Should Jimmy Butler be "given" the starting job?

czman

Liked Posts:
No offense, but it's comical that people are just now realizing this after years of poor shooting and lack of offense from the Bulls. Defense gets you regular season wins, but above average, well balanced scoring gets you championships. I've been saying this for years.

How are you going to only bold half the damn sentence. Do you even know what "drove home" means?

Just for your reference, the Lakers and Celtics both had wings who could not shoot with Rondo and Artest and they 3 consecutive championships just a few years ago. You should not have been saying it for too many years.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Butler should work his ass off developing shooting guard skills including raising the arc on his jumpers. He reminds me a lot of Hinrich when he came into the NBA. Hinrich never improved his jump shot. He kept his same flawed arc on his shot. If Butler is going to improve and not be another Hinrich, this is his major flaw.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
LOL! More Butler hate. What a bunch of experts!!!!!

czman

Liked Posts:
LOL! More Butler hate. What a bunch of experts!!!!!

You do know Butler is shooting ~31% from 3 and ~38% from 16'to 3. He is not a good shooter. His shooting %s have been plummeting and he is not getting to the line as often. It is Mid December.

Lets see where Butler is in Feb. Lets see what this team looks like at that time.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You do know Butler is shooting ~31% from 3 and ~38% from 16'to 3. He is not a good shooter. His shooting %s have been plummeting and he is not getting to the line as often. It is Mid December.

Lets see where Butler is in Feb. Lets see what this team looks like at that time.
Probably because he's getting tired.

czman

Liked Posts:
Probably because he's getting tired.

If he is tired now he will be dead when the playoffs start. I don't think his shooting is all because he is tired. He is not a good shooter. He had a hot ~2 weeks. Then he regressed to his average. People got way too excited about a hot couple of weeks. He is right around career averages now for %s.

People generally don't jump 10% in shooting in one season. You just don't see that very often. I am sure someone has, but it is not likely. What Butler was doing was not sustainable.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last player I can think of to have a major jump in 3pt percentage was Channing Frye.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, he reinjured his shoulder a few times, and then he had the flu. I don't know how much of his shooting was a hot streak, or how much is to blame on not getting the chance to heal.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Jimmy takes the back seat when Rose is playing

check the numbers with Rose and without him

czman

Liked Posts:
Jimmy takes the back seat when Rose is playing

check the numbers with Rose and without him

Butler shoots a higher % with rose on the court. Not sure where you are getting your data. He shots his worst with Brooks at PG. Considering we are talking about his FG% I am not sure where you are getting your data.

A disproportionate number of Butler's points come from the FT line when Rose is not on the court, but that is not sustainable. Butler is not going to get to the line ~10 times a game and play 40 minutes.

That is one of the other things that people are missing with Butler. He was getting to the line ~9 times a game and it is down to ~6.5 in December.

Anyone who thought Butler was going to shot ~39% from the 3 ~50% from the field, play 40 minutes a game and get to the line ~9 times was probably fooling themselves.

By February we will know where Butler really is. Time will tell. Things tend to sort out themselves out and players tend to progress incrementally over time.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
oh im not taking about FG% but Jimmy seems to play better when Rose is not playing

but yes he does have a heavy reliance on free throws. he did have a good mid range game at the start but has regressed a bit in that area since

tired legs? i dont know

czman

Liked Posts:
oh im not taking about FG% but Jimmy seems to play better when Rose is not playing

but yes he does have a heavy reliance on free throws. he did have a good mid range game at the start but has regressed a bit in that area since

tired legs? i dont know

Butler gets more shots and opportunities when Rose is out, but he is less effective, so I am not sure I would call that playing better. I guess he score more points. Shooting a lower % with Rose off the floor does factor into how well someone is playing, IMO.

I am not sure I am buying the tired legs excuse 2 weeks into the season, and that is about when his %s started to drop. He is shooting marginally better than his career averages. That is normal improvement. Butler has flaws in his mechanics.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Saying we didn't think a guy should just be handed a starting spot is "hate".....?

the other day i said Bulls have been mediocre so far this season and he said i was being "negative"

you have to be unreasonably optimistic about the team and its players

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
the other day i said Bulls have been mediocre so far this season and he said i was being "negative"

you have to be unreasonably optimistic about the team and its players
CHAMPIONSHIP OR DIE :kermit:

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Butler gets more shots and opportunities when Rose is out, but he is less effective, so I am not sure I would call that playing better. I guess he score more points. Shooting a lower % with Rose off the floor does factor into how well someone is playing, IMO.

I am not sure I am buying the tired legs excuse 2 weeks into the season, and that is about when his %s started to drop. He is shooting marginally better than his career averages. That is normal improvement. Butler has flaws in his mechanics.

he plays allot more aggressive without Rose is what im saying

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
JImmy's quite the streaky shooter...no one should expect him to be Klay Thompson or something. The important thing is, he's playing much better than last year.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
JImmy's quite the streaky shooter...no one should expect him to be Klay Thompson or something. The important thing is, he's playing much better than last year.

This is what I'm thinking, people may not be happy with all his play but he's shown each year that he's still getting better and I expect him to continue to improve. More importantly if you offered him up as trade bait I bet you would have a long line of suitors. He's been working exceptionally hard to get better.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Jimmy with 35 points 5 rebounds 7 assist 4 steals

he clearly plays better with no Derrick...hes allot more aggressive