In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Based on the information that has been put out so far, the maximum the Knicks can give Melo is 5yr $130M and the most a new team can resign him for is 4yrs $96M. Average out those numbers, and it means the Knicks can offer him $26M per year and all other teams with the salary cap room like Dallas or the Lakers can give him $24M per year.

I fully expect Melo to be a little flexible in what he's willing to accept but anyone thinking he is signing with the Bulls for $18M per year (4yr $72M) or even a $20M per (4yr $80M) deal is out of their mind. I don't see any player in any sport settling for $25-50M less than they are worth. My belief is that if the Bulls offer $22.5M a year (4yr $90M), they will be competitive enough that Melo will accept taking a 10% discount on his yearly salary to come to Chicago.

The NBA allows teams to stagger payments so the Bulls would need to clear up about $20M for the first year, then $22, $23, and $25 for the following years. The salaries of Anthony Randolph, Carlos Boozer, Mike James, Lou Amundson, and Ronnie Brewer equals about $22.7M, plus MDJ is another $3.3M to add to the pot.

How many of you would be willing to make that large of a commitment to get a superstar player, if not what is the most you would offer, and the best question of all is, do you believe GarPax and the Bulls are really serious about making a move this big?

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
Personally, I don't think the guy is worth that much. Not sure I even want him on the team. 15 million is tops.

If the Bulls trade MDJ, that will only add to the bad feelings most players have toward Bulls management. The guy signed here at a big discount to play with Rose, a good team, a chance to go far in playoffs, and you turn around and dump him. That sends a big red flag up to all other free agents, imo.

Bull are better off signing Gasol, resigning DJ Augustine, and maybe bringing the kid over from Europe.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The Bulls can backload deals still.

ThaGator

Liked Posts:
Personally, I don't think the guy is worth that much. Not sure I even want him on the team. 15 million is tops.

If the Bulls trade MDJ, that will only add to the bad feelings most players have toward Bulls management. The guy signed here at a big discount to play with Rose, a good team, a chance to go far in playoffs, and you turn around and dump him. That sends a big red flag up to all other free agents, imo.

Bull are better off signing Gasol, resigning DJ Augustine, and maybe bringing the kid over from Europe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403956223.428714.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

Yeah, the #2 scorer in the NBA is worth less than Boozer in your world. Its silly how many people think only Lebron/Durant are worthy of playing for the worst scoring team in the league. Yep, the Bulls are better off without one of the best scorers in the history of the game, lets just get another washed up has been and see if we can scrap our way to a title, right??? :puke:

The Bulls can backload deals still.
What does backloading the deal have to do with the total amount? Are you suggesting they pay him $16M the first year and then $24-25M the last three years? I think the nba has rules about what percentage you can increase yearly salary, but why would that be a better option anyway?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yes. 4.5% above maximum is the rule. But if he signs for under the maximum, then he can get the maximum in year 2, plus 4.5%.

So it still requires a discount, which is the only way the Bulls will land him. But he might prefer to take the discount, as he has hinted at before, just so a team has better surrounding players, including bench players.

Who knows, he might not want 5 years, or 4 years. He might only sign for 3.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

1st - that plan sucks.
2nd - Thank god you are not the GM of a professional Chicago sports team. You may however, qualify as a candidate to be the GM of the Cubs though.
3rd - Why in the world would you amnesty Boozer and sign an older Pau Gasol to a multi year deal? That's a backwards move.
4th - How the hell is trading an old role player like Mike Dunleavy Jnr going to make Melo and future FA's not want to come here? Role players like Dunleavy get traded all the time.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
So Randolph, Boozer, Amoundson, James, and Brewer are to much for Melo? 4 of those guys never even get playing time....

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
It's in some fertile imagination that players have a negative opinion of Bulls management. They don't think any team management is better or worse to work for than any other. Every player is family until they want too much or think they should have a say in the way the team is run. Players have left the Spurs and even Michael Jordan got snookered by Abe Polin and signed with the Wizards. No superstar cares what mid level player gets traded to make room for his larger salary.

It's like they played up Miami getting Napier because Lebron Tweeted he was great. Do you think some rookie point guard is going to have an ounce of sway over what Lebron chooses to do? If you do you should be on ESPN taking the place of one of those morons.

I'm not afraid of signing Gasol for a year maybe with an option. Hell the Knicks think he'll sign there for less than $4 million, now that's nuts. In fact Phil asked Melo to take less, he must think playing for the Knicks is such an honor everybody is going to cut their pay just to be there.

But Gasol at $6 million still leaves money to find a 2 guard, keep Dunleavy, bring back Hinrich, and have a deep enough team that nobody has to play too many minutes to be ready for the playoffs.

Svic

Liked Posts:
It's in some fertile imagination that players have a negative opinion of Bulls management. They don't think any team management is better or worse to work for than any other. Every player is family until they want too much or think they should have a say in the way the team is run. Players have left the Spurs and even Michael Jordan got snookered by Abe Polin and signed with the Wizards. No superstar cares what mid level player gets traded to make room for his larger salary.

It's like they played up Miami getting Napier because Lebron Tweeted he was great. Do you think some rookie point guard is going to have an ounce of sway over what Lebron chooses to do? If you do you should be on ESPN taking the place of one of those morons.

I'm not afraid of signing Gasol for a year maybe with an option. Hell the Knicks think he'll sign there for less than $4 million, now that's nuts. In fact Phil asked Melo to take less, he must think playing for the Knicks is such an honor everybody is going to cut their pay just to be there.

But Gasol at $6 million still leaves money to find a 2 guard, keep Dunleavy, bring back Hinrich, and have a deep enough team that nobody has to play too many minutes to be ready for the playoffs.

you must really enjoying getting knocked in the first round of play offs by the Wizards...who is next year? Hornets? Because that the type of seasons you will continue to have with that dumbass plan

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
So Randolph, Boozer, Amoundson, James, and Brewer are to much for Melo? 4 of those guys never even get playing time....

Whoever thinks it is is crazy. To clear up space you give up anyone but Rose or Noah. I would take my chances with Rose-Melo-Noah and fill in the blanks. I like my chances. With that in mind I see no way we cant get close to max. I also agree with Xplosive, no way Melo is worth less than what we gave Booze. That is a laugh.

czman

Liked Posts:
The Bulls were never going to use cap space to get Anthony. This is a sign and trade and Boozer + Dunleavy or the ~ 4 million in garbage is enough to get the deal done. I never thought Melo was going to take less than 18 million. The only issue the Bulls are going to have is making sure everyone stays low enough to make a sign and trade happen, if Melo wants to come here.

I don't for on minute think Melo is going to take 14 million in FA. He may prove me wrong, but I don't see it.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
idc if he wants 30m per just give it to him

tumblr_ly0d3aamMv1r6w575o1_500.gif

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Bulls were never going to use cap space to get Anthony. This is a sign and trade and Boozer + Dunleavy or the ~ 4 million in garbage is enough to get the deal done. I never thought Melo was going to take less than 18 million. The only issue the Bulls are going to have is making sure everyone stays low enough to make a sign and trade happen, if Melo wants to come here.

I don't for on minute think Melo is going to take 14 million in FA. He may prove me wrong, but I don't see it.

What happened to the "Bulls don't have to clear cap space" shit you were spewing a week ago? Guess you were wrong, huh?

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Yes. 4.5% above maximum is the rule. But if he signs for under the maximum, then he can get the maximum in year 2, plus 4.5%.

So it still requires a discount, which is the only way the Bulls will land him. But he might prefer to take the discount, as he has hinted at before, just so a team has better surrounding players, including bench players.

Who knows, he might not want 5 years, or 4 years. He might only sign for 3.
Of course he could sign for 1 or 2 years at any amount he wants but that's not realistic. He's 30 years old and not likely to sign for 2-3yrs to become a free agent again instead of signing for a max or close to max deal now. Back loading a deal won't change how much he averages over the entire of contract anyway, so again I point out that he could average $26M per year for 5 years with the Knicks.

What are you imagining he would settle for with the Bulls?

sicko

Liked Posts:
It would be insulting to even try to offer him less than the MAX to be honest, he knows we are basically DESPERATE for another Star so he is going to use that to his full advantage and to be honest...I really don't blame him.

Sure I would love for him to take less to fill out the ROSTER with some more good players but at the same time I would let him volunteer to do so, I wouldn't ask him to do so then risk him going to Houston or another team

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
It would be insulting to even try to offer him less than the MAX to be honest, he knows we are basically DESPERATE for another Star so he is going to use that to his full advantage and to be honest...I really don't blame him.

Sure I would love for him to take less to fill out the ROSTER with some more good players but at the same time I would let him volunteer to do so, I wouldn't ask him to do so then risk him going to Houston or another team
I understand what you are saying, but the Heat players agreed to take a little less in order to win championships. Melo has never taken less so agreeing to take a slight paycut in the $22M range should be something he's willing to do.

If he did he could become a winner and show that he cares about winning over money. If the Bulls give him a FAIR offer I think he takes it. If the Bulls offer the guy $15-18M they were never serious about signing him in the first place and are just playing games with the fans.