Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe the Lakers? It helps them stay competitive and then next FA class they will be able to make a move for someone since his salary is off the books. I'm sure there's at least one team willing to take him since he has a big expiring deal.
Yeah in theory any team looking to make a splash in FA next year would be willing to take on Boozer's huge expiring deal to clear that space off the books. The only issue lies in getting NY whatever asset they want.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I'm wondering if we amnesty Boozer, which frees up $16 million, can we trade Dunleavey, Snell, Non-guarantee contracts, & a 16 million trade exception to NY to get Melo? Would that even work under the new CBA? If it can, it's something that should be looked into.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm wondering if we amnesty Boozer, which frees up $16 million, can we trade Dunleavey, Snell, Non-guarantee contracts, & a 16 million trade exception to NY to get Melo? Would that even work under the new CBA? If it can, it's something that should be looked into.
Boozer doesn't free up 16 million by amnesty him...It only clears up 13.8 for some reason.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Yeah in theory any team looking to make a splash in FA next year would be willing to take on Boozer's huge expiring deal to clear that space off the books. The only issue lies in getting NY whatever asset they want.

We need to give up whatever it takes in terms of picks and/or Mirotic.

czman

Liked Posts:
I am not sure what to make of the Bulls changes.

Everyone knows the Bulls best path to Melo is via a sign and trade.

The Knicks are saying they will not take Boozer, but is that a plow to get more from the Bulls? If the Knicks say they will take Boozer then the deal is done. By saying they won't it allows the Knicks to get pick(s) for Melo and maybe an extra asset for the pain of taking on Boozer.

The Knicks may want to keep Melo, but I don't understand that. The Knicks cannot do much this season so they are at best a playoff team with no chance at a ring. The following year the Knicks do not have will have some cap space but not a huge amount. They Will still have Calderon. They Will have Melo at a large deal (if they don't offer a large deal Melo will go to the Bulls or Rockets for the same money). maybe they can bring in Love. Does Love/Melo/Calderon/Hardaway + a bunch of crap get you a ring?

The Knicks look like a team that should do a 3-4 year rebuild. Does it make sense to sign Melo for all that money if you should be doing a 3-4 year rebuild?

If I am the Knicks I privately want a sign and trade where I get as many future picks as possible. I want the picks to 3+ years in the future too.

This is why this is so hard to judge. Do the Knicks actually think they can compete in the near term? Are the Knicks so arrogant that they think this is going to be a 1 year turn around?

I don't see how the Knicks, with their roster, can think offering Melo a max 5 year deal is a good idea. That is just more of the same.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Boozer doesn't free up 16 million by amnesty him...It only clears up 13.8 for some reason.
Really? That's interesting. My initial thought was that was the average value of his contract, but his average salary was 15M, so that can't be it. Was his 1st year's salary 13.8?

czman

Liked Posts:

You only get the cap space you have after the amnesty. The Bulls are over the cap so they lose the difference.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We need to give up whatever it takes in terms of picks and/or Mirotic.
I don't think the Bulls will have an issue moving picks and Mirotic if that's what NY wants, it's just a matter of figuring out what NY actually does want. I think given the reports we've heard thus far it seems to be the case that if Melo did indeed pick Chicago he wants Gibson on the roster, possibly Butler as well. Those are our two most valuable assets in terms of young talent and value contracts. That leaves us with Snell, Dunleavy, Boozer's expiring, non guaranteed contracts, Mirotic, and whatever picks as the assets we have available. I have no doubt that the Bulls would ship all that away for Melo, but would NY take that is the question. We won't actually know until next week probably.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Who needs a 3rd team?
2015 1st, Boozer, MDJ, Brewer, Amundson, and James to the Knicks for Melo and JR Smith.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
No, he gets 14 and 8 now playing only 28 mins. He would at least get his career average of 17 pts and 10 rebs if he was getting 32mins+ and on a team like Philly that would feature him 18-20ppg like I said.

I agree. Boozer's production decrease was more Thibs than a decrease of ability. Think Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. Boozer can still score and rebound. Not every coach is a defensive stickler like Thibs.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
You only get the cap space you have after the amnesty. The Bulls are over the cap so they lose the difference.

But with the cap expected to raise to $65 million, which we'd only be a couple hundred thousand over, wouldn't it be close to that full value of $16 million when all is said and done?

czman

Liked Posts:
But with the cap expected to raise to $65 million, which we'd only be a couple hundred thousand over, wouldn't it be close to that full value of $16 million when all is said and done?

If I remember correctly it is ~9.5 after cap holds. They can cut more cost by moving more people, but that is a lot of money to clear. Basically it would mean moving Gibson.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
If I remember correctly it is ~9.5 after cap holds. They can cut more cost by moving more people, but that is a lot of money to clear. Basically it would mean moving Gibson.

That's odd because every analyst I've seen on ESPN & NBA TV have been stating it frees up over $15 million. Regardless, I'd rather he was traded then amnestied.

Cavsfan25

Liked Posts:
Exactly as I said, no one wants the bulls trash just to help the bulls get better, everyone knew the bulls HAD to amnesty him so they had no reason whatsoever to trade for him and his 16 mil. Some people need to use rational thinking instead of thinking teams around the NBA are going to do everything in their power to help the bulls.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Bulls don't have to amnesty Boozer unless they are getting a top prospect. A team like the Cav's would be lucky to get anyone to move to that dumpster of a city so they would easily trade for a B-Level player like Boozer. Same thing goes for many small market teams, all the Bulls have to do is add some cash and draft picks and Boozer will get moved. $3Million cash + 1st round pick + Boozer = done deal.

Cavsfan25

Liked Posts:
The Bulls don't have to amnesty Boozer unless they are getting a top prospect. A team like the Cav's would be lucky to get anyone to move to that dumpster of a city so they would easily trade for a B-Level player like Boozer. Same thing goes for many small market teams, all the Bulls have to do is add some cash and draft picks and Boozer will get moved. $3Million cash + 1st round pick + Boozer = done deal.

The Bulls do HAVE to amnesty Boozer if they want to make a move to make the team better, and no Cleveland would be the farthest thing from getting hot trash AKA Carlos Boozer. No one wants boozer, he's not 1/1 millionth as valuable as you think he is, one of the worst players in basketball on one of the worst on contracts in basketball. there is literally zero chance he gets traded, zero, ziltch, zip, nada, tell you what junior, get your facts straight the next time you reply to one of my post instead of typing unrealistic bullshit, mk?