A big need that still hasn't sufficiently been filled

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Augustine's defense is better than Roses as well. He is ideal.

I don't agree. D.J. isn't shutting anybody down. I've seen Rose shut down each of the elite PG's during his MVP season.

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't agree. D.J. isn't shutting anybody down. I've seen Rose shut down each of the elite PG's during his NBA season.

Under Vinny, sure.

Under Thibs who plays a completely different style of defense, then no, DJ has proven to be better. Plus DJ would give prime Rose(wow, can't believe I need to describe Rose that way, but I hope you get the point) bigger fits than any PG in the NBA.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Under Vinny, sure.

Under Thibs who plays a completely different style of defense, then no, DJ has proven to be better. Plus DJ would give prime Rose(wow, can't believe I need to describe Rose that way, but I hope you get the point) bigger fits than any PG in the NBA.

Edit: *during Rose's *MVP season. (Not NBA).

I'm not saying D.J. is Nate Robinson, but he still isn't anything other than an ordinary defender at point guard. Rose's main issues defensively was that he would try to do too much at times by over helping. And sometimes he would not rotate as he should. But when he locked into a guy, he gave them fits. Rose had/has the athleticism to alter shots (and not bad length either).

Cerebral

Liked Posts:

I'm not saying D.J. is Nate Robinson, but he still isn't anything other than an ordinary defender at point guard. Rose's main issues defensively was that he would try to do too much at times by over helping. And sometimes he would not rotate as he should. But when he locked into a guy, he gave them fits. Rose had/has the athleticism to alter shots (and not bad length either).

Not to mention Rose's best defensive ability is his offense. When other guards are using energy to defend Rose it tires them out somewhat.

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:
DJ got destroyed by John Wall. Healthy Derrick Rose embarrassed John Wall.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

And I'm not saying Rose is a bad defender. I am saying DJ is a better overall defender under Thibs. DJ is always in position. Rose relied on his speed to correct his mistakes, instead of reading the play right in the first place.

Also:
How much are you factoring in that MVP Rose and the Rose we'll see may be worlds apart?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I'm not saying Rose is a bad defender. I am saying DJ is a better overall defender under Thibs. DJ is always in position. Rose relied on his speed to correct his mistakes, instead of reading the play right in the first place.

Also:
How much are you factoring in that MVP Rose and the Rose we'll see may be worlds apart?

Yeah, I understood your initial point. I personally don't agree with the wording because I believe Rose is a better defensive asset and overall defensive player than D.J. Making less mistakes and going along with the system on plays more often of the time isn't enough for me to call him, in whatever words, 'better' than D-Rose defensively. The fact that Rose can use his speed to make up for sagging off his man is a big advantage.

In regard to what D-Rose we'll see: I think it is more likely than not that D-Rose will be much closer to superstar level than scrub/bum level. He has had time to heal and prevent nagging injuries that could've been career long. It's time to have a little faith it has paid off.

Boochee Man

Liked Posts:

Also:

Rose's MVP season was under Thibs, not Del Negro.

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
I actually think the Bulls are fine on shooting and will move Dunleavy if McD looks okish during the summer league.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Shooting.

We've been one of the worst shooting teams over the last few years, and not much has been done to fix it.

Yeah, we drafted Doug McDermott. But who knows how much playing time he's gonna get or if he's even gonna be any good.

Snell wasn't that great from 3 last season, and he probably won't play much this upcoming season.

Dunleavy is decent from 3, but not big enough of a threat to take a lot of attention away from other guys.

Who else?

Almost every championship team has a few guys that can consistently hit the 3. Without guys that can shoot, an offense is much easier to contain or shut down. Idk why this area always seems to be ignored by the Bulls.

I won't mention all the other reasons people are pointing out ...like Snell looking great from 3 last night, he was a great shooter in College. However, I think you are underestimating Gasol and his effect he'll have.

I really am having a hard time remembering the last big the Bulls had that could legitimately attack the rim on offense??? The Bulls will have much more space from this alone. Teams have been able to play good perimeter defense against the Bulls, cuz they didn't have anyone that was a threat to post up.

Gasol not only gives us that, but he's one of the best passing bigs in the NBA, along with another...Noah. Gasol will improve the Bulls offense in many ways. First, he can score in the post! This spreads the floor for the Bulls on the perimeter, allowing our shooters better shots.

Also, Noah no longer has to defend bigs that give him trouble. Stick Gasol on them and let Noah beast.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Augustine's defense is better than Roses as well. He is ideal.

pGChc.gif

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't agree. D.J. isn't shutting anybody down. I've seen Rose shut down each of the elite PG's during his MVP season.

DJ hustles but gets manhandled by the bigger guards.