A Serious Carmelo Offer - 4yrs $90M

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Melo's not a dumb guy. He knows an initial pay cut would be required if he wanted to play for the Bulls. Carmelo has made a lot of money. What he does not have is a championship. He's not coming here to get paid, and if the Bulls can't demonstrate that they're able to construct a viable roster, he won't come here at all.

Celks

Liked Posts:
Melo's not a dumb guy. He knows an initial pay cut would be required if he wanted to play for the Bulls. Carmelo has made a lot of money. What he does not have is a championship. He's not coming here to get paid, and if the Bulls can't demonstrate that they're able to construct a viable roster, he won't come here.

Couldn't agree with you more. These Star players and their families are already set for life. It's time to see if Melo wants to become a winner in the NBA or stay a money maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Melo certainly isn't broke...He just finished getting paid 20 million dollars to play basketball...

He will still get 15 million minimum...I think he will be just fine financially.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think the point they're making, PB, is that most players won't leave $5-10 million per year on the table.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
With the cost of living in New York, he really wouldn't even be taking a pay cut.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
With the cost of living in New York, he really wouldn't even be taking a pay cut.

Why do people keep fucking saying this? Cost of living has never factored into sports contracts, ever!!!!!!! If a player can get a max in New York, he will want a max in Chicago or Atlanta or Sioux Falls. These guys aren't sitting there with their fucking pocket calculators coming up with cost of living adjustments.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do people keep fucking saying this? Cost of living has never factored into sports contracts, ever!!!!!!! If a player can get a max in New York, he will want a max in Chicago or Atlanta or Sioux Falls. These guys aren't sitting there with their fucking pocket calculators coming up with cost of living adjustments.

Sure it does. New York has the highest tax rates in the country. Of course, Illinois is up there also. But cost of living stuff I don't think is a very big deal.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
What's with all this tax bullshit? Do any of you know how free agency works?

[video=youtube;5Mp8KDeSo7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mp8KDeSo7w[/video]

ginny

Liked Posts:
Melo's not a dumb guy. He knows an initial pay cut would be required if he wanted to play for the Bulls. Carmelo has made a lot of money. What he does not have is a championship. He's not coming here to get paid, and if the Bulls can't demonstrate that they're able to construct a viable roster, he won't come here at all.

^^^
This is the post of the thread...

It all comes down to what the (3 headed monster) plan on doing! I don't think they can all re-sign with Miami AND add Melo too.

What I hope happens is that Melo sees that the Bulls roster, with him added, can compete with and likely beat Miami and the big 3.
He (Melo) has to have thought that playing in LBJ's shadow would take some of the luster off of a Championship, versus winning one in Chicago where he would claim a MUCH bigger part of the glory.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
So far all the media is reporting the Bulls offer was somewhere between $65-80M dollars. That's a text book dog and pony show. No way in hell was Melo ever coming here for $10M per year less than what other teams are offering. What a fucking disgrace.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So far all the media is reporting the Bulls offer was somewhere between $65-80M dollars. That's a text book dog and pony show. No way in hell was Melo ever coming here for $10M per year less than what other teams are offering. What a fucking disgrace.

@KCJHoop: Reported Bulls, Melo didn't talk $ much if at all Tuesday. Just general air of "we'll make financials work" if verbal commitment.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
@KCJHoop: Reported Bulls, Melo didn't talk $ much if at all Tuesday. Just general air of "we'll make financials work" if verbal commitment.
Yeah, I'm aware of what KC Johnson said. Meanwhile multiple others are reporting different. The better point is how do you talk to a guy for 9 hours and NOT get an exact idea of the financial details?

Unless you aren't serious in the first place and just putting on a show.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the Bulls put on an all day show for the fans. Same fans who are gonna be at games despite the outcome of not signing Melo, even if JimJohnson claims the Bulls won't have fans.... You can't be this dumb

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Yeah, the Bulls put on an all day show for the fans. Same fans who are gonna be at games despite the outcome of not signing Melo, even if JimJohnson claims the Bulls won't have fans.... You can't be this dumb
Yeah, yeah. I'm dumb youre dumb... I hope we don't have to keep doing that.

Anyway, the NBA is an entertainment business and keeping your customers interested an faithful that you are trying to win is very important to keeping the Reinsdorfs pockets lined. They know fans are getting restless so dog and pony shows with lots of excuses are valuable tools of the game.

I want proof (or at least impartial witnesses) not just these vague promises that they did their best.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Whatever you say, Skip.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can't wait to read your brilliant football analysis when the Bears start losing games

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Can't wait to read your brilliant football analysis when the Bears start losing games
They're going 19-0 so you have nothing to worry about. :smug:

czman

Liked Posts:
Based on the information that has been put out so far, the maximum the Knicks can give Melo is 5yr $130M and the most a new team can resign him for is 4yrs $96M. Average out those numbers, and it means the Knicks can offer him $26M per year and all other teams with the salary cap room like Dallas or the Lakers can give him $24M per year.

I fully expect Melo to be a little flexible in what he's willing to accept but anyone thinking he is signing with the Bulls for $18M per year (4yr $72M) or even a $20M per (4yr $80M) deal is out of their mind. I don't see any player in any sport settling for $25-50M less than they are worth. My belief is that if the Bulls offer $22.5M a year (4yr $90M), they will be competitive enough that Melo will accept taking a 10% discount on his yearly salary to come to Chicago.

The NBA allows teams to stagger payments so the Bulls would need to clear up about $20M for the first year, then $22, $23, and $25 for the following years. The salaries of Anthony Randolph, Carlos Boozer, Mike James, Lou Amundson, and Ronnie Brewer equals about $22.7M, plus MDJ is another $3.3M to add to the pot.

How many of you would be willing to make that large of a commitment to get a superstar player, if not what is the most you would offer, and the best question of all is, do you believe GarPax and the Bulls are really serious about making a move this big?

Can't happen. The Knicks would be taking to much money back and that would put them over the apron, thus they could not do the deal.

czman

Liked Posts:
Yes. 4.5% above maximum is the rule. But if he signs for under the maximum, then he can get the maximum in year 2, plus 4.5%.

No they can't. That is the Gilbert Arenas provision you are thinking of and it does not apply. I wish you would never state anything about the CBA, you are wrong all the time and just give people the impression that the Bulls can do things that they cannot.