Bulls, Thunder considered front runners for Pau

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234170/Bulls-Thunder-Considered-Favorites-For-Pau-Gasol

The Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder have emerged as the favorites to sign Pau Gasol.

Gasol is also considering re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers, while the New York Knicks and San Antonio Spurs are additional possibilities.

Speculation: If the Bulls can flip Gibson & Dun to the Lakers for Pau in a sign and trade while securing Pau's cap number for 6mil in '14....that would free up another 5mil in cap space. This could potentially allow the Bulls to sign Mirotic & Melo out right after amnestying Boozer.

The reason for speculation on this is because:

1. Pau has been rumored heavily to the Knicks to sign for little in an attempt to keep Melo.

2. Pau isn't coming to Chicago to back-up Taj. Even if Taj should start over him- no way Pau will see it that way.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd do it because we get Melo and Mirotic out of it, but I question if the financials work as nicely as you say...will have to double check that later when I have time

czman

Liked Posts:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234170/Bulls-Thunder-Considered-Favorites-For-Pau-Gasol

Speculation: If the Bulls can flip Gibson & Dun to the Lakers for Pau in a sign and trade while securing Pau's cap number for 6mil in '14....that would free up another 5mil in cap space. This could potentially allow the Bulls to sign Mirotic & Melo out right after amnestying Boozer.

The reason for speculation on this is because:

1. Pau has been rumored heavily to the Knicks to sign for little in an attempt to keep Melo.

2. Pau isn't coming to Chicago to back-up Taj. Even if Taj should start over him- no way Pau will see it that way.

That math is not going to work.

Melo ~21
Pau ~6
Euro kid ~4.5

That is 30+

Boozer + Gibson + Dunleavy may get the Bulls 24 million. I think the Bulls are going to be 6-8 million short. I don't know who takes less, but in this situation I don't think the Bulls get to that number.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
That math is not going to work.

Melo ~21
Pau ~6
Euro kid ~4.5

That is 30+

Boozer + Gibson + Dunleavy may get the Bulls 24 million. I think the Bulls are going to be 6-8 million short. I don't know who takes less, but in this situation I don't think the Bulls get to that number.

I was thinking more of 18mil for Melo and 3mil for Mirotic with the cap being slightly higher than you believe it will be.

czman

Liked Posts:
I was thinking more of 18mil for Melo and 3mil for Mirotic with the cap being slightly higher than you believe it will be.

I no longer think Melo is willing to take 18 million. I also don't think the Euro kid will take 3 million. That would do it. I also highly question Pau taking 6.

That is just me though.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I no longer think Melo is willing to take 18 million. I also don't think the Euro kid will take 3 million. That would do it. I also highly question Pau taking 6.

That is just me though.

You're most likely right on all counts.

It was pure speculation on my part in regards to Pau perhaps being in the fold to lure Melo. If Pau takes a 2yr/13 mil type deal his cap number could be around 6mil- but again it is highly unlikely he takes that. However, just ask any Knicks fan...Pau is theirs for less than 4mil next year.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Unless some writer comes up with a quote from Pau Gasol saying the Bulls are the front runners it's just the same stupid guesswork that makes up every other story going around.