The beginning of the.....The beginning

Meatball

Liked Posts:
Wow I wet my pants reading this.

The future is now!

Theo is a God!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The As are still interested in acquiring Valbuena, that nay be alcantara ticket to staying up pass the 3 days..

Also it may not happen but wouldn't surprise me if alcantara gives a little jolt to offense if Lake gets sent down. .

Meatball

Liked Posts:
The As are still interested in acquiring Valbuena, that nay be alcantara ticket to staying up pass the 3 days..

Also it may not happen but wouldn't surprise me if alcantara gives a little jolt to offense if Lake gets sent down. .

Now all they need is for Baez, Bryant, Almora, and Soler is come up and become instant allstars too and they might have a team.

Oh wait........any of these guys pitch?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did Mark Derosa ever make an all-star team? Was Mark DeRosa ever considered a top 50 prospect? Believe me, I love players who have flexibility(see: anything I said about Bonifacio pre-season). However, if a top 50 prospect becomes a super-utility player instead of a starter at one position you're likely talking about a failure. Super-utility guys are generally bench players who play because a team isn't a complete team. Zobrist is the only guy I can think of that was a starter on a first division team.
Martin Prado would be another example of a guy that played multiple positions for a quality team, and was an above average bat. Just because he can play multiple positions doesn't make him less valuable. It makes him more valuable.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Martin Prado would be another example of a guy that played multiple positions for a quality team, and was an above average bat. Just because he can play multiple positions doesn't make him less valuable. It makes him more valuable.

I don't really view Prado as a super utility guy. He was flexible sure. But when he went to a new team he slotted into one position. He's not playing 3-4 positions a week. Since coming to the d-backs he's basically been their starting 3B. What bugs me is the hypocrisy of the situation. Some bristle when you bring up the idea of moving Castro off short for Baez/Russell because "he's an all star" but when you bring up the concept of Alcantara it's "fine sure move him." I'd ask the question what has Alcantara done that makes him viewed as any less potential than Castro? Sure it's "potential" but the past 3 season between A+, AA, and AA he has had wRC+'s of 121, 132 and 127. Castro over those similar levels had 112, 109 and 164 with the 164 being largely because he hit .367/.413/.560 and Alcantara has more of your typical counting stats including doubles/triples. As another example, in 2009 Castro was the 16th player on BA's top 100 compared to Alcantara who was 18th and 33rd I believe on BP's and BA's midseason list.

I honestly just don't get it. If your stance is any player can move then fine, I get why some would suggest to move Alcantara. But if your someone suggesting not to touch Castro then why are you then suggesting to touch Alcantara? He's going to be in the majors full time before Baez. This brief call up essentially assures that. But when you bring up this super-utility concept it doesn't have the connotation of a Castro level player. It has the connotation of DeRosa, Bonifacio and Valbuena. This is in no way me belittling those guys. I appreciate them for what they are. For example, if Logan Watkins becomes that as a player who's been doing that in AAA then I'd be ecstatic because like people say they have value. My problem is when you're talking about a top 50 prospect at that level. It's like saying Castro would be a good super utility guy in my opinion.

And again, I'd like nothing more for Alcantara to be the next BJ Upton defensively(hope he's not Upton offensively) to go from SS/2B to CF and be an elite defender in CF. I think it's unlikely he'll be that good but Alcantara at CF has the ability to be an MVP candidate if he's good defensively. He'd make Almora entirely expendable at that point. I'm just saying it's not that easy to move former MI's to CF and have them be good defensively because if it were every team would have an elite defensive CFer.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If Alcantara is coming up to play second base for just a couple of days, the Cubs might as well just not promote him and play Luis Valbuena at second base and Mike Olt at third base. They should play Alcantara in the outfield and keep him up.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Kind of interesting. I would say they would send him back down, but why call him up then? You could have easily called up Watkins. Maybe they are trying to get some life into the lineup.

I think it shows that they have a clear plan to let the kid play when he finally does get his first real call-up. They don't appear worried about his options. When he's up, he'll be here to stay.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I bet he stays up.. they probably have a deal on the table and didn't want to jump the gun on saying alcantara up to stay in case the deal fell through. .

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Alcantara playing in the outfield in AAA? If he plays well, why not play him in the outfield and keep Barney at second base?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is playing 2B tonight. IDK with the A's making a push for Valbuena it could happen.

I just don't see teams wanting Barney ATM.

My opinion is Alcantara in CF. Barney at 2B and demote Lake. Let Cog have it for now.

Valbuena they have 2 more years of control and I would be hard pressed to trade it early.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wasn't Alcantara playing in the outfield in AAA? If he plays well, why not play him in the outfield and keep Barney at second base?

that would be the scenario if they keep him up after Barney return...

im kinda leaning on a Barney deal, especially since he been swinging the bat pretty good lately..

somebody could be willing to take a defensive 2B with a hot bat, possibly with one of the relievers..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He is playing 2B tonight. IDK with the A's making a push for Valbuena it could happen.

I just don't see teams wanting Barney ATM.

My opinion is Alcantara in CF. Barney at 2B and demote Lake. Let Cog have it for now.

Valbuena they have 2 more years of control and I would be hard pressed to trade it early.

Not to start the Alcantara debate again but I just wanted to say Bonifacio should return some what soon so, if and when they demote Lake I'd expect more Bonifacio there as he largely had played OF after Valbuena's good start.

Edit: to follow up it happened june 12th and it's typically a 4-6 week injury.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not to start the Alcantara debate again but I just wanted to say Bonifacio should return some what soon so, if and when they demote Lake I'd expect more Bonifacio there as he largely had played OF after Valbuena's good start.

Edit: to follow up it happened june 12th and it's typically a 4-6 week injury.

if coghlin and or ruggiano still hitting upon bonifacio return, I don't see any reason why boni should start ahead of them..

if alcantara stays up this weekend, he is definitely going to be playing every day whether its in CF or 2B and which position he sees more time at will greatly be determined by whether or not they trade barney, other wise Barney is going to get th max time at 2B especially if he continues to hit as he been lately.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cog has had the hot bat. That is why I was thinking Lake to AAA to get Cog some playing time.

There is no time table for Bonifacio's return. He is rehabbing in the Azl training facility.

On the injury front Fuji is on rehab assignment. We could see him in Aug.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
if coghlin and or ruggiano still hitting upon bonifacio return, I don't see any reason why boni should start ahead of them..

if alcantara stays up this weekend, he is definitely going to be playing every day whether its in CF or 2B and which position he sees more time at will greatly be determined by whether or not they trade barney, other wise Barney is going to get th max time at 2B especially if he continues to hit as he been lately.

My point wasn't that he would. My point was the potential of Lake being sent down that Bonifacio would likely see OF playing time given they chose to play him there with Barney at 2B a lot this year. With Bonifacio, Ruggiano, Schierholtz Sweeney and Coghlan it seems much more likely that they would play Alcantara at 2B or even conceivably 3B given Olt has been shit too. Obviously it's dependent on what they do trade wise with Schierholtz, Barney and Valbeuna but of those you'd have to imagine Valbeuna is the most likely to get traded.

Again, not trying to start that debate again. Just saying Bonifacio has played a lot more OF this year than infield(314.0 innings in OF, 162.1 at 2B and 21.0/5.1 at 3B/SS). So, if Lake gets sent down I would expect it to be when Bonifacio comes back from injury.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Last word has been rehab for Bonifacio in AZL training. No time table set.

He could be 2 weeks/a month or not play a game again.

We can not input Bonifacio into this. He is not even on a rehab assignment.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well we could... The fact there is no time table means there is a clear need for the role he played.

Cubs need a lead off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My point wasn't that he would. My point was the potential of Lake being sent down that Bonifacio would likely see OF playing time given they chose to play him there with Barney at 2B a lot this year. With Bonifacio, Ruggiano, Schierholtz Sweeney and Coghlan it seems much more likely that they would play Alcantara at 2B or even conceivably 3B given Olt has been shit too. Obviously it's dependent on what they do trade wise with Schierholtz, Barney and Valbeuna but of those you'd have to imagine Valbeuna is the most likely to get traded.

Again, not trying to start that debate again. Just saying Bonifacio has played a lot more OF this year than infield(314.0 innings in OF, 162.1 at 2B and 21.0/5.1 at 3B/SS). So, if Lake gets sent down I would expect it to be when Bonifacio comes back from injury.

I understand what your saying but I think at this point in the season and with bringing up one of the star prospect, their not going to be overly concerned with bonifacio PT.
especially since he was only on a 1 yr deal..
depending on if they plan on bringing him back next year, they may just try to put him through waivers and if claimed make a deal or just release him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs to get brief look at 'do it all' Alcantara

By Jesse Rogers | July 9, 2014 2:49:04 PM PDT
OMAHA, Neb. -- Chicago Cubs Triple-A outfielder Ryan Kalish has played or been around some good talents in his years in baseball.

Coming up with the Boston Red Sox, he saw greats such as Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz and Adrian Beltre go about their business. He also played alongside Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo when he was with the Cubs earlier this season.

Gregg Forwerck/Getty Images
Arismendy Alcantara has impressed Iowa teammate Ryan Kalish. "He's one of my favorites I've ever come across," he said.
So what does he think of teammate Arismendy Alcantara, who was called up Wednesday to make his major league debut while second baseman Darwin Barney is on paternity leave?

"He's one of my favorites I've ever come across," Kalish said Wednesday morning before the Iowa Cubs played the Omaha Storm Chasers. "He can do it all."

"Doing it all" is the phrase you hear often from people who have watched or played with Alcantara. He's the first of the position player prospects to get the call, albeit for only two days. The Cubs made it clear that he'll be coming back to Triple-A, but at least fans will get a glimpse of the future. The Cubs have started the transition everyone has been waiting for.

"He's been going in the right direction for some time now," VP of player development and amateur scouting Jason McLeod said. "He's earned a chance."

Alcantara has put up a fantasy player's dream season so far in Iowa. He's hitting .307 with 10 home runs, 41 RBIs, 25 doubles, 11 triples, 21 stolen bases and a .353 on-base percentage. Since moving to the leadoff spot 35 games ago he's been even better, batting .348 with a .401 on-base percentage. Some have compared him to Emilio Bonifacio as he can hit from both sides of the plate and play both the infield and outfield.

"I describe him as a Jose Reyes-type," Kalish said. "He's got all the tools. The power, the speed, the arm. Fans should know he has an unbelievable head on his shoulders."

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Alcantara doesn't look the part of a guy who can drive the ball, but he says since going to Triple-A he's had a better time finding the outfield gaps.

"These parks are bigger (than Double-A) and better for my game," Alcantara said before leaving for Cincinnati to join the Cubs for Wednesday's game against the Reds.

The numbers prove that out. He had 55 extra-base hits in 571 at-bats at Double-A Tennessee in 2013 and he already has 46 this season in 366 at-bats. The big parks in the majors might play to his style as well.

"He has gap power and raw speed," Kalish said. "When he has a clean double he just glides into second. When he's going for a triple, watch out. He turns it on."

Fans will only get a taste of his talent for two days until Barney returns. But that doesn't mean he can't come back to the big club someday soon. Trading season is upon us and the Cubs could move any one of the following players: Nate Schierholtz, Justin Ruggiano, Darwin Barney, Luis Valbuena and Bonifacio, if he's healthy.

That opens a spot for Alcantara, who has played 11 games in centerfield, 70 at second base and six at shortstop this season. Or the Cubs could decide to send down Junior Lake or Mike Olt if their struggles continue, or perhaps Alcantara finds his way to Wrigley Field by the time rosters expand in September.

One thing is for sure, Alcantara is going to get his chance. As for next season, if things go well he could be the Cubs Opening Day second baseman or centerfielder, or maybe somewhere else. The Cubs don't know how it's going to play out, they just know he's a talent.

"The season he's had here is insane," Kalish said. "The guy can play."

The future is finally here. At least for two days.

Tags:Chicago CubsJesse Rogers2014 Regular SeasonJason McLeodArismendy AlcantaraRyan Kalish

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand what your saying but I think at this point in the season and with bringing up one of the star prospect, their not going to be overly concerned with bonifacio PT.
especially since he was only on a 1 yr deal..
depending on if they plan on bringing him back next year, they may just try to put him through waivers and if claimed make a deal or just release him

It's not really the playing time I'm talking about though. He's on the roster and given his play he deserves to be on a MLB team if nothing more than a bench player. And given he's spent the majority of his time in the OF this year that means you have 6 guys for the OF right now that are semi-MLB with Lake, Bonifacio, Coghlan, Sweeney, Ruggiano and Schierholtz. Teams only carry 5 OFs. So, unless they move around 2 of that 6 there's not really an opening in the OF. They clearly could make one if that was their choice by either DFA'ing or trading away(if anyone would take any of them). However, other than potentially sending Lake down I'm not really seeing a path to that. Is anyone really going to trade for Bonifacio or Schierholtz? And obviously you'd like to start Coghlan and Ruggiano.