International slots and what they may be worth as trade assets.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This came up in the Hammel thread I believe and perhaps the Shark rumor thread. For those who are unaware, the new CBA set up a system similar to the draft slot allotment for international FAs. These slots are tradeable assets if you remember as the cubs traded for/away some last year. What the cubs also did was went ape-shit on spending last season to the point where they can't sign any single international FA over $250k. Why this matters is because as the 4th worst team last year the cubs have a shit load of international slot money. The 4th slot is worth $2,288,700. They also have the 34nd slot worth $458,000, the 64th worth $309,300, and the 94th worth $206,700. As a reference, the 30th ranked IFA last year got $300k. So, the cubs are unlikely to sign much of anything there this year in terms of name recognition. As another reference, they signed Jen-Ho Tseng who was #23 for $1.625 mil(he's a pitcher so he got significantly more). MLB.com had Tseng as a 45 ranking(50 is average) and 19th in the cubs top 20. So, anything below the #30 prospect is hoping for someone to develop skills rather than someone who has them.

The way trading these slots works is you can't trade part of the money. You trade the slot and all the money associated with it. Given they are so limited in terms of max they can offer, the first 2 slots almost assuredly will be traded because there's very little chance they spend the ~$500k they have with the last two slots. Maybe they go a scatter shot approach and sign a lot of lessor guys but i'm honestly not even sure what the full pool of IFA players would be. In other words, there may only be 50 guys worth even giving IFA money to and the top 30 may all be $300k or more.

Placing value on those slots is difficult. The easiest case is the cubs/astros trade for Ronald Torreyes for the Astros #2/3 slots. The 2 and 3 slots from the astros last year were worth $468,400 and $316,300. So, the #4 overall slot is worth roughly 3.5x as much value. Torreyes isn't a huge prospect and never was. Bleacher nation had him at 35 going into 2013 though keep in mind 35 in the cubs system might be 30ish in some other systems though. What's 3.5x that worth? Hard to say. To a team like the yankees likely something mildly decent seeing as they plan to spend heavy there this year according to reports. I'd argue the cubs first two slots are worth something in the range of a #15 prospect in an average system and possibly more. Last year the ~$2.8 mil for the cubs first two slots was almost enough to sign Eloy Jimenez for $2.8 mil who was rated the cubs #12 prospects coming into this year according to mlb.com and was the #1 overall IFA.

With the #5 team(Twins) only having $3,686,600 total there's not a ton of top end money to be traded. In other words, a team hunting for a lot of money may pay a premium since the high end slots are scarce. Those teams with the scarce slots would be Astros, Cubs, W. Sox, Miami and Twins. Last season, Houston traded all but their #1 slot. The twins kept all their slots last season. Miami traded their 4th slot. Sox kept all their slots.

Why all of this matters is the start of the IFA signing period is july 2 which means in about 10 days teams will start trying to sign these guys and you have to have the slots to sign them. As such, trade talks will heat up with regard to them. Last year the ones that were traded were more often throw in pieces. For example, the cubs got 2 from the O's as an additional part of the Feldman trade. One went to the dodgers with Nolasco in that trade and so on. The astros/cub trade i mentioned was the only player for slot trade. So, perhaps any trade the cubs make will come with another player.

The Yankees have been typically labeled as big spenders coming into this year. If they want to spend to the same level the cubs did last year, you're likely talking the cubs top two slots plus the Astro's 2, 3 and 4 slots and maybe another $300-800k in slots. It's been suggested by some as a sweetener in a Hammel trade. However, I honestly don't think they have enough to get him without the slots. I think a better case is for something like Valbuena and the slots for <x>. Roberts is playing second for them and is hitting .239/.323/.337 and at the very least Valbuena would be a better bench piece than Kelly Johnson to have as a backup at 2B/3B. What exactly that nets you I'm not sure but it should be worth a top 10 prospect in their system.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What some baseball people have mentioned is for the cubs to get more in return for a hammel or Schierholtz they will add these slot bonuses in with the deals.. so their all expecting deals to be made in the next 2 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What some baseball people have mentioned is for the cubs to get more in return for a hammel or Schierholtz they will add these slot bonuses in with the deals.. so their all expecting deals to be made in the next 2 weeks

I can see that happening. The thing is that the top end ones may have a limited market both was. I'm not sure how many teams will need the $2.1 mil #1 slot. The yankees if they plan to go hard obviously would. To trade those you essentially need a team that plans to do what the cubs did. But the counter to that is also that if you are a team that plans to do that the amount of teams that are willing to trade $2.1 mil in slots away is limited. Most teams use their slot money on one or so big guy and then whatever is left they consider dealing.

If I thought the Yankees had the ammo to get Hammel that would make a lot of sense but I'm really not seeing them having enough to make the best offer on him. Sanchez and Mason Williams were their only two premium prospects coming into the year and the rest were Grimm level. Trading Hammel for a Grimm level player would be a tough tough sell for me. That's why I think someone like Valbuena makes sense. Williams is playing like shit. And Sanchez while having an ok year is a C who may not have the defense to stick there. Plus, I'm honestly not sure the Yankees would want to trade Sanchez for Hammel. Just feels like a bad fit.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I can see that happening. The thing is that the top end ones may have a limited market both was. I'm not sure how many teams will need the $2.1 mil #1 slot. The yankees if they plan to go hard obviously would. To trade those you essentially need a team that plans to do what the cubs did. But the counter to that is also that if you are a team that plans to do that the amount of teams that are willing to trade $2.1 mil in slots away is limited. Most teams use their slot money on one or so big guy and then whatever is left they consider dealing.

If I thought the Yankees had the ammo to get Hammel that would make a lot of sense but I'm really not seeing them having enough to make the best offer on him. Sanchez and Mason Williams were their only two premium prospects coming into the year and the rest were Grimm level. Trading Hammel for a Grimm level player would be a tough tough sell for me. That's why I think someone like Valbuena makes sense. Williams is playing like shit. And Sanchez while having an ok year is a C who may not have the defense to stick there. Plus, I'm honestly not sure the Yankees would want to trade Sanchez for Hammel. Just feels like a bad fit.

It would make sense due to them wanting to spend big on the international pool this year and the Cubs have probable most international pool cash to sell off.

The question is what is considered fair trade value?

Ian Clarkin is their top rated arm in A full season. Think I've heard that the Cubs were looking at him a few months back. I would keep that name in mind.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It would make sense due to them wanting to spend big on the international pool this year and the Cubs have probable most international pool cash to sell off.

The question is what is considered fair trade value?

Ian Clarkin is their top rated arm in A full season. Think I've heard that the Cubs were looking at him a few months back. I would keep that name in mind.

Luis Severino is a name I kinda like. Before the season mlb.com had him ranked 9th in their organization behind only clarkin with these ratings
Scouting Grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

He's just 20 this year and in A+ right now but put up these numbers over his career
18 - 2012(R) 64.1 IP 6.30 k/9 2.38 bb/9 1.68 ERA 3.08 FIP
19 - 2013(R) 26.1 IP 10.94 k/9 2.05 bb/9 1.37 ERA 1.94 FIP
19 - 2013(A) 17.2 IP 10.70 k/9 2.04 bb/9 4.08 ERA 2.52 FIP
20 - 2014(A) 67.2 IP 9.31 k/9 2.00 bb/9 2.79 ERA 2.77 FIP
20 - 2014(A+) 4.2 IP 15.43 k/9 1.93 bb/9 5.79 ERA 0.50 FIP

If they got that for Valbuena and the slots I think i'd be pretty happy.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think their gonna use the top slots with hammel to try and get a starter closer to MLB ready

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Luis Severino is a name I kinda like. Before the season mlb.com had him ranked 9th in their organization behind only clarkin with these ratings
Scouting Grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 50

He's just 20 this year and in A+ right now but put up these numbers over his career
18 - 2012(R) 64.1 IP 6.30 k/9 2.38 bb/9 1.68 ERA 3.08 FIP
19 - 2013(R) 26.1 IP 10.94 k/9 2.05 bb/9 1.37 ERA 1.94 FIP
19 - 2013(A) 17.2 IP 10.70 k/9 2.04 bb/9 4.08 ERA 2.52 FIP
20 - 2014(A) 67.2 IP 9.31 k/9 2.00 bb/9 2.79 ERA 2.77 FIP
20 - 2014(A+) 4.2 IP 15.43 k/9 1.93 bb/9 5.79 ERA 0.50 FIP

If they got that for Valbuena and the slots I think i'd be pretty happy.

I'm not sols that they will sell Valbuena's 4th year of arb. Who knows though he is having his best year right now.

Reason is he has never been top end talent. We could not expect any more than a teams #25 ranked prospect in return.

The fact he is still cheap it becomes a 1 year insurance policy back up for Baez at 2B and Bryant at 3B. They are bound to struggle.

2 guys I expect off the team are Olt and Barney. He do not have a role with Bryant and Baez on the team.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'm not sols that they will sell Valbuena's 4th year of arb. Who knows though he is having his best year right now.

Reason is he has never been top end talent. We could not expect any more than a teams #25 ranked prospect in return.

The fact he is still cheap it becomes a 1 year insurance policy back up for Baez at 2B and Bryant at 3B. They are bound to struggle.

2 guys I expect off the team are Olt and Barney. He do not have a role with Bryant and Baez on the team.

They are likely to hold onto Olt for at least another year. He comes cheap, plays respectable defense, and could spell a player at 3rd, or come off the bench if they need a power hitter,

Barney on the other hand........................:tongue:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs want Olt to hit. They are going to trade him at some point. Hopefully, a team will take him as a flier piece. I never cared for Olt. Its why I was against Garza being traded for him the year before he got traded.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are likely to hold onto Olt for at least another year. He comes cheap, plays respectable defense, and could spell a player at 3rd, or come off the bench if they need a power hitter,

Barney on the other hand........................:tongue:

Problem is he hits from the RH side and the line up is going to RH heavy going into next year.

Alcantata SH

Bryant RH
Baez RH
Castro RH
Castillo RH

Rizzo LH

They need 2 more LH bats. This is a big reason why they picked Schwarber #1. They knew long term the need for LH power was greater than another RH bat.

I do not believe Olt has any value to be honest. I'm putting him into the same ball that Brett Jackson is in. Good talent but too much swing and miss in his game. AAAA player.

Speaking of that: Jackson would have value if he could turn things around in Iowa due to a need next year in RF and for LH power.

But: I believe that the solution will end up Sweeney and Ruggiano in RF next year. Alcantara in CF and Lake and Kalish in LF. Long term corner OF will be viewed as Soler and Schwarber. Until then is will be platooned.

Valbuena, well if the Yanks would take him and some slot cash for a quality arm I would be amazed.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Problem is he hits from the RH side and the line up is going to RH heavy going into next year.

Alcantata SH

Bryant RH
Baez RH
Castro RH
Castillo RH

Rizzo LH

They need 2 more LH bats. This is a big reason why they picked Schwarber #1. They knew long term the need for LH power was greater than another RH bat.

I do not believe Olt has any value to be honest. I'm putting him into the same ball that Brett Jackson is in. Good talent but too much swing and miss in his game. AAAA player.

Speaking of that: Jackson would have value if he could turn things around in Iowa due to a need next year in RF and for LH power.

But: I believe that the solution will end up Sweeney and Ruggiano in RF next year. Alcantara in CF and Lake and Kalish in LF. Long term corner OF will be viewed as Soler and Schwarber. Until then is will be platooned.

Valbuena, well if the Yanks would take him and some slot cash for a quality arm I would be amazed.

I would be surprised if they let Olt go at this point. Not saying I am a fan of his, but if you put Olt (RH power hitter), Valbuena (LH), and Bonafacio (Switch hitter) on the bench, it at least allows the flexibility to use any of them as starters at any time and all could play multiple positions. And if you look at all 3, you would probably have 6 million tied up in all of them combined.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would be surprised if they let Olt go at this point. Not saying I am a fan of his, but if you put Olt (RH power hitter), Valbuena (LH), and Bonafacio (Switch hitter) on the bench, it at least allows the flexibility to use any of them as starters at any time and all could play multiple positions. And if you look at all 3, you would probably have 6 million tied up in all of them combined.

You are looking at 2 platoons in RF/LF.

So this is what I see:

CF: Alcantara
SS: Castro
1B Rizzo
3B: Bryant
2B: Baez
RF: Sweeney/Ruggiano
LF: Cog(or Kalish)/Lake
C: Castillo

Bench:
1 back up catcher
1 UI
1 corner IF

There are 2 spots open that they could fill but I'm not sure here. They could promote Watkins and add Valaika to the 40 man and gain that flexability. Not to mention they have both been 2 of the better hitters on that team.

Watkins: .284/.367/.394. Has covered SS/2B/1B/CF/LF. this year. Not sure on 3B but I wouldn't doubt it.
Valaika .296/.360/.435 Covered all but catcher and pitcher.

Now those are what you are looking for in bench players. Can cover many spots to get playing time in.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There is an outside chance they move Baez and Bryant to the OF but I'm under the opinion that they will not.

Olt had the opportunity to run with it this year and he blew it.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

So this is what I see:

1B Rizzo

Bench:
1 back up catcher
1 UI
1 corner IF

There are 2 spots open that they could fill but I'm not sure here. They could promote Watkins and add Valaika to the 40 man and gain that flexability. Not to mention they have both been 2 of the better hitters on that team.

Watkins: .284/.367/.394. Has covered SS/2B/1B/CF/LF. this year. Not sure on 3B but I wouldn't doubt it.

Now those are what you are looking for in bench players. Can cover many spots to get playing time in.

I will bet my life that their will be a lot better players in the Cubs line-up than that. If they trot that line-up out there, the Union will be all over the Cubs for not spending. Personally, I would like to see the Cubs go after Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, and Shields. That would be 2 switch hitters and under the age of 30, and a formidable pitcher who wouldn't demand a 6 year contract.

Cabrera and Sandoval block no one because Bryant could play the outfield as could Alcantara, and Baez could man 2nd base. Now tell me that wouldn't be a line-up to get excited about?

Alcantara CF
Cabrera LF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant RF
Castro SS
Sandoval 3B
Baez 2B
Castillo C

Even if Baez and Bryant don't make it up together, throw in a Valbuena or Lake-Sweeney-Cog as a temporary replacement, and you would still have a pretty lethal team poised for a run at the playoffs. I am guessing that the 3 free agents would command about 16 million per man on average so you could add 48 million to the 31 million that is already in place for 2015, and you are still less than an 80 million dollar payroll.

With what they could net for Shark and Hammel to throw into the system, I would roll that in a New York minute. Even if they retain Shark (which I doubt) and add Shields, they would be even more lethal for less than a 90 million dollar payroll.

This also takes any pressures off of Bryant and Baez to excel quickly as they would be able to ease their way because of the veteran leadership around them. Just my thoughts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I will bet my life that their will be a lot better players in the Cubs line-up than that. If they trot that line-up out there, the Union will be all over the Cubs for not spending. Personally, I would like to see the Cubs go after Sandoval, Melky Cabrera, and Shields. That would be 2 switch hitters and under the age of 30, and a formidable pitcher who wouldn't demand a 6 year contract.

Cabrera and Sandoval block no one because Bryant could play the outfield as could Alcantara, and Baez could man 2nd base. Now tell me that wouldn't be a line-up to get excited about?

Alcantara CF
Cabrera LF
Rizzo 1B
Bryant RF
Castro SS
Sandoval 3B
Baez 2B
Castillo C

Even if Baez and Bryant don't make it up together, throw in a Valbuena or Lake-Sweeney-Cog as a temporary replacement, and you would still have a pretty lethal team poised for a run at the playoffs. I am guessing that the 3 free agents would command about 16 million per man on average so you could add 48 million to the 31 million that is already in place for 2015, and you are still less than an 80 million dollar payroll.

With what they could net for Shark and Hammel to throw into the system, I would roll that in a New York minute. Even if they retain Shark (which I doubt) and add Shields, they would be even more lethal for less than a 90 million dollar payroll.

This also takes any pressures off of Bryant and Baez to excel quickly as they would be able to ease their way because of the veteran leadership around them. Just my thoughts.

1 guy I would like the Cubs to make a trade for is Dominic Brown. Theo tried to trade Sori for him 2012 offseason. It went under the Radar but looking at his 2013 production it would have been viewed as genius.

The Phillies are expected to be open for business between now and the deadline, but they might not like the offers that come in. “Look at their trade chips,” said an NL executive. “Even if they blow it up, dangle [Cole] Hamels and dangle all these other guys, each one of those guys has some reason it will be hard for them to get back what they want.“
Meanwhile, one exec flatly said a Chase Utley trade is “not happening.” The sticker price might not be met on Phillies like Cliff Lee, Jonathan Papelbon, and Jimmy Rollins, but teams see Domonic Brown as someone whom the Phillies would like to swap for a different young change-of-scenery candidate.

Now I do not see a true fit here in a deal. Maybe Lake for Brown even swap. Phills are LH heavy and the Cubs will be RH heavy. Both players have upside.

Brown's production: 280 AB: .222/.271/.331 Clearly under producing.

2014 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible, 1 yr/$550k (14)
Service Time (01/2014): 2.078, Arb Eligible: 2015, Free Agent: 2018 [*], Agents: Scott Boras [*]

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On Sandovol:

http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/25/giants-pablo-sandoval-seeking-100-million/

The Panda could be in for a big payday.

Third baseman Pablo Sandoval is aiming high in contract talks with the Giants, as he’s seeking at least $100 million on a five-year deal, sources told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

The 27-year-old native of Venezuela is a two-time All-Star and was 2012 World Series MVP, but his batting average and OPS have declined each of the last two seasons. He is only hitting .165 with two homers and six RBIs in 21 games heading into Friday’s series opener against the Indians.

SI WIRE: Report: Yasiel Puig biopic being developed

Talks between the two sides broke down earlier this month, when Giants general manager Brian Sabean said “we’ve given our best shot” regarding negotiations.

Now, Heyman writes, “Sabean, the architect of two World Series winners and incredible organizational and player continuity, went so far as to declare in an interview with CSN Bay Area that in this case Sandoval and his agent were ‘drawing a line in the sand’ that the team shouldn’t and wouldn’t meet.
“Gustavo Vazquez, the longtime agent for Sandoval, expressed surprise at hearing such a characterization. While sitting at a restaurant [in Fort Lauderdale] on the famed coast Route AIA which runs along the beach, Sandoval responded to Sabean’s suggestion with humor. Referring to the ‘line in the sand’ remark, Vazquez, peering across the street to the ocean, said with a smile, ‘Maybe he knows I’m in Florida.’”
The club’s first offer to Sandoval this spring was for three years, $40 million, and they’ve since upped it to four years with an option, Heyman reports.

Sandoval, who hit .278 with 14 homers and 79 RBIs in 141 games last season, would be one of the top free-agent position players this coming off-season, according to Heyman.

Looking at track record and what has been said. F/A is viewed as the last source of acquiring talent for Theo. Kung Fu Panda will get 100 mil and sense they have depth going on I seriously doubt?.? no I pretty much know that the Cubs will not get involved with that scene.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Give you a hint:

Theo makes under the radar finds. He doesn't get involved with flashy name players or the hottest names on the market. He would rather buy at low value and fix a players problems. That is due to scouting and seeing if that player is fixable or not fixable.

Take Ot: Gamble with his vision. He is still missing at a high rate. It was an educated gamble as a toss in that never would have happened 2 years ago.

Brown would be another low buy option. He did product those numbers in 2013. It is just getting him back to that production level. Scouting will tell if 2013 was a fluke or is he just having an off year.

Lake IMO has untapped potential. The biggest thing holding him back is Rick. Rick is platooning him and lets him play this speed game by bunting and hitting #2. VS teaching him how to master the strike zone and take the ball the other way if they pitch outside.

Lake has shown that he can heit a ball out of any ball park. He just needs to work on his 5% walk rate. Going up looking to bunt is just dumb.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

So this is what I see:

1B Rizzo

Bench:
1 back up catcher
1 UI
1 corner IF

one thing you didn't consider is if they dont plan on bringing baez and bryant up til may 2015 to save a year then their gonna need guys like Valbuena, olt, Barney to start the season with.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
one thing you didn't consider is if they dont plan on bringing baez and bryant up til may 2015 to save a year then their gonna need guys like Valbuena, olt, Barney to start the season with.

We will see.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
We will see.

So what you are telling me is that the Cubs because they are supposedly going to stay cheap are not going to spend any money like they would have done for Tanaka? Not spend any of the Soriano money that is going to be off the books? And not going to spend any of the money that they would have paid Hammel, Shark, Villanueva, Schierholtz, Barney, and Veras?

They are going to roll with Baez, Bryant, Kalish, Cog, Lake and others and try to win with that?

They will boo this whole FO and ownership right out of Chicago. I mean, if we haven't seen the bottom yet, then you better switch teams because it ain't going to ever happen.

They have said all along that when they need it, the money will be there. I am pretty sure they need it now, and I will not root for a team who blatently lies about things like that. You aren't going to piss down my back and say it's raining.

In fact, I will put in writing right now that if the Cubs go with the line-up that you suggested, or anywhere in the general vicinity of a 35 million dollar payroll, I WILL NO LONGER BE A CUBS FAN..............PERIOD! :tongue: