6/22: USA vs. Portugal

Bear06

Liked Posts:
We already beat Ghana without Donovan, something a prime Donovan couldn't lead his team to back in 06 and 2010. It's time for some people to just move on already.

Reactions: 1ke

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
US needs more Zusi. Guy has been rock-solid. Would be nice to see Wondolowski as a sub too.
Bradley has to play better. If Johansson plays, he can't be pushed around like a candyass ala the Ghana game.

US wont win if they have to clear 45 times out of their own penalty area again (WC record).

and altidore should be back for group stage if the US makes it

While you're not necessarily wrong. Ease up on the kid. It's just not his game to hold play up like Jozy can. He is not asked to do it at AZ, so I don't expect him to do it on the biggest stage in the world.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Throwback Thursday

BqiibR7CUAEbgZi.png

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Was watching Mike & Mike this morning, he had 3 guests on and they were each asked to make a prediction for Portugal vs. USA. All 3 of the guests said USA 2-1 and Mike G. said a scoreless draw.

Before the tourney, nobody expected the USA to get out of this group, and now suddenly with a Ghana win (in a game the USA was outplayed) everyone seems to think the USA is a shoe in to get out. I fear a massive disappointment coming to some folks.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Was watching Mike & Mike this morning, he had 3 guests on and they were each asked to make a prediction for Portugal vs. USA. All 3 of the guests said USA 2-1 and Mike G. said a scoreless draw.

Before the tourney, nobody expected the USA to get out of this group, and now suddenly with a Ghana win (in a game the USA was outplayed) everyone seems to think the USA is a shoe in to get out. I fear a massive disappointment coming to some folks.

It was also a game where one of the best offensive threats the US have went out with injury, the other offensive threat could barely breathe with a broken nose, and their best distributor had one of the worst games of his life in a US jersey. And they still won against the team that knocked them out of the last two World Cups. If they had played the way they did without the injuries then I would be worried.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
It was also a game where one of the best offensive threats the US have went out with injury, the other offensive threat could barely breathe with a broken nose, and their best distributor had one of the worst games of his life in a US jersey. And they still won against the team that knocked them out of the last two World Cups. If they had played the way they did without the injuries then I would be worried.

Just keep in mind, Portugal has vastly superior players than the USA. If you went through each lineup and compared it player to player, I'm not sure the USA would even have any individual player advantages. Portugal should win the game. If they don't, it's an upset. I want the USA to at least get a draw but I am going to go into that game fully expecting a loss.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Just keep in mind, Portugal has vastly superior players than the USA. If you went through each lineup and compared it player to player, I'm not sure the USA would even have any individual player advantages. Portugal should win the game. If they don't, it's an upset. I want the USA to at least get a draw but I am going to go into that game fully expecting a loss.

That is undoubtedly true, but sometimes teams play worse than their players suggest they would play, and sometimes teams play better than the sum of their parts. If lineups on paper meant anything they wouldn't play the game. There are also issues with Portugal as well, such as their injury concerns, how their mostly European-based squad will adapt to the heat, and their inconsistency. I'm not saying that the US should win, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get points.

firefan2001

Liked Posts:
With a win against Portugal and USA moves into the knockout stage and have a chance to win the group we a win or tie against Germany.

GO USA!!!!!!!!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
With a win against Portugal and USA moves into the knockout stage and have a chance to win the group we a win or tie against Germany.

GO USA!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;17mJgQkZX9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17mJgQkZX9U[/video]

Bear06

Liked Posts:

Yeah, if Jozy didn't get injured, Dempsey didn't suffer a broken nose and Bradley didn't play his worst game in years I believe the U.S. would have probably beaten Ghana more comfortably.

Bear06

Liked Posts:

They have better players but they are inconsistent just like they showed in WCQ against the likes of Northern Ireland and Israel. It's an even match up between the USA and Portugal IMO.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Ghana tied them. Why can't we?

Ghana is better than the U.S. I think the U.S. was extremely fortunate to come out of the game with a win.

But more to the point, Germany has a history of winning the first game and slacking off in the 2nd game. With the group winner being decided in Game 3, you can expect Germany to come guns-a-blazin against the USA. USA will be lucky to lose 1-0.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Ghana is better than the U.S. I think the U.S. was extremely fortunate to come out of the game with a win.

But more to the point, Germany has a history of winning the first game and slacking off in the 2nd game. With the group winner being decided in Game 3, you can expect Germany to come guns-a-blazin against the USA. USA will be lucky to lose 1-0.

Ghana are not better than the U.S. If they were truly better then they would have beaten the U.S. but they didn't.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:

You really don't think much of this US team, do you?

firefan2001

Liked Posts:

Same thing Bear06 said.

USA beats Portugal today and moves in the knockout stage, while mighty Germany has to wait to Thursday to do so (maybe).