Will Football lose out too soccer in future?

Whiskey85

With the state of concussions and how youth football is falling off it could be apossibility id love to hear some thoughts on this.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
It would take an American superstar player to get the country excited about the sport. We're a long way from that at the moment. Maybe in the next 25-50 years.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It would take an American superstar player to get the country excited about the sport. We're a long way from that at the moment. Maybe in the next 25-50 years.

I'm not so sure. We have a lot of talented young players, and with as popular as the game is getting with the younger guys, it wouldn't surprise me if some really top players develop soon. I hope so anyway. Soccer is a global party and there's no reason we shouldn't be heavily involved.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really hard to imagine that happening but apparently the same thing was said about football overtaking baseball at one time. We're at least 50 years away from that.... and just a guess, I think helmet technology will keep football on top.

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
I think it will start to even out in 15-20 years. I know plenty of people that don't/won't allow their kids to play youth/HS football; I don't ever remember that when I was a kid. It was a given that, if you were a boy, you played football.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Right now the money is in American football. A lot will have to change to make soccer bring in that kind of revenue in America. But if somehow it flips, then yes,soccer will over take it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I watch football because I like it, not because it's popular.

Really don't care either way. Gridiron football is gaining worldwide popularity, and soccer has been gaining US popularity. Seems fine to me. As to who over-takes what, I don't care. Hell, most Americans don't care, as football isn't the most popular American sport in the world. Basketball and Baseball are more popular than Football, worldwide.

Soccer is something like 3.5 billion fans worldwide. Cricket is close to 3 billion, and basketball is not far behind with close to 3 billion as well. I think Football is around 500 million. So yeah, sure. It's entirely possible to see soccer over-take football in the US at some point. Maybe in 20 years, maybe in 100, who knows.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
this.wont.happen.

and I'm a huge soccer fan.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are several reasons why soccer will not overtake American football in the US.

Money - The advertising money is tied up into the NFL, until it starts to equalize you will never see mainstream soccer here

then there are a bunch of other reasons.....

just a couple here

quality coaching, soccer has some pockets of quality coaching but for the most part many of the best soccer coaches come from overseas

either the sport needs to change to American mentalities or Americans need to understand an accept the differences
ie how the time works the acceptance of human error and subjectivity....our sports are turning into reply and review machines. Soccer is not built for that right now.

KINGOFOOTBALL

Liked Posts:
No.

But NFL has ALOT to learn from Soccer. Its presentation is much friendlier to viewers.