Gasol to the Bulls in a sign and trade

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
Why couldn't the Bulls wait for Melo? Wth man. Just one more day. I don't care if we would have lost out on Gasol in the process

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Why couldn't the Bulls wait for Melo? Wth man. Just one more day. I don't care if we would have lost out on Gasol in the process

There is obviously a reason...Either a trade or Melo told the Bulls he was signing with the Knicks.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just accept it.... Melo is taking the cash. Just like most people would.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's gotta be going to the Knicks because GarPax are simply not that smart or creative as GMs. So basically the Bulls are dumping one aging PF for another one.

:enough:

GTRPLAYA2

Liked Posts:
I think if Melo was just wanting the cash, he coulda taken it once the Knicks said they would give him the Max. Personally, I think Melo is waiting for the Bulls to put together some kind of package to get him because the Knicks offer isn't going anywhere. He's giving the Bulls every opportunity to get him except playing for free. The Bulls are trying to unload Boozer without amnestying him because Jerry doesn't want to just pay him to leave AND he can get a little more cap cash for S&T. Hopefully Gasol is a piece to sweeten the pot for the Knicks to play ball.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really wonder how Gasol, Gibson and Mirotic will all fit together?

It seems we have a need on the wing, but are adding another PF.

Liked Posts:

There's likely a reason that this is happening now. And, as others have said, it likely involves Carmelo in some way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There's likely a reason that this is happening now. And, as others have said, it likely involves Carmelo in some way.

I wonder if they get Gasol on the cheap and they trade Gibson does that create 1-2 million more for Anthony?

Gasol turned down a 10 million a year deal in LA, but perhaps to not play for a terrible team he is taking less money.

Liked Posts:
I wonder if they get Gasol on the cheap and they trade Gibson does that create 1-2 million more for Anthony?

Gasol turned down a 10 million a year deal in LA, but perhaps to not play for a terrible team he is taking less money.

Either the Bulls were turned down by Anthony, prompting the Bulls to go after Gasol and Wade, or all of this is somehow working towards getting Carmelo. But if all of the Wade and Gasol interest was prompted by Anthony telling the Bulls no, that would mean that it went all this time without being leaked. Add to that the fact that Gasol would be the 4th PF if Gibson or Boozer wasn't involved.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If he's willing to play for the Spurs, he's def open for >10M. But then again, that's the best team in the league.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@StevePopper: Expect Carmelo news soon - but what direction? We're all guessing - expect NY. But Chicago live til they are not - even w/Gasol signing.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Either the Bulls were turned down by Anthony, prompting the Bulls to go after Gasol and Wade, or all of this is somehow working towards getting Carmelo. But if all of the Wade and Gasol interest was prompted by Anthony telling the Bulls no, that would mean that it went all this time without being leaked. Add to that the fact that Gasol would be the 4th PF if Gibson or Boozer wasn't involved.

Weren't the reports out of NY that Anthony was pushing Phil to trade Amare or Barngs to free up space for Gasol? This on top of Anthony saying he would like to play with him tells me he would rather play with Gasol more than Taj. If this is the case and trading for Gasol the big key would be how much does he take. If he takes more than the Gibson contract, he was plan B. If he takes less, this was a move to make more space for Melo. We won't know till the details come out.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would a three team trade make sense?

Lakers get: Boozer
Knicks get: Gasol & Dunleavy
Bulls get: Anthony

Would that work? :shrug:

Liked Posts:
Weren't the reports out of NY that Anthony was pushing Phil to trade Amare or Barngs to free up space for Gasol? This on top of Anthony saying he would like to play with him tells me he would rather play with Gasol more than Taj. If this is the case and trading for Gasol the big key would be how much does he take. If he takes more than the Gibson contract, he was plan B. If he takes less, this was a move to make more space for Melo. We won't know till the details come out.

Exactly. We'll find out soon enough. The Gasol thing could mean Boozer going to LAL. It could mean Taj to LA and amnestying Boozer. It could mean Gasol going back to NYK. Whatever's happening could be the Bulls trying to make enough room to not rely on NYK for a sign and trade or it could be about clearing enough cap room with a sign and trade with NYK.

There are a lot of permutations at this point without being privy.

Liked Posts:
Would a three team trade make sense?

Lakers get: Boozer
Knicks get: Gasol & Dunleavy
Bulls get: Anthony

Would that work? :shrug:

It depends on what the teams are willing to accept. The Knicks might not be willing to take anything back. In this case, LA could be getting Taj and Dunleavy while Boozer is getting amnestied.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Exactly. We'll find out soon enough. The Gasol thing could mean Boozer going to LAL. It could mean Taj to LA and amnestying Boozer. It could mean Gasol going back to NYK. Whatever's happening could be the Bulls trying to make enough room to not rely on NYK for a sign and trade or it could be about clearing enough cap room with a sign and trade with NYK.

There are a lot of permutations at this point without being privy.

Gasol is a great leverage tool for the Bulls. He would've been a Knick had Melo stayed and we sat on our hands. Plus Mirotic will grow faster playing with Gasol. But i don't see the Bulls keeping both Mirotic and Taj with Gasol/Noah. This could be setting up for a Love trade as well :dunno: All I know is Phil is probably pissed, which makes me smile.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gasol is a great leverage tool for the Bulls. He would've been a Knick had Melo stayed and we sat on our hands. Plus Mirotic will grow faster playing with Gasol. But i don't see the Bulls keeping both Mirotic and Taj with Gasol/Noah. This could be setting up for a Love trade as well :dunno: All I know is Phil is probably pissed, which makes me smile.

I agree, us getting Gasol gives us leverage. We may use him to trade for Melo because that might be the only thing the Knicks are willing to trade for, or we are just trying to tick the Knicks off. Either way this can work out for us.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
@EricPincus
The Bulls need to have an agreement with a FA before they do anything to open up cap room or fashion a S&T
@EricPincus
Something else to note - Kobe is very fond of Boozer - and they share the same agent - it would likely please Kobe if LA brought in a vet PF
@EricPincus
The Bulls can't pay Pau more than MLE without a S&T or Boozer amnesty - and also paying Mirotic an issue that

Ok GarPax are pushing all their chips in....

:kermit:

Fairy tales like Pincus is selling are my favorite part of all this. Kobe isn't as fond of Boozer as their mutual agent is. If Kobe and Melo have developed this great friendship how are the Lakers out already? Lebron and Bosh are such good friends that they both took the max on different teams and left Wade hanging. The next thing is Lebron has always liked Kevin Love's game.

To me I don't see why Phil Jackson would want Gasol unless he can trade at least one of the 5 bigs he already has. I don't think living in NYC to be close to the UN is such a big consideration for Gasol so I don't see where the Knicks getting him as part of the S&T to get Anthony more money makes any connection.

More and more I think Anthony is coming to the Bulls because the money is what it is and if he wants the extra $50 million going back to NY is the only option, he would have taken it by now. At this point I think he's waiting until the last minute for the Bulls to be able to trade Boozer so they can get the cap space to also sign Gasol. I'm not sure what this new notion of Anthony signing for 2 years does to change things, unless Reinsdorf would go over the tax line for a year or two to get all the pieces. And with all the crazy rules in the CBA it could be possible.

Several teams have trade exemptions that expire soon, I wonder if they couldn't be part of the third or fourth team considerations, swing them around to the Knicks so they get a pick from the Bulls but take on no players, the Bulls ship Boozer and Dunleavy to LAL so they get something in return for Gasol.

From the Bulls perspective getting Anthony makes Dunleavy almost expendable, he could be the backup 2 guard but maybe Snell or a minimum guy could do that. They don't really need a first round pick next year because it figures to be 25 or higher and they already have McDermott, Bairstow and Mirotic to develop. I'm leaning towards believing there are some more complicated deals ready to get made and they do go all in.

czman

Liked Posts:
We don't know what the Bulls are sending out. IF the Bulls are sending out Randolph and ~4 million in non-guranteed contracts Melo might still be in play. If this is a sign and trade with Boozer, the Bulls are probably out of the running for Melo. The truth is Melo never publicly said he wanted to come to the Bulls. How long are they suppose to wait. I read that the Bulls had a call last night it it made them feel like they are out of the running.

My guess is Melo is so incredibly stupid he set up an impossible scenario in his head and when that did not come true he just threw his arms and decided to jump for the money.