own struggles last year. You now see Rizzo outthinking pitchers this year, taking the right approach in various situations. Those types of things happen from learning, from adversity, from resetting in the offseason, and from wanting to get better. (Wow – many of us have made remarks about the Rizzo/Votto comparison this year (“Votto-lite”), but it turns out there’s actually something to it. Rizzo has been so tremendously confident at the plate this year, he very much looks like Votto in that regard.)

It's pretty interesting because his approach this year has been quite Votto like with that stellar OBP.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I noticed the similarities as well. It is a great person to learn from and it shows.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:rolleyes: There is a laundry list of guys who work out with others. zomfgzzz he worked out with the vottozz. dumb thread, means nothing.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
:rolleyes: There is a laundry list of guys who work out with others. zomfgzzz he worked out with the vottozz. dumb thread, means nothing.

With posts like these, it's interesting that you complain about threads people start here.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Normally I agree wholeheartedly, but last year Dionner Navarro worked out with Votto in the offseason than had a career year. Rizzo seems to be on the same path right now. I would keep an eye on Votto as a possible hitting coach when he is done at the rate he is going.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Normally I agree wholeheartedly, but last year Dionner Navarro worked out with Votto in the offseason than had a career year. Rizzo seems to be on the same path right now. I would keep an eye on Votto as a possible hitting coach when he is done at the rate he is going.

I love dabs!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ignore Dews. He's worthless in the Cubs forum.

yes. yes I am. If it means calling out threads created about prospects possibly being the next Jordan/pippen combo, or the significance of votto working out with Rizzo etc etc etc than yes im pretty worthless. Thanks!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
yes. yes I am. If it means calling out threads created about prospects possibly being the next Jordan/pippen combo, or the significance of votto working out with Rizzo etc etc etc than yes im pretty worthless. Thanks!
Yeah, because working out with Brandon Marshall in the off-season had no bearing on what Alshon Jeffrey did in his second season with the Bears. LOL. Did you know that when Tony Gwynn got older and his power numbers went up it was attributed to a conversation he had with Ted Willliams? That's all it took. He's the oldest guy to have 119 RBI, IIRC. Yeah. Off-season workouts/tips from greats isn't significant at all. Your argument about calling out the Votto thread is easily refutable.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
because a " Dan Bernstein sucks " thread is a much better topic to discuss..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

It's pretty absurd you're comparing this topic and that one. Rizzo's walks are up 5% this year after working with the player who lead the majors in walk rate last year. That's not significant? 5% walk rate isn't a small amount. A 5% walk rate is low. A 10% walk rate is pretty good. Rizzo's current 15.8% walk rate is good for 6th best in the majors. Additionally, Votto is a lefty as well who hits lefty's at a career .292 average. After hitting .189 last year vs lefties Rizzo is hitting .338. So, to sit there and suggest it's entirely irrelevant seems inaccurate. I'm not saying Votto has some magic pixie dust that he put on Rizzo. I just thought it was interesting that after an off season working with Votto that Rizzo was having a very Votto like season.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
because a " Dan Bernstein sucks " thread is a much better topic to discuss..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

its an "off topic" thread. we are talking about a radio host not talking about 2 prospects possibly being the next jordan/pippen combo ( which is just stupid ) and the zomfgz of rizzo working out with votto. reach a little harder and you might actually grab something worth debating.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is cranky. Its a hard life when you run 5 businesses and mod an internet forum!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He is cranky. Its a hard life when you run 5 businesses and mod an internet forum!
then maybe he should just spend the time he has on his team forum..... oh wait there hardly anyone in the sox forum for him to talk too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If working out with other players doesn't do anything why do players do it?

It must have some affect.

Is it as important as many people think? It may vary by player and probably no good way to measure.......

It certainly is not a dumb thread and any comment to that degree needs to be taken with a grain of salt especially from a rival team fan.