The beginning of the.....The beginning

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not a fan but hopefully he can be decent in CF. It just bugs me that a top 50 type talent is being talked about as a super-utility guy. Unless he's Ben Zobrist this seems like a horrible idea to me.

I have not heard or read anything to indicate the cubs view him as a utility guy. I think it would be a huge disappointment.

Trib column today quotes a rival scout saying "he's an everyday player for me"

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The As are still interested in acquiring Valbuena, that nay be alcantara ticket to staying up pass the 3 days..

Also it may not happen but wouldn't surprise me if alcantara gives a little jolt to offense if Lake gets sent down. .

I call dibs on driving Stumbles to the airport!

remixdjinx

Liked Posts:
0-4 2 k's....I know it doesn't mean much....but, rough start.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
0-4 2 k's....I know it doesn't mean much....but, rough start.

Would still rather watch Alcantra struggle and go through his growing pains than a guy who has nothing to do with our future.

Barney would have had the same line, with no chance of improving.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
He is playing 2B tonight. IDK with the A's making a push for Valbuena it could happen.

I just don't see teams wanting Barney ATM.

My opinion is Alcantara in CF. Barney at 2B and demote Lake. Let Cog have it for now.

Valbuena they have 2 more years of control and I would be hard pressed to trade it early.

I agree with Alcantara in CF, Barney at 2B and demote Lake. Send Lake down so he can work on things and get more playing time, maybe he can build his confidence up. Keep playing Coghlan and if he keeps playing well then they can trade him, same with Ruggiano.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well what was stated was he will be going back down.

My take on it: to build trade value players need to be show cased.

Guys that they are trying to sell:

1 of the 2 LH in the pen.
Barney
Valbuena
Schierholtz

Bonifacio would be added to this list if healthy.

Long shot: Jackson

We should see heavy playing time with Barney, Schierholtz and Valbuena.

LF and CF should be status que in platoons.

Now whom ever doesn't get traded I'll bet goes on wavers. (Except Valbuena)

I'm expecting in Aug Baez at 2B and Alcantara in CF.

Where would Alcantara like to play?

"Everywhere -- short, second base, outfield, everywhere," he said. "I just want to see my name in the lineup."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Alcantara was 0-4, but did not look our of place in the game.

He looked calm at 2nd, made a real nice play where he had to hustle a throw but didn't look panicked -as opposed to Mike Olt. Showed patience at the plate and wasn't wildly swinging or totally overwhelmed. Now, I would say it wasn't against a great pitcher, but that pitcher stymied everybody else not named Rizzo.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Would still rather watch Alcantra struggle and go through his growing pains than a guy who has nothing to do with our future.

Barney would have had the same line, with no chance of improving.

Barney is batting .387 for July. He bumped his batting average up 20 points for the season.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Barney is batting .387 for July. He bumped his batting average up 20 points for the season.

Over 34 plate appearances in which his BABIP is .444. While it's clearly a positive, let's not get crazy here. If his BABIP were roughly league average of .300 you're still talking about a .250 hitter. Additionally, his BABIP this season hasn't been even that good at .255 or for his career at .269. If someone wants to buy this "hot streak" and give you anything even remotely resembling value, you trade him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have not heard or read anything to indicate the cubs view him as a utility guy. I think it would be a huge disappointment.

Trib column today quotes a rival scout saying "he's an everyday player for me"

I've stated that his ceiling is a guy that gets full time playing time, but there much be a reason the FO is grooming him to have positional availability as opposed to the other top prospects. Just because he might not get locked into one spot on the diamond doesn't mean he isn't going to be an everyday part of the lineup.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you guys are talking about... I saw the kid make several fantastic defensive plays at 2nd yesterday, and today, the kid is 2-3 w/ 3 rbi's and he just scored the tying run. He looks quick on the bases as well.

This kid looks fine to me defensively at 2nd. He looks like a legit leadoff guy to me as well. This is a sign to come, imo, the Cubs are gonna sport a pretty fuckin good infield here real soon.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you guys are talking about... I saw the kid make several fantastic defensive plays at 2nd yesterday, and today, the kid is 2-3 w/ 3 rbi's and he just scored the tying run. He looks quick on the bases as well.

This kid looks fine to me defensively at 2nd. He looks like a legit leadoff guy to me as well. This is a sign to come, imo, the Cubs are gonna sport a pretty fuckin good infield here real soon.
That is just it. If everyone maxes out their potential then Alcantara might get squeezed. Doubt everyone does that, but the FO must be holding out that possibility by rotating Alcantara as much as they are (increasing it in fact since the trade for Russell).

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Being get to locked in on positions. He could play everyday and see time all over the diamond and OF. Its not a bad thing. I dont get why people act like versatility is a bad thing.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Being get to locked in on positions. He could play everyday and see time all over the diamond and OF. Its not a bad thing. I dont get why people act like versatility is a bad thing.

This :clap:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Iowa beat writer:
@LenKasper Impressed by Alcantara at second, yet? Dude looks like a natural in center, too. Will fit in nicely wherever they want him.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
That is just it. If everyone maxes out their potential then Alcantara might get squeezed. Doubt everyone does that, but the FO must be holding out that possibility by rotating Alcantara as much as they are (increasing it in fact since the trade for Russell).

I understand, the domino's will fall into place ..... my point is this kid has great range at 2base. I didn't realize that myself. But when I see him fielding balls on the other side of 2base easily, I get impressed.

And if these other young kids are better defensively, then whoa is all I say. After watching this kid play 2base, I'm not sure I'd like to see him moved to the OF.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand, the domino's will fall into place ..... my point is this kid has great range at 2base. I didn't realize that myself. But when I see him fielding balls on the other side of 2base easily, I get impressed.

And if these other young kids are better defensively, then whoa is all I say. After watching this kid play 2base, I'm not sure I'd like to see him moved to the OF.

Russell is def. a better defender. I have never seen Baez play second.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I don't think anyone says that versatility is bad. But it's also nice to have the pieces in the right positions. I haven't seen the kid play C yet, but he sure looks good at 2b to me so far.

I also think his natural position is 2b. I like him for a leadoff spot as well. I'd rather have my leadoff guy playing his natural position defensively.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone says that versatility is bad. But it's also nice to have the pieces in the right positions. I haven't seen the kid play C yet, but he sure looks good at 2b to me so far.

Its 2 games. He has his issues but he was never a horrible defender. The Cubs have a much better feel for what they want to do. Yet again, if the bat plays, the rest will take care of itself.