Liked Posts:
First up - Mavs wanting Deng

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Edit, everyone wants Deng, including Mavs, Clippers, Hawks, et. al

Woj is reporting Deng is a Clip for 3/$18M. Funny he turned down a 3/$30M deal 6 months ago.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Clips are out for LeBron then. Hardly surprising.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Clips are out for LeBron then. Hardly surprising.

Deng is a good pick-up for them though. He's got a cpl years left, is still a great defender, and will enjoy not playing for a garbage heap of a team. And, any offense he gives that team will be a bonus - he's there to guard the other's SFs.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Deng is a good pick-up for them though. He's got a cpl years left, is still a great defender, and will enjoy not playing for a garbage heap of a team. And, any offense he gives that team will be a bonus - he's there to guard the other's SFs.

Oh yea. I totally agree, I think it's a really good pickup. Don't think they were ever going to be in serious contention for LeBron(I know it's LeBron, but it seemed like the Clippers wanted to hang on to Jordan and they knew he'd be all but gone if LeBron signed), this just kind of brings some finality to it.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I haven't seen anything about Deng going to the Clippers. Only that they had reached out. But if he is going for 6 million a year, that's a great pickup for LA.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I haven't seen anything about Deng going to the Clippers. Only that they had reached out. But if he is going for 6 million a year, that's a great pickup for LA.

Could've been a false/leaked "leverage" thing.

Seeing Kyrie plans on accepting 5/$90M deal by Cavs. Interesting. Thought he'd bolt.

Reactions: BNB

poido123

Liked Posts:

He really isn't.

Last season with the Cavs he was ordinary and I think his defense with the Bulls was a little overrated. Not saying Lebron is an easy cover, but Lebron dominated Deng whenever he guarded him. Butler is a much better defender than Deng IMO.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He really isn't.

Last season with the Cavs he was ordinary and I think his defense with the Bulls was a little overrated. Not saying Lebron is an easy cover, but Lebron dominated Deng whenever he guarded him. Butler is a much better defender than Deng IMO.

Deng can handle LBJ better than Butler can. He's about 2 inches taller than Jimmy, and has more basketball knowledge under his belt, which helps. But then, it's kind of like saying "my dog can stop a train quicker than your dog."

Regardless, I thought his defense was actually underrated in Chicago, given that he was often covering the other team's best player AND asked to do most of the scoring if Rose was off/out.

poido123

Liked Posts:
Deng can handle LBJ better than Butler can. He's about 2 inches taller than Jimmy, and has more basketball knowledge under his belt, which helps. But then, it's kind of like saying "my dog can stop a train quicker than your dog."

Regardless, I thought his defense was actually underrated in Chicago, given that he was often covering the other team's best player AND asked to do most of the scoring if Rose was off/out.

Just no.

Deng got abused by Lebron whenever he guarded him. Butler was way more effective than Deng and forced Lebron to pass the ball off a lot of the time. Lebron couldn't get past Jimmy as Jimmy gave Lebron space so he could read which way he was going. Deng would body too close to Lebron and Lebron would simply muscle straight around him.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I remember when people thought Luol Deng was more than just a role player and wouldn't trade him for the likes of Monta Ellis...turns out he really was just an overrated role player. He is a spot up shooter who plays good defense.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I remember when people thought Luol Deng was more than just a role player and wouldn't trade him for the likes of Monta Ellis...turns out he really was just an overrated role player. He is a spot up shooter who plays good defense.
Doesn't even do that according to poido, :lol:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Deng is a good choice for a team that settles for a good consistent player after missing out on a difference maker. I think we all saw that Deng could play well most of the time but also faded into the background in games. He reached a point with his play but never stepped up to a higher level in scoring or ability to take over a game.

Could've been a false/leaked "leverage" thing.

Seeing Kyrie plans on accepting 5/$90M deal by Cavs. Interesting. Thought he'd bolt.

I'm sure everybody thought he couldn't resist going to Miami but like almost every player, it's still basketball, in shorts, for the same 82 games and he took the most money. And the money is what matters because when he's 45 he'll be living better with more cash than if he had moved when he was 24.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So if Lebron's making 24, that means Bosh and Wade are both making what...10M or less each?
Wade should make the least out of all of them...

Bosh more... LeBron way more than anyone else. Either way thats $12 million to spend on 7-8 players since they have spent all but $12 million on 5 players.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wade should make the least out of all of them...

Bosh more... LeBron way more than anyone else. Either way thats $12 million to spend on 7-8 players since they have spent all but $12 million on 5 players.
Well you know they'll end up with at least 4-5 vet min guys. You can pencil Haslem in there. James Jones will probably want to come back and take up a spot. Birdman might come back. They can spend a good chunk of that 12M on someone actually decent (Lowry perhaps?) and then the ring chasers will come flocking.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well you know they'll end up with at least 4-5 vet min guys. You can pencil Haslem in there. James Jones will probably want to come back and take up a spot. Birdman might come back. They can spend a good chunk of that 12M on someone actually decent (Lowry perhaps?) and then the ring chasers will come flocking.
Birdman has said he's not taking the vet minimum. He wants one last pay day.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks