Lessor trade piece rumors

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With the trade of Shark/Hammel most of the sexy pieces are gone. However, Valbuena and some of the relievers are potentially available. In particular, the cubs have a boat load of relievers in AAA that are very good. Vizcaino likely will be on the MLB roster next year as well as guys like Armando Rivero, Zac Rosscup, Marcus Hatley, and Blake Parker have been particular filthy in AAA. All have 12.24 k/9 or higher with ERA's of 2.84 or lower. Zac Rosscup is a lefty so that could make one of Russell and Wright available(likely Russell as he's making more). The rest are all righties. I've heard some speculation that Strop might be available given he's already making $1.325 mil and is headed for arbitration 2. I'd also expect them to attempt to trade Schierholtz and Villianueva though I don't know if they will have any luck.

As for potential returns, Angels just traded Zach Borenstein(#9 prospect 45 grade) and Joey Krehbiel(not in their top 10) for Joe Thatcher and Tony Campana. Thatcher is a lefty it's likely what you'd expect out of Russell give or take. Valbuena I have no real idea how to value because I'm not sure how other teams view him. But conservatively, if a LOOGY gets you a top 10 prospect of 45 grade I think you could expect similar for Valbuena.
Cubs also have their international FA slots to add in as sweetners though the Brewers and the Yankees are likely the only two who have went over who would care about adding players since the Red Sox and Rays are out of the race. There's a lot of playoff teams hurting at 2B so Valbuena and Barney may have some desire. The only other 2Bs I can think of on the market are Aaron Hill, Utley and Zobrist.

I'm curious how desperate some of the teams get for pitching. By trading away both their pieces early and to the same team cubs have created an artificial demand with there being lack luster options out there. The yankees just lost Sabathia and are reeling 3.5 games out of the wild card. KC is 1.5 out. Pittsburgh is 1.5 out. Seattle is barely holding on. Toronto is 1 out in the WC and .5 game out in the division. If any more of these teams have an injury Jackson might hilariously become a trade piece just to be a 4/5th starter and maybe get a team into the playoffs. If you look at the Yanks in particular they have Tanaka and Kuroda followed by Vidal Nuno(5.42 ERA), David Phelps(4.26), and Chase Whitley(5.28). Suddenly Jackson's 4.99 ERA doesn't seem *that* bad. In theory, the add someone like Jackson and a second pitcher they could slot in as a #3. They clearly need at least 2 pitchers and it's tough to see that many out there. Price is but they don't have that sort of clout. Cliff Lee might be out there but we've not heard much on him. Justin Masterson might be out there. I highly doubt anyone would give up more than a Black level player for Jackson and probably not that much with him sitting at a 5 ERA. But, he's got maybe 5 starts until the deadline and if he pitches well who knows. For example, if he pitches 5 games with 6 innings and 2 earned that will drop him down to a 4.5 ERA. The cubs have cincy, atl, dbacks, san diego, colorado and the cards prior to the deadline. Pads, cards, braves, reds and dbacks are all in the bottom 12 in runs/game. So, it's not *that* crazy to suggest he could have a nice little run of starts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If Theo somehow traded Edwin Jackson, and got back more than a bag of baseballs, they should start working on his statue right now! :)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If Theo somehow traded Edwin Jackson, and got back more than a bag of baseballs, they should start working on his statue right now! :)

I think it's unlikely but if you're the yankees how do you not make a move for pitching? I mean you're paying a ridiculous amount of luxury tax each year and they spent a crap ton of money this off season. I can't see them throwing in the towel. And if you need two pitcher who are you getting? They didn't have enough to land Shark so I think it's incredibly unlikely they'd land Lee or Price especially with Price being in division.

Keep in mind last year they took on Soriano at the deadline who sucked to start last year and got a little hot in July. I think it would be a giant mistake for them but crazy things happen when people are desperate to win..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't think you're wrong to suggest it could happen.

I was simply stating how thrilled I will be if it does.

As my brothers and I say in these scenarios: "I'll drive him to the airport."

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yankees just traded for Brandon McCarthy who was doing worse than Jackson. However he only has the remainder of this season on his deal

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yankees just traded for Brandon McCarthy who was doing worse than Jackson. However he only has the remainder of this season on his deal

Not sure if that is a good sign or a bad one. It's good to see a player with that ERA getting traded but it's bad as that's one less pitcher the yanks need.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I find it interesting that the cubs still haven't traded away slot money for the IFA but instead have been signing some players

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I find it interesting that the cubs still haven't traded away slot money for the IFA but instead have been signing some players

Realistically, they probably can't trade it all anyways and you have a $700k base that you can't trade anyways. So, I think that's to be expected. I seriously doubt they are going to even remotely approach their limit when they can only spend $250k at a time.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
James Russell‘s name was “heard very often” as a trade possibility this weekend, Peter Gammons tweets. With Chicago in seller mode, Russell’s 2.22 ERA would definitely attract teams looking for a left-handed bullpen arm, though his 4.45 xFIP suggests he has been greatly helped by a .209 BABIP and an 82.6% strand rate this year. Russell has also posted reverse splits this season by pitching much better against right-handed hitters, as opposed to his usual dominance over left-handed batters. Russell, 28, is pitching on a one-year, $1.775MM contract and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The southpaw also drew a lot of interest during last year’s trade deadline and was close to being dealt to the Braves.

A member of the Mets organization described Starlin Castro as “a perfect match” for their club, John Harper of the New York Daily News reports. Addison Russell‘s acquisition makes the Cubs even deeper at shortstop and Castro seems like a logical trade candidate, while Harper feels the Mets have the young pitchers necessary to swing a deal. Harper suggests Zack Wheeler and a minor league leaguer could interest the Cubs, though the Mets would balk at moving Wheeler and Jacob deGrom, or top prospect Noah Syndergaard.

Newsday’s David Lennon, however, doesn’t see the Mets rushing to acquire any major pieces this month, let alone for Castro. In regards to the Cubs shortstop, the Mets would have issues taking on Castro’s contract and one New York official brought up Castro’s somewhat low on-base percentages as a cause for concern.

The Cubs’ focus on amassing position player depth in their minor league system stands contrary to the Cardinals’ long-standing strategy of developing as many young pitchers as possible, Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes.

I fidn the newsday article kind of funny as beggers can't be choosers.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems like the rebuild is going on schedule so far, 2015 was the time where we would start making a turn, and right now at least. it looks like that is exactly what is coming.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Nationals, who have had extension offers rejected by shortstop Ian Desmond according to multiple reports, are “actively seeking” young shortstops in trades, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

This could be a dark horse interesting location for Castro if they came hard after him. With Zimmerman and Fister becoming a FA shortly and highly regarded pitching prospects A.J. Cole and Lucas Giolito they would have the right stuff for a deal. Plus, they would still have Strasburg and Gio to head up the top of their rotation.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Phillips tore his thumb ligament. He's out along while. Yady also tore his thumb ligament and is out 8-12 weeks. Phillips in particular makes an already sparse 2B market more active. Oakland, Toronto, NYY, Cards, and numerous others hurting there. Of the teams still in it the M's, Dodgers, and Brewers are really only the solid teams there.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So what's your guess? Barney or Valbuena?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So what's your guess? Barney or Valbuena?

It wouldn't shock me if both got traded honestly given the lack of people on the market. Perhaps Utley is out there but he's going to cost you a fair amount and smaller market teams aren't in it. I've heard some mention of Aaron Hill out of AZ but IIRC he's not having a great year. Zobrist too would net a decent haul. If I had to guess one guy my money is on Valbuena because he's the better hitter and can play 2B and 3B where additional teams might want to use him. But, Toronto was supposedly looking for more of a defensive guy prior to all their injuries to good hitters. It's probably a case by case scenario of who's looking for what. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any great fits for Barney but he wouldn't be a terrible defensive replacement type off the bench for a team shallow on defense. Perhaps the Yankees given they have some hitting and with their pitching needs they could package Barney and maybe Jackson together for a minor return plus the international slots that the yanks surely will want to acquire($1 mil or so worth).

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
OK, so let's say they trade them both. That would mean they bring Watkins up for the rest of the season?

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't trade Valbuena unless they are going to pull the trigger on Bryant. I doubt they will so....Olt full time? pass

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They called Rosscup upso I'm expecting one of the LH to get delt soon.

Bonifacio has 20 days to rehab and they are taking their time with him due to his injury. I don't expect him traded pre waver.

To open up 2 spots I expect a LH traded and Lake demoted. The park had it's biggest sales of the year to see Alcantara 37k. That fact is going to ring home with ownership. Bring up some kids and the place start to fill up. That is pretty much the bottom line here. Sure they could show case a bunch of replacement quality players but seriously none are going to bring much value.

They already shot their load time to get some kids some playing time.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Royals sre rumored to be interested in Villanueva and Ruggiano