Landmarks commission approves Cubs' Wrigley renovation plan

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@CSNChicago: Commission on Chicago Landmarks approves #Cubs' Wrigley Field renovation plan: bit.ly/1qOXmLc #CubsTalk

Let the renovation begin...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I said this in another thread - I was thinking it was a dumb idea to sink this much $ into a park this old.

But they are literally thinking outside the box by moving the home clubhouse outside of the park itself, underground. And that, alone, opens up a lot of additional room. Seems very smart to me.

But, somewhat typical of the Cubs, their website dedicated to the renovation does not have the updated plan. But the Trib sports page has a link to the slide show. It is interesting, even with the errors. One eror, apparently by the Trib, refers to RF as LF. No biggie.

The other, in the slide of the 3rd base club, is on the artist or the Cubs. They refer to baseball in the park in 1908.

Yes, I am nitpicking. Just having a little fun with them.

I am actually impressed, and I have been a critic of the idea.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Very excited about this. I think it is important to stay at Wrigley, but to keep competitive they needed to get modern amenities and that's exactly what is happening. Going to be a much better experience for the fans and players IMO

DaaaBearsFan

Liked Posts:
^Love the Shawn Spencer avatar.

As a die hard Cubs fan, I've been a fan of the Wrigley renovations since day 1 when they released the first batch of concept art a few years ago. I can see that they do care about keeping the Wrigley charm while also upgrading the park for the players and the comfort level for the fans. I'm especially happy they aren't transforming it into some modern baseball stadium. This is still a ballpark and they're actually enhancing the classic feel but with modern amenities. It's a win for the fans (more comfortable and better amenities), players (they'll actually have room to change without elbowing the guy next to them), and the front office (more profit).

I know some fans, mainly older generations, who are opposed to this. I will say this, I understand that they're afraid to see Wrigley transformed even if it's for the better, but here's one way I look at it. Would you rather see Wrigley in its current state keep on falling apart or have it renovated with new life so Cubs fans from younger generations and even fans who aren't born yet can enjoy Wrigley for decades to come? This is a good thing for everyone (except maybe the rooftop owners), but the renovations need to take place first before everyone realizes that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
^Love the Shawn Spencer avatar.

As a die hard Cubs fan, I've been a fan of the Wrigley renovations since day 1 when they released the first batch of concept art a few years ago. I can see that they do care about keeping the Wrigley charm while also upgrading the park for the players and the comfort level for the fans. I'm especially happy they aren't transforming it into some modern baseball stadium. This is still a ballpark and they're actually enhancing the classic feel but with modern amenities. It's a win for the fans (more comfortable and better amenities), players (they'll actually have room to change without elbowing the guy next to them), and the front office (more profit).

I know some fans, mainly older generations, who are opposed to this. I will say this, I understand that they're afraid to see Wrigley transformed even if it's for the better, but here's one way I look at it. Would you rather see Wrigley in its current state keep on falling apart or have it renovated with new life so Cubs fans from younger generations and even fans who aren't born yet can enjoy Wrigley for decades to come? This is a good thing for everyone (except maybe the rooftop owners), but the renovations need to take place first before everyone realizes that.
Believe me, most older generation don't mind the upgrades
Its been well over due

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Older generations must like the smell of old piss.

DaaaBearsFan

Liked Posts:
Believe me, most older generation don't mind the upgrades
Its been well over due

I know some from older generations would welcome it, but there's a lot that I've seen who are very worried about the Wrigley renovations just from responses online and people I've talked with.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would you say that
Have you never been to these old baseball fields and football fields that are in serious need of upgrading? The first thing that comes to mind is the strong, foul smell of the restroom areas.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I know some from older generations would welcome it, but there's a lot that I've seen who are very worried about the Wrigley renovations just from responses online and people I've talked with.
Yea im sure some are worried about the ivys, scoreboard and the atmosphere... what they might fail to realize that the upgrades that needed the most are in places fans dont see, like the clubhouses, players facilities, etc.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have you never been to these old baseball fields and football fields that are in serious need of upgrading? The first thing that comes to mind is the strong, foul smell of the restroom areas.
Ok.. so I said most older generation wouldn't mind the upgrade
So, why would you say they must like the smell of piss

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ok.. so I said most older generation wouldn't mind the upgrade
So, why would you say they must like the smell of piss
I didn't quote your post. It's in relation to the poster who believes the older generation is against the updates. I know of no one who likes their sports venues to become dilapidated.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I didn't quote your post. It's in relation to the poster who believes the older generation is against the updates. I know of no one who likes their sports venues to become dilapidated.
Gotcha, thought you were responding to me...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So will the renovations have to start after the season or is there some that can begin right away like signage?

DaaaBearsFan

Liked Posts:

I don't think you're understanding what I mean. I'm not saying they want Wrigley to be a pile of crap, even though that's what it will be without these renovations, but they are concerned about these renovations taking place and that Wrigley will be transformed into some modern stadium. Believe me, there are plenty of people on social media or other websites who have commented on this project who are opposed to the renovations or are very concerned about them. I'm just saying most of the people who aren't for this project are older and are afraid to see Wrigley change.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They are in a tiny, tiny minority. So tiny, any issues they have shouldn't even be bothered addressing. Old timer baseball was over the first date Wrigley Field hosted a night game.