Carlos Boozer's time Bulls all but over

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Bulls are assuming they’ll have to acquire Anthony as a free agent, and they felt good about their position after meeting with him Tuesday in Chicago.

The good news for the Bulls is they likely won’t have to wait long for Anthony’s answer.

A specific monetary amount was not discussed with Anthony, but all indications are that he’ll make a quick decision. He visited the Mavericks and Rockets on Wednesday and was headed back home to Los Angeles to meet with the Lakers on Thursday. He’ll have one more talk with the Knicks before making his decision.

The Bulls understand that Phil's not interested in a sign-and-trade that sends Carmelo to another EC team. They simply have to wait for Melo's decision before negotiating the financials of a deal. Then they can decide who goes along with Boozer so they can sign Melo as a FA. Nothing bad or surprising about that at all.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@WindhorstESPN: Bulls told Carlos Boozer it's a possibility he will be amnestied or used in a sign-&-trade but have made no final decisions, sources said

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Uncomfirmed reports really, but I kinda figured no one would really want Boozer. I figured he wouldnt get amnestied until Melo makes his decision though and then the Bulls inquiry if Phil will take him or not if Melo decides to come here.

They're "sources" the guy in the next booth at IHOP could be a source.

Most of the time it's an agent trying to push a team to trade or trade for a client, sometimes to free up space for another of his clients. If a bad team that might be interested in a trade for Boozer and his contract reads the Bulls could amnesty him they know that he could sign with a better team for the minimum once he's cut loose, so maybe they decide to pull the trigger rather than lose him.

I think even Carlos can see the handwriting on the locker door. The amnesty period is July 10-17 and the Bulls would be fools to do it before they try every avenue to trade him, if they get Anthony without a trade or until late on the 17th. With all the players in motion as FAs and teams wanting to trade players I just think they'll find someone who will take him. I look for teams that are either undersized at the 4 or drafted one who they think needs some time to develop.

Liked Posts:
They're "sources" the guy in the next booth at IHOP could be a source.

Most of the time it's an agent trying to push a team to trade or trade for a client, sometimes to free up space for another of his clients. If a bad team that might be interested in a trade for Boozer and his contract reads the Bulls could amnesty him they know that he could sign with a better team for the minimum once he's cut loose, so maybe they decide to pull the trigger rather than lose him.

I think even Carlos can see the handwriting on the locker door. The amnesty period is July 10-17 and the Bulls would be fools to do it before they try every avenue to trade him, if they get Anthony without a trade or until late on the 17th. With all the players in motion as FAs and teams wanting to trade players I just think they'll find someone who will take him. I look for teams that are either undersized at the 4 or drafted one who they think needs some time to develop.

Like Charlotte? What's weird is that it might actually make sense to find a team under the cap and throw in a first and then maybe have a 2nd coming back.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Door.... Ass.... Better hurry.

Celks

Liked Posts:
The Bulls understand that Phil's not interested in a sign-and-trade that sends Carmelo to another EC team. They simply have to wait for Melo's decision before negotiating the financials of a deal. Then they can decide who goes along with Boozer so they can sign Melo as a FA. Nothing bad or surprising about that at all.

That's what a "source" reports right now but when it comes down to it, Phil would be stupid to let Melo walk for nothing. As far as we know it could be a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't it make sense for teams to wait for him to be amnestied when they can sign him for less?

True enough, dont know why I didnt think of that. SO the next question is what is his market value at now?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
That's what a "source" reports right now but when it comes down to it, Phil would be stupid to let Melo walk for nothing. As far as we know it could be a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Phil, almost everything he says is a smokescreen. Apparently, the Bulls haven't approached the Knicks with any offers yet. My guess is, if Melo chooses Chicago, Phil will have no choice but to take Boozer and a 1st round pick. If they don't, the Bulls have other options. However, Butler, Dunleavy, and possibly Taj might have to be traded in order to sign Melo, which could be a deal breaker.

The bigger concern is if LeBron takes his talents to Manhattan. The Bulls would basically be screwed if this happens.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
After reading the thread title, I strangely thought what Boozer would be like as a ghost haunting his own tombstone. "GIMME DAT SOUL, JO," one paranormal investigator would pick up on EVP. And still even in ethereal form, his defense would still suck against proton guns.

Pre-R.I.P.

This is my favorite comment of all time. +1 "grab that extoplasm!"

Liked Posts:
If the Bulls would have amnestied Boozer last summer, would it have made a difference this summer in terns of what they could pay Anthony?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the Bulls would have amnestied Boozer last summer, would it have made a difference this summer in terns of what they could pay Anthony?
I don't think so. I think that just equates to the same situation, except we wouldn't have a S&T option

Liked Posts:
I don't think so. I think that just equates to the same situation, except we wouldn't have a S&T option

I have no reason to question you since I'm really not sure either but the one that makes me wonder is that from what I remember, the dollars off the books isn't dollar for dollar for what they can offer Anthony. Again, this could be wrong as it's going purely from memory. But if that's true, it would seem to suggest that there's some trigger where you're only freeing up a portion of payroll. In the NFL, the way it used to work is that the remaining pro-rated portion of a signing bonus is accelerated to the year a player is released resulting in dead cap money. I'm wondering if some nuance exists that has a similar effect in the NBA.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Of course it would. If they Amnestied Boozer like they should have last year, his contract would no longer count against the Bull's salary cap.

Liked Posts:
Of course it would. If they Amnestied Boozer like they should have last year, his contract would no longer count against the Bull's salary cap.

And let me guess, they didn't do it because of some impact it would have had on Reinsdorf?

So effectively, instead of Anthony, we get Boozer and Reinsdorfs cheapness.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
And let me guess, they didn't do it because of some impact it would have had on Reinsdorf?

So effectively, instead of Anthony, we get Boozer and Reinsdorfs cheapness.

Effectively, yes. They run this team like a fucking car dealership and it's getting old. The Bulls should have been preparing for this well in advance. They should have Amnestied Boozer, moved Taj for a pick last year, then traded up for a lottery pick. If they had done this, they would have had Rose, Noah, a lottery draft pick and Melo to build around. They could have positioned themselves to add Gasol as well. This is the primary reason the Bulls never seem to get better. This Bulls FO lacks the vision and courage to move the franchise forward.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they amnesty him right now his contract would no longer count against the salary cap too. They'd be in the same position wouldn't they?