7/1: USA vs. Belgium

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I will take USA 1-0 here.

There is a chance we get Altidore back and I haven't been impressed with Belgium thus far despite everyone continue to say how dangerous they are. One of their starters is suspended for the match b/c of a Red Card.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
so how does overtime work in the knockout round

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2-1 USA after extra time

Proud of the team in the group stage. Hopefully the boys can make it through one more round.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think USA win this game. Late goals against weaker teams is what Belgium have done so far. They have not been overly impressive. No reason to think they can't do it.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Belgium destroyed the US in a friendly last year, 4-2 in Cleveland. A late penalty made the score more respectable. Jozy may be back, albeit limited

Bear06

Liked Posts:
The U.S. missed two of their best players for that friendly game against Belgium last year (Bradley and F. Johnson) so I don't think people should read too much on that game. I agree with what Roberto Martinez said on ESPN World Cup tonight that the U.S. playing Germany was really good preparation for them when they face Belgium on Tuesday, and while the red devils do have a lot of high quality individuals they haven't really played as a team and have left it until the last 10 or so minutes of the games to score in a weak group.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
It's absolutely mandatory that the U.S. not give up any stupid goals in the first 10 minutes like they've done a few times in the last few World Cups. If they can avoid that, I think they've got a real legit shot here.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
It's absolutely mandatory that the U.S. not give up any stupid goals in the first 10 minutes like they've done a few times in the last few World Cups. If they can avoid that, I think they've got a real legit shot here.

A goal 30 seconds in like Dempsey's again Ghana would be nice.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Beckerman out of the lineup for US. Kompany in for Belgium.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
next time!

might be a Futbol fan now, Belgium was the better Team but the US had tons of chances to steal a win, cant wait for next WC to bad it wont be in
Brazil one of my fav places to visit.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm glad that goal the US should've made around the 90 minute mark wasn't going to count anyway because that would've been heartbreaking.

I'm also glad it ended in extra time. Losing in penalty kicks, basically losing a tie, would've also been worse imo

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I'm glad that goal the US should've made around the 90 minute mark wasn't going to count anyway because that would've been heartbreaking.

I'm also glad it ended in extra time. Losing in penalty kicks, basically losing a tie, would've also been worse imo

Are you talking about the opportunity that Wondolowski missed? If so, yes it would have counted. The announcers were mistaken. The side official was not signaling offsides. He was signaling goal kick after the ball was kicked high. That goal would have counted and I would have screamed so hard if it went in. What a shame.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
oooooh wow! i didnt know that...i only heard 2nd hand play by play of it on the radio. yup its a gut punch even knowing that this late lol

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
oooooh wow! i didnt know that...i only heard 2nd hand play by play of it on the radio. yup its a gut punch even knowing that this late lol

That's where you miss Altidore b/c if he was healthy, Wondo wouldn't have been in the game. And most probably, Dempsey or Altidore is standing right there to punch it in the back of the net.