BA's and BP's top 50 midseason lists

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hawk Harrelson just cancelled his subscription to both!!!!!

His main sqeeze, Micah Johnson is not on either list! OH THE FRICKIN SHAME.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Isn't that the exact thing people are doing with Alcantara? He'd never played OF prior until AAA and has only played 10 games there ever in the minors.

That is why they are putting him in. CF now vs the majors.

If Theo was serious about Baez at 3B he would be getting reps now.

Your theories are biased and have little more than numbers to back it vs watching what they are doing.

Why would they start to have Alcantara play CF now?

Because that is where they want him.

Baez has not been getting time in at 2B, 3B or OF. That leads me to believe that there is a good chance of him sticking at SS. Now on a position change he has said 2B felt more natural than 3B for him. He also said he liked making diving catches in the OF.

He was not jazzed about 3B. Not to mention they have not put him out there.

Add to it why draft Bryant and move him to the OF right away?

All the signs are pointing to Alcantara to CF. Rest is not clear yet.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Your theories are biased and have little more than numbers to back it vs watching what they are doing.

Baez has not been getting time in at 2B, 3B or OF. That leads me to believe that there is a good chance of him sticking at SS. Now on a position change he has said 2B felt more natural than 3B for him. He also said he liked making diving catches in the OF.

But your argument just doesn't hold up for Baez. Junior Lake wasn't getting OF time. They called him up, he's an OFer.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
McLeod talked about Bryant staying at third cause his defense improved. He also said Alcantara will see a good amount of time in center. Him saying that makes me believe Baez is about to take 2nd over Alcantara

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Alcantara isn't playing every single game in CF. He's played 10 games out of 86 games. If he were as guaranteed to play there as you're suggesting he would be playing there daily. He's not even playing the majority of his time there recently. Additionally, it's not like they didn't see this coming. We've known since Bryant was drafted that there was going to be a logjam of players in the infield. So, if it was a certainty they would have moved him to CF then instead of having him hang around at SS until Baez was called up to AA last year and forced him to move to 2B. Also, if that was the move why move him to 2B in the first place? Go straight to CF.

Why isn't Baez getting time at 3B? Perhaps because Bryant is still playing there and Villanueva before him. As for why Bryant isn't moved, that's because they want to see him at 3B as long as possible. And the flip side of your argument is if Baez is certainly going to 2B then why isn't he playing there full time right now in AAA? You make it out like switching from SS to 3B is some epic change. Manny Machado played a grand total of 4 games there before starting an entire season there a few years back. And Machado has been pretty good there. In 51 games in 2012 he had a UZR/150 of 5.3. Last year at 3B he won a gold glove with a 31.2 UZR/150.

Whether or not Baez likes it is pretty irrelevant. He'll play where they put him. Am I guaranteeing that's where Baez will play, of course not. However, I think it makes the most sense. Additionally, with Castro/Russell at SS and Baez at 2B you leave yourself very little room to add 1/2 hitters. Typically, you're talking about table setters coming out of CF, SS, and 2B and two of those will be taking by players who are unlikely to hit 1/2. Perhaps you can argue Russell can hit 2nd and Alcantara/Almora can lead off but that doesn't leave you much wiggle room. And maybe you can add a lead off hitter out of LF or RF but at that point you're removing Soler/Schwarber types from corner outfield. By playing Alcantara at 2B, it gives you two common positions for top of the order hitters even if Almora and him end up failing.

Like I said, Baez profiles more as a 3B than a 2B because of his power. Can he play 2B? Yeah probably but can you find a lead off hitter type as a 3B/RF? That's harder.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Soler can't be too far off from the list. He just hasn't been healthy. Same goes for Edwards

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Whether or not Baez likes it is pretty irrelevant. He'll play where they put him.
LOL. If he doesn't like 3B, how well do you think a player's D is going to be at the corner?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
LOL. If he doesn't like 3B, how well do you think a player's D is going to be at the corner?

If he doesn't play well he's not going to be a major league player especially if it's an issue with effort. If the team decides that's his best position and he half asses it do you really want that player on your team anyways?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alcantara isn't playing every single game in CF. He's played 10 games out of 86 games. If he were as guaranteed to play there as you're suggesting he would be playing there daily. He's not even playing the majority of his time there recently. Additionally, it's not like they didn't see this coming. We've known since Bryant was drafted that there was going to be a logjam of players in the infield. So, if it was a certainty they would have moved him to CF then instead of having him hang around at SS until Baez was called up to AA last year and forced him to move to 2B. Also, if that was the move why move him to 2B in the first place? Go straight to CF.

Why isn't Baez getting time at 3B? Perhaps because Bryant is still playing there and Villanueva before him. As for why Bryant isn't moved, that's because they want to see him at 3B as long as possible. And the flip side of your argument is if Baez is certainly going to 2B then why isn't he playing there full time right now in AAA? You make it out like switching from SS to 3B is some epic change. Manny Machado played a grand total of 4 games there before starting an entire season there a few years back. And Machado has been pretty good there. In 51 games in 2012 he had a UZR/150 of 5.3. Last year at 3B he won a gold glove with a 31.2 UZR/150.

Whether or not Baez likes it is pretty irrelevant. He'll play where they put him. Am I guaranteeing that's where Baez will play, of course not. However, I think it makes the most sense. Additionally, with Castro/Russell at SS and Baez at 2B you leave yourself very little room to add 1/2 hitters. Typically, you're talking about table setters coming out of CF, SS, and 2B and two of those will be taking by players who are unlikely to hit 1/2. Perhaps you can argue Russell can hit 2nd and Alcantara/Almora can lead off but that doesn't leave you much wiggle room. And maybe you can add a lead off hitter out of LF or RF but at that point you're removing Soler/Schwarber types from corner outfield. By playing Alcantara at 2B, it gives you two common positions for top of the order hitters even if Almora and him end up failing.

Like I said, Baez profiles more as a 3B than a 2B because of his power. Can he play 2B? Yeah probably but can you find a lead off hitter type as a 3B/RF? That's harder.

The bottom line is Alcantara has played CF. So figure it out.

I can't say what they are going to do with Baez right no or Bryant. Neither have moved off their positions even for a game.

For all we know Theo is listing to offers for Castro on the down low. Even MLB network was wondering if Castro will be used as trade bait now that they have 2 top 10 SS's 1 in AAA 1 in AA.

For all we know the Mets my dangle Wheeler and Theo jumps at it due to teams not willing to give up top arms. I couldn't blame him if he did. You use system strength to get system weakness.

Top of the rotation arms is a larger concern over the musical SS chairs going on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I can't say what they are going to do with Baez right no or Bryant. Neither have moved off their positions even for a game.

For all we know Theo is listing to offers for Castro on the down low. Even MLB network was wondering if Castro will be used as trade bait now that they have 2 top 10 SS's 1 in AAA 1 in AA.

For all we know the Mets my dangle Wheeler and Theo jumps at it due to teams not willing to give up top arms. I couldn't blame him if he did. You use system strength to get system weakness.

Top of the rotation arms is a larger concern over the musical SS chairs going on.

Wheeler wouldnt get it done and the Mets dont want to give up their pitching prospects.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

And he has played 2B much more often. They haven't come out and said he will play CF. They've experimented to see if he *can* play CF. That's two entirely different levels of expectation. Quite frankly, I don't think they've made a decision one way or another. I fully expect them to bring up Alcantara within the next month or two and let him play 2B. If he hits then they make a decision on Baez and Bryant one way or another. If he doesn't then it's a much easier decision because you're talking about another half year minimum in AAA for Alcantara which would give them more time to try him in CF.

Overall, I think it's a long term mistake but whatever.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways you have to look at current team needs. CF has scabs. LF has scabs. RF has Schierholtz hitting FA.

3B Valbuena under control 2 years

2B Barney under control 2 years.

They could add 3 OF next year and leave the IF status que.

Looking further you have a RF and another MI incoming.

My opinion fill CF first. Almora is in A+ still. Too far away to worry about him.

RF Soler would be a phone call away. You do not use Bryant to fill for Soler and Baez to block his natural. Bryant is the best hitter of the group and he takes priority. They adjust to him.

So looking at it you put a short term easy to get rid of RF to keep RF warm for Soler. If Soler delays and Russell progresses naturally than you start to think moving Russell to 3B and Bryant to RF.

With Castro I would status que until things shake out. If Soler and Russell progress fine and are ready then I would try to use the excess depth to add pitching.

Logically you would sell Castro to cut payroll and add some young arms. Using youth to get proven is a option also.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And he has played 2B much more often. They haven't come out and said he will play CF. They've experimented to see if he *can* play CF. That's two entirely different levels of expectation. Quite frankly, I don't think they've made a decision one way or another. I fully expect them to bring up Alcantara within the next month or two and let him play 2B. If he hits then they make a decision on Baez and Bryant one way or another. If he doesn't then it's a much easier decision because you're talking about another half year minimum in AAA for Alcantara which would give them more time to try him in CF.

Overall, I think it's a long term mistake but whatever.

Not really. He is at best the 4th best prospect in the Cubs system. It is not like we are talking about Bux.

He fills a team need. A lead off. D spot is a secondary concern here.

If he is athletic and talented enough time and effort he should become fine as a CF.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If he doesn't play well he's not going to be a major league player especially if it's an issue with effort. If the team decides that's his best position and he half asses it do you really want that player on your team anyways?

Wrong. If he hits they will find a place for him where he wants to work.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Anyways you have to look at current team needs.

3B is garbage too. Valbuena isn't a long term solution as a start but you can easily play him at 3B where Olt has frankly been garbage. Bareny.... really? If you want an immediate upgrade, Span should be cheap and will be available not to mention he's a very good defensive CF, a lefty, and a top of the order hitter. Your options at 2B next off season are as follows

Emilio Bonifacio (30)
Alexi Casilla (30)
Mark Ellis (38)
Rafael Furcal (37)
Chris Getz (31)
Tyler Greene (31)
Kelly Johnson (33)
Nick Punto (37) - $2.75MM club/vesting option with a $250k buyout
Brian Roberts (37)
Ramon Santiago (35)
Rickie Weeks (32) – $11.5MM vesting option
Ben Zobrist (34) – $7.5MM club option with a $500k buyout

I'm taking Span over any of those save for Zobrist who almost assuredly will be optioned. I just feel Alcantara to CF is trying to force an issue where they don't need to. Even if you say all of the big 3 in AAA come up you can play Bryant in RF, Baez at 3B, and Alcantara at 2B and add Span an the team is in a much better position than trying to add two corner OF out of Melky, Cruz and basically nothing.

Melky Cabrera (30)
Chris Denorfia (34)
Jonny Gomes (34)
Tony Gwynn Jr. (32)
Scott Hairston (35)
Reed Johnson (38)
Ryan Ludwick (36) – $9MM mutual option with a $4.5MM buyout
Darnell McDonald (35)
Mike Morse (33)
Alfonso Soriano (39)
Vernon Wells (36)
Josh Willingham (36)
Delmon Young (29)
Norichika Aoki (33)
Tyler Colvin (29)
Nelson Cruz (34)
Michael Cuddyer (36)
Chris Denorfia (34)
Jeff Francoeur (31)
Scott Hairston (35)
Torii Hunter (39)
Nick Markakis (31) – $17.5MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout
Alex Rios (34) – $13.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Nate Schierholtz (31)
Ichiro Suzuki (41)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hey guys.. instead of banging your heads trying to figure out where these kids are gonna play or should play.
wait til they actually come up and make the 25 man roster and then we will see where they play them..

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Hey guys.. instead of banging your heads trying to figure out where these kids are gonna play or should play.
wait til they actually come up and make the 25 man roster and then we will see where they play them..

Well, that's not very sporting then, is it?