Bulls Need to Publicly Pull Out of Melo Chase and Commit to Love

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
The Bulls are the only team left in contention that gives him a chance to win. Period. Chicago and Houston were probably the only two "win now" teams that wooed Carmelo.

So the Bulls offer something unique NY and LA can't. If Carmelo isn't down with that, I can sleep easy at night knowing the Bulls will have a better record next year than whatever team he's on.

What if Melo replaces Bosh as a stretch 4 in Miami?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
What if Melo replaces Bosh as a stretch 4 in Miami?

Seems unlikely, although I suppose nothing would completely surprise me at this point.

LeBron and Melo both want the max, probably. How would that work financially in Miami?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems unlikely, although I suppose nothing would completely surprise me at this point.

LeBron and Melo both want the max, probably. How would that work financially in Miami?

Interesting question. We know with Wade and Lebron they can just resign with Bird Rights. That allows them to give McBob the MLE and Granger the BAE with no issues so long as they are over the cap. It seems that they'd be able to just stick Melo in the roster no problem since they have 55M in cap space. However, I think there's something in the CBA that would prevent a team from doing that because that's just too easy.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Interesting question. We know with Wade and Lebron they can just resign with Bird Rights. That allows them to give McBob the MLE and Granger the BAE with no issues so long as they are over the cap. It seems that they'd be able to just stick Melo in the roster no problem since they have 55M in cap space. However, I think there's something in the CBA that would prevent a team from doing that because that's just too easy.
LeBron, Bosh, Wade have cap holds which prevent Miami from really having 55 million in salary cap space. If they renounce the rights to those three, then they suddenly have cap space, but by using the MLE and biannual exception already, they limit the space they would have.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LeBron, Bosh, Wade have cap holds which prevent Miami from really having 55 million in salary cap space. If they renounce the rights to those three, then they suddenly have cap space, but by using the MLE and biannual exception already, they limit the space they would have.

So in other words, Melo has to take a pay cut?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So in other words, Melo has to take a pay cut?

Yes, I believe so. I don't believe Melo to Miami is possible at this point without him or others taking a severe pay cut.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, I believe so. I don't believe Melo to Miami is possible at this point without him or others taking a severe pay cut.

Then, arguably, the Bulls are still his best chance to win now since the Bulls would have a better top to bottom roster. I'm sure he's aware that if he can pull of a S&T, we're already about 7-8 deep as is. Miami would have maybe 5-6? Though I guess whatever ring chasers they add would give them at least as much depth, though probably of lower quality.

My hope is that the Knicks and Bulls are working a S&T somehow in the background without anyone knowing. Perhaps why it's taken so long is that the Knicks are either trying to not take Boozer back or they're trying to shove Bargnani or Amare onto us. That wouldn't make a lot of sense because it makes the salary matching part stupidly difficult. Who really knows...maybe it is Melo to Miami and they're just deciding on a final number for his paycut. :kermit:

czman

Liked Posts:

Close.

When they renounce those rights they lose the MLE and the Biannual. That means the McRoberts/Granger contract, that are not official yet go to cap space. The Players sign with what they have. The Heat only get the room MLE.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Close.

When they renounce those rights they lose the MLE and the Biannual. That means the McRoberts/Granger contract, that are not official yet go to cap space. The Players sign with what they have. The Heat only get the room MLE.
Ah ha that's the thing I was thinking of. If you renounce the rights then you can't have exceptions because you get the cap space.

I assume the earlier talk about Bosh and Melo taking like 12M a year to get the Heat 12M in cap space was with the rejecting of the rights then?

Liked Posts:

I wouldnt put it past Wade to do that. You'd then have Wade, Granger, LeBron, and Anthony though.i know they have very little invested in Granger but if he starts playing well, it could be crowded at the wing quickly.

czman

Liked Posts:
Ah ha that's the thing I was thinking of. If you renounce the rights then you can't have exceptions because you get the cap space.

I assume the earlier talk about Bosh and Melo taking like 12M a year to get the Heat 12M in cap space was with the rejecting of the rights then?

The MLE is a cap hold of that amount. Most teams will renounce it so they get the room MLE plus the room it provides. The room MLE is about the same as the Biannual.

czman

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt put it past Wade to do that. You'd then have Wade, Granger, LeBron, and Anthony though.i know they have very little invested in Granger but if he starts playing well, it could be crowded at the wing quickly.

That would be awful. 2 guys who cannot stay healthy and 2 guys who both can play the PF but don't like it.

This is a team a clown would put together in a video game and think is great.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lets see. If Carmelo wants to tie himself to Lebron he will forever be an underling to Lebron. What is his ego? What if Lebron wants to establish himself as a legend on his own? If he goes to the Bulls he is not anywhere under Rose. Not hardly. So if he wins 3-5 championships in Chicago, he can establish a legacy that could be actually better than Lebron.

I'm just saying. Melo will go to the Bulls if he wants to win. If he has an ego, he will. Wade and Bosh agreed to become second tier guys, what will Melo do?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I were Melo I would totally play with Wade and Bosh in Miami and that would be interesting to see what happens. Let Lebron do his thing.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If I were Melo I would totally play with Wade and Bosh in Miami and that would be interesting to see what happens. Let Lebron do his thing.

Who's better?:

Melo/Wade/Bosh

or

Melo/Rose/Noah

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who's better?:

Melo/Wade/Bosh

or

Melo/Rose/Noah
Arguably Melo/Wade/Bosh because Wade and Rose will not play enough games to matter so then it's just Melo/Bosh vs Melo/Noah and Bosh > Noah

:marshmallow:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How can you compare rosters without even mentioning Doug McDermatitis? Didnt the Spurs ass-pounding the Heat make you realize that its more than just 1-3?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How can you compare rosters without even mentioning Doug McDermatitis? Didnt the Spurs ass-pounding the Heat make you realize that its more than just 1-3?
BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE DA STARZ AND STUFFZ

:kermit: :kermit:

Liked Posts:
Arguably Melo/Wade/Bosh because Wade and Rose will not play enough games to matter so then it's just Melo/Bosh vs Melo/Noah and Bosh > Noah

:marshmallow:

You've got to be joking. Wade is old and injury prone. At least Rose us still young.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@FisolaNYDN: Carmelo told a friend within hour "I believe in Phil." Thursday is decision day & it looks like Melo's coming home http://t.co/Z2BiBcxUmf