Germany wins and moves to the quarter finals

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shooting a hard, dense, small disc with a customized stick held with both hands is obviously going to be far more accurate than shooting a large, hollow sphere with your foot. The control and aerodynamics are completely different. Which is what I think mick was getting at. There is a lot more movement and play to a soccer ball while in flight. There is a reason the nets are a different size. How can you not see the skill required to control and be accurate in soccer?

I think precision might be part of my thought as well. Baseball, obviously has to be precise. Football, for the most part is. Hockey is. Tennis is. Soccer is just not very precise.

malcore

I think precision might be part of my thought as well. Baseball, obviously has to be precise. Football, for the most part is. Hockey is. Tennis is. Soccer is just not very precise.

Ah, but when it is...

Ox9zYuo.jpg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm referring to the uncontested kick with the exception of the goalie. I guess they should keep that for comical purposes. Goalie leaps left, ball goes right, GOOALLLL!.

A free kick is when the ball is outside of the box. Any foul in the box is a penalty kick. That's why I was confused when you said close free kick as I wasn't sure if you meant a penalty kick or a free kick just a wee bit outside the box.

Elaborate please. Seriously, I honestly don't get it. In hockey you can pretty much put the puck wherever you want if given a shot. In soccer they blast the ball 10 yards wide of the net. How did soccer gain another dimension? Hockey isn't air hockey if that's what you meant.

It's not really a fair comparison. All those other sports are using your hands which unless you routinely open doors with your feet, it should be obvious why those sports are more precise. The main body part controlling where the ball or puck goes happens to be the most accurate appendage in the animal kingdom due to the evolution of the opposable thumb.

By contrast, the human foot really has no such clear evolutionary advantage so to get the level of accuracy soccer players get with it is all the more remarkable.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Elaborate please. Seriously, I honestly don't get it. In hockey you can pretty much put the puck wherever you want if given a shot. In soccer they blast the ball 10 yards wide of the net. How did soccer gain another dimension? Hockey isn't air hockey if that's what you meant.

The ball isn't on the ground like a hockey puck is when it's shot. It has the third dimension of up/down added to the regular two dimensions of forward/back and left/right. It's a lot harder than it looks.

As for penalty kicks, the reason the goalkeeper often goes in the opposite direction to the ball is because he has to guess. A soccer goal is 8 yards wide and the kick is taken from only 12 yards away, so there isn't time to wait and see which side it's going then react after it's already kicked. You have to basically guess a third and then react to the ball if you get it right.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The ball isn't on the ground like a hockey puck is when it's shot. It has the third dimension of up/down added to the regular two dimensions of forward/back and left/right. It's a lot harder than it looks.

As for penalty kicks, the reason the goalkeeper often goes in the opposite direction to the ball is because he has to guess. A soccer goal is 8 yards wide and the kick is taken from only 12 yards away, so there isn't time to wait and see which side it's going then react after it's already kicked. You have to basically guess a third and then react to the ball if you get it right.

How this isnt apparent to anyone is beyond me. Even when guessing correctly, the goalie may still be helpless when that ball is coming at you at speeds up to 100+mph.

That said, The English national team knows a good bit on how to blow a penalty shootout.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

You don't watch much hockey if you think it operates in two dimensions.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Also Packerfans understanding of hockey is poor also if he thinks guys can put the puck where they want and don't also blast way wide at open spots like in soccer.

Just watch the 4 corners drill at an allstars game and it's clear it's not that simple even for the greatest skilled players.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The puck, dummy. It's generally not in mid air when it's being shot.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The puck, dummy. It's generally not in mid air when it's being shot.

Actually a pretty high percentage of goals come off deflections and redirections which are intentionally done while the puck is in the air.