OT: Tanaka

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Yankees GM Brian Cashman: RHP Masahiro Tanaka has partially torn ligament in throwing arm, tear is considered small.

he saw 3 different Doctors, none recommended surgery. He will do 6 weeks of therapy and if that dont help, TJ surgery may be required.

As much as I wanted him , makes me glad now we didn't. ..

Pitchers are going down like flys this year...

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Yikes.

Think he threw a lot of curveballs as a kid too?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
This is why I am so happy the Cubs are focusing primarily on offense. Unfortunate injury especially considering I was actually cheering for the Yankees this year on Jeter's final ride

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yankees are catching no breaks this year

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was always a concern. I wanted the Cubs to sign him but if you go I said multiple times I worry about his arm. They made him throw 160 plus pitches in one game and turn around throw 15 more the next game in relief. That screams misuse. Its also why I find the Dust Baker ruining pitchers arm thing funny. Kerry Wood the day after he got drafted threw over a 190 pitches. An 18 year old kid with a 100 MPH fastball threw a 190 pitches in a double header. Its why I have such a problem with coaches that want to be playground warriors. Your ego ruined a extremely promising career. I mean Kerry Wood probably threw the best game in history. I know it was a perfect game but it was an IF single that probably should have been an out. K Wood talent was through the roof. Speaking of my rant hear is his K Wood at his finest. Fuck, I absolutely teared up when they played "I did it my way".

[video=youtube;RB3mcrWY6GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3mcrWY6GM[/video]

I miss that animal!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still he is 25. Even if he is out until 2016 he would be 27 still. TJ tend to come back stronger.

Now if was a rotator cuff then ya sucks to be the yanks.

Anyways The Yanks should be going through a turn over next year. Sab is on the 60 day and who knows if he will be the same guy ever.
Karoda what is he 60 now?

Rest are DL cases

A-Roid drama back...

Glad I'm not a fan of that team.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Nothing like overpaying a guy $170 mil, and then overusing a guy until he's hurt......

TL1961

Liked Posts:
MLB network was discussing Tanaka's injury, and they showed the number of splitter he has thrown. Way more than anyone else. 2nd was Kuroda. Long way to #3.

They also discussed that the Japanese pitchers throw all pitches at early age, thus the wear and tear.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
That was always a concern. I wanted the Cubs to sign him but if you go I said multiple times I worry about his arm. They made him throw 160 plus pitches in one game and turn around throw 15 more the next game in relief. That screams misuse. Its also why I find the Dust Baker ruining pitchers arm thing funny. Kerry Wood the day after he got drafted threw over a 190 pitches. An 18 year old kid with a 100 MPH fastball threw a 190 pitches in a double header. Its why I have such a problem with coaches that want to be playground warriors. Your ego ruined a extremely promising career. I mean Kerry Wood probably threw the best game in history. I know it was a perfect game but it was an IF single that probably should have been an out. K Wood talent was through the roof. Speaking of my rant hear is his K Wood at his finest. Fuck, I absolutely teared up when they played "I did it my way".

[video=youtube;RB3mcrWY6GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3mcrWY6GM[/video]

I miss that animal!

It's endlessly depressing thinking about him and Prior. Ugh.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's endlessly depressing thinking about him and Prior. Ugh.

Its why I respect Hendry. He had his faults but the guy was working with shitty ownership and had a stacked team. He was apart of drafting everyone when the Cubs had one of the top farms in early 2000's. He though he had two TOR starters with cornerstone CF. He also made probably top 3 best trades in Cubs history fleecing Aramis Ramirez. Add in how highly touted Hee Sop Choi and Juan Cruz were. I didnt even mention a young Zambrano that had tons of talent. The '04 Cubs team was probably the most talented I ever saw and it all went to shit within 2 years.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Please stop with the "Glad we didn't sign him stuff". He is still a talent that is far superior than we have or had. Strasbutg, Wainright, Carpenter, etc... al had arm issues at one point.

If you can pitch, you can pitch, and obviously he can. I would LOVE to have him on the Cubs for 7 years going forward despite the ligament damage, and I think the FO would agree

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The hilarious bit is if he's out until probably mid 2016 at the earliest, I believe his opt out is in 2017. So, it's entirely possible they got 1/2 year out of him this year, he'll miss maybe 1.5 years rehabbing, will pitch one year for them and then opt out. Would be quite the disappointment for that $20 mil posting fee the yanks paid.

Edit: sorry that timeline is for if he ends up having TJ surgery. Apparently he's not having it....*yet*

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Please stop with the "Glad we didn't sign him stuff". He is still a talent that is far superior than we have or had. Strasbutg, Wainright, Carpenter, etc... al had arm issues at one point.

If you can pitch, you can pitch, and obviously he can. I would LOVE to have him on the Cubs for 7 years going forward despite the ligament damage, and I think the FO would agree
Exactly, but since he didn't sign a 7 year contract, the math doesn't add up. You (we) would like to see the Cubs FO win on a pitcher like this. At the same time, with the arm issue, people who really craved for him should be able to admit that perhaps the Cubs avoided spending bad money.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yikes.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Exactly, but since he didn't sign a 7 year contract, the math doesn't add up. You (we) would like to see the Cubs FO win on a pitcher like this. At the same time, with the arm issue, people who really craved for him should be able to admit that perhaps the Cubs avoided spending bad money.

Baker, Fujikawa, E-Jax....I'd still take Tanaka in a New York minute. He's done more in 3 months than these clowns did in two years. :sweep:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
150 million wasted would have crippled the Cubs.

Maybe Theo/Jed are on to something stock piling bats.

Arms have become more volatile and less reliable and you need to have less invested in them to survive. The Yankees have 45 million on the DL (Tanaka and CC) in arms.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
150 million wasted would have crippled the Cubs.

Maybe Theo/Jed are on to something stock piling bats.

Arms have become more volatile and less reliable and you need to have less invested in them to survive. The Yankees have 45 million on the DL (Tanaka and CC) in arms.

First off, 150 million would not have crippled the Cubs. The exposure internationally and nationally has already reaped major benefits.

Second, there are a lot of pitchers that have gone through surgery including the Carpenters and Wainrights of the world, and no team comes to mind that any contract like that would cripple the team. If you sign a guy like that for that much money, you have it whether he holds his end of the bargain up or not.

BTW, get used to those figures because if the Cubs are going to ever get a top notch pitcher via free agency, they will have to pay at least those kind of numbers.

Hell, Shark wanted Bailey figures and Shark is considered by most, even around here, as a #2 at best.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baily is paid as a 2. Aces go for more. Shark's asking price is his market value. Ricketts don't want to pay market value.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baily is paid as a 2. Aces go for more. Shark's asking price is his market value. Ricketts don't want to pay market value.

Enough with the Ricketts don't want to pay. It clearly wasn't his decision and the Cubs clearly have enough money to pay him that. They don't think he's worth it. Plain and simple.