Toews and Kane Ink 8-year Deals

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Looks like $10.5 million AAV per player.

Pretty good, IMO. Thought anything under 10 would've been a bargain, especially by the end of their contracts. May seem a tad high now but with the cap continuing to go up, I don't think it'll be too big of a problem in the future.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Good to see them locked up for the next 9 years. Would have been nice to see it below 10 as you said. Hopefully the cap actually increases as projected, unlike this year

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
started at 12mil per year and signed two of the best players in the league for 10.5mil so Im happy. We werent going to and shouldnt have let them walk even if they stuck to wanting 12mil

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
$10.5 is probably fair and needed to be done, but even with the cap going up...these deals will certainly create some problems. Blackhawks are currently over the cap by $2.2mil this year and when these deals kick in the year after, Toews/Kane are going to add $8.4mil to the total (both received a raise of approximately 4.2mil). The salary cap isn't going up by $8.4mil...atleast I would be extremely surprised if it did.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
nice

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Good to see them locked up for the next 9 years. Would have been nice to see it below 10 as you said. Hopefully the cap actually increases as projected, unlike this year

There's a HUGE deal involving the Canadian TV companies which doesn't kick in for next year. That's going to boost NHL revenue in a big way and, in turn, boost up the salary cap as well.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The cap has to go up substantially for the Hawks to remain competitive going forward. I just don't see that happening. After this season, the Hawks will need to retool for 3-4 years to get back to the top of the mountain, IMO.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm too lazy to go find the post but I predicted this about a month ago or so. It wasn't hard to see this because of the way these two are grounded. They are both smart enough to know that money doesn't buy happiness (or Stanley Cups), winning does that. So by not going overboard on their demands, they are leaving enough in the pot for management to keep this thing going for awhile. Besides, the two of them can make as much as they feel like making in endorsements. Two smart and talented young guys....just so happy they're in Chicago and will be for a long time.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;RGpgkCE41x8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGpgkCE41x8&feature=kp[/video]

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
:yeah:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The cap has to go up substantially for the Hawks to remain competitive going forward. I just don't see that happening. After this season, the Hawks will need to retool for 3-4 years to get back to the top of the mountain, IMO.

If the Blackhawks can continue to get production of players they draft and other young/cheap options, they'll be just fine going forward.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
$10.5 is probably fair and needed to be done, but even with the cap going up...these deals will certainly create some problems. Blackhawks are currently over the cap by $2.2mil this year and when these deals kick in the year after, Toews/Kane are going to add $8.4mil to the total (both received a raise of approximately 4.2mil). The salary cap isn't going up by $8.4mil...atleast I would be extremely surprised if it did.

It's not a problem. It's business and something that all teams in leagues with salary caps have to deal with. Older, higher priced players have to be moved while young, lower priced kids step in to play. The value of a strong minor league system is always high in Cap leagues. Fortunately, the Hawks have drafted well bu it will hurt when the guys we have watched for years....the Sharps, Versteegs, Oduyas etc, get moved. It's just the price of doing business....of keeping the conveyer belt moving. There is one contract that might cause some problems though....my God, Hossa still has like 7 years left on his contract for just under 6 mil per.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
It's not a problem. It's business and something that all teams in leagues with salary caps have to deal with. Older, higher priced players have to be moved while young, lower priced kids step in to play. The value of a strong minor league system is always high in Cap leagues. Fortunately, the Hawks have drafted well bu it will hurt when the guys we have watched for years....the Sharps, Versteegs, Oduyas etc, get moved. It's just the price of doing business....of keeping the conveyer belt moving. There is one contract that might cause some problems though....my God, Hossa still has like 7 years left on his contract for just under 6 mil per.

It is a problem because the depth is going to take a hit. Everyone saw the depth take a hit after the first Stanley Cup purge and how did that go? Blackhawks lost in the playoffs last year, in my opinion, because of their lack of depth and inability to roll 4 lines.

It had to be done, Kane/Toews could have gotten more on the open market, but it will create some cap problems and there will be players, and possibly very good ones (lets not forget that Sharp lead the team in goals last year) on the way out.

I'm happy to see these two signed for another 8 years on top of their current contract but there could be a few issues starting next offseason. I'm not too worried about it but to overlook that possibility wouldn't be too smart.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad to have those two locked up.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ya know what deal is fucking amazing, when you compare it to these two?

Two-time Norris winner Duncan Keith is locked in to a $5.53 million AAV until 2023.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I'm not shaving ever again, b/c that Cup is only in LA temporarily.

Go Hawks!.