Bulls Need to Publicly Pull Out of Melo Chase and Commit to Love

KPBears

Liked Posts:
And offer the NBA equivalent of a Herschel Walker type deal to Minnesota. Healthy Rose plus Love plus Noah plus 5 or 6 scrubs in the rotation has a better chance of making a legit title chase than healthy Rose, Noah, Butler, and Gibson. Butler and Gibson are very good role players, but that's just what they are. Role players. It's a star driven league, and unless you have one of the three best coaches of all time with a rotation of 7 guys who would be starters on any team in the NBA, you need at least 2 superstars (and no, Noah is not a superstar) to even think about competing. Offer the Wolves Butler, Gibson, Dunleavy, Boozer (unless Minnesota says fuck off to his salary), and 2 number ones. Pull off this deal, and they may even have money to go after nut job Lance Stephenson, who would be worth the headache on a team ready to compete for it all.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Bulls no longer have the assets to pull off such a trade. The time to make a trade for Love was before the draft. Gibson, Butler, Dunleavy and a first round pick next season won't get it done.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I have up on love and I think the FO realized the best route was to be aggressive with the UFA (melo) and using the draft to assure they at least get a quality player. Signing love next off-season is still in play even if its potentially less likely because of the possibility of love being traded to a team he'll re-up with. Even so...I think the bulls are and have been playin it right.

Tapatime

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
hold your horses

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
This is similar to a situation when a girlfriend realizes her boyfriend is about to dump her. So to save face, she'll dump him first and then she can hold her head high in front of her friends.

Wouldn't be a bad move to pull out of the Melo race. He's not coming here and our Front Office can basically say that Carmelo doesn't fit the needs of the organization at this time. That will teach him not to jerk the Bulls around.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
This is similar to a situation when a girlfriend realizes her boyfriend is about to dump her. So to save face, she'll dump him first and then she can hold her head high in front of her friends.

Wouldn't be a bad move to pull out of the Melo race. He's not coming here and our Front Office can basically say that Carmelo doesn't fit the needs of the organization at this time. That will teach him not to jerk the Bulls around.

Let it play out. The Bulls lost no face in this. Melo just said what sounded good if not outright lied. It has ALWAYS been about the money. If the Bulls can execute a S and T, Melo is here. Hopefully the Lakers emergence make the Knicks more agreeable to work with the Bulls.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Let it play out. The Bulls lost no face in this. Melo just said what sounded good if not outright lied. It has ALWAYS been about the money. If the Bulls can execute a S and T, Melo is here. Hopefully the Lakers emergence make the Knicks more agreeable to work with the Bulls.

Yeah, this feels like the Lakers trying to spite Phil and this might work to our advantage. Melo would like to play with the Bulls but he also wants the money through S&T. This may work to our advantage (remember Boozer still hasn't officially been amnestied) where when being faced with losing Melo for nothing to the Lakers who spurned Phil when they told him to get bent and hired D'Antoni or at least getting something from the Bulls, i think he will choose the latter.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Melo truly wants to be in Chicago then they can make it happen in a S&T. They dont want to lose him for nothing. He could say "Im gone either way. Let this be beneficial to both of us." Taj, Butler, Mirotic, picks, whatever it takes.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Melo truly wants to be in Chicago then they can make it happen in a S&T. They dont want to lose him for nothing. He could say "Im gone either way. Let this be beneficial to both of us." Taj, Butler, Mirotic, picks, whatever it takes.

I wouldn't include Taj or Butler....but yeah whatever else in regards to assets.

Mirotic & Kings pick as well as the Bulls throwing in their own protected 1st would be a good get for Phil.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

And if I were Melo in this situation, I would tell all the media that I had, in fact, chosen to go with the Bulls. However, since the Bulls said that I didn't fit into the organization at this time, I decided to go to my backup plan and sign with ...

This would ensure that Melo would never have to compete against the Bulls in a playoff situation since Melo would have effectively black-balled the Bulls for any free agent in the future.

wkkoch389

Liked Posts:
Why is everyone acting like bulls whiffed on Melo? It's not over. As far as pulling out as some sort of gesture to love, well, that's just stupid.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree on having Love in the back of the mind(which I think the Bulls do anyway), but chances are Minnesota's demand for him=/= resources the Bulls have. The biggest issue I see is that the Bulls can't use Mirotic in a S&T and that,IMO, would be something Minnesota really wants. They want promising young players(such as Taj), but if the Bulls can't offer Mirotic as well and the Warriors offer Barnes,Lee,and/or Thompson...then,well, that's the end of that. Houston will also be in contention for Love and they can offer some good packages.

But pulling out of the Melo sweepstakes before he has even decided makes zero sense. You could argue that he's going to sign with the Knicks anyway, and maybe he will, but it doesn't seem like a foregone conclusion, especially with the Lakers entering the conversation. None of us know for sure what is going on because there are conversations behind closed doors and the sources that try to capitalize on these conversations are vague and highly unreliable in general. If the Bulls pull out now, then they don't get Melo at all, and they don't really gain anything.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I'm hoping this isn't a serious post.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And offer the NBA equivalent of a Herschel Walker type deal to Minnesota. Healthy Rose plus Love plus Noah plus 5 or 6 scrubs in the rotation has a better chance of making a legit title chase than healthy Rose, Noah, Butler, and Gibson. Butler and Gibson are very good role players, but that's just what they are. Role players. It's a star driven league, and unless you have one of the three best coaches of all time with a rotation of 7 guys who would be starters on any team in the NBA, you need at least 2 superstars (and no, Noah is not a superstar) to even think about competing. Offer the Wolves Butler, Gibson, Dunleavy, Boozer (unless Minnesota says fuck off to his salary), and 2 number ones. Pull off this deal, and they may even have money to go after nut job Lance Stephenson, who would be worth the headache on a team ready to compete for it all.

You have to be kidding, right?