OT: He Took His Talents to South Beach

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
"and at the end of the day, while it’s $10 million, there’s no state income tax. So maybe you gain about a million dollars in that. "
This is what Dengs agent said to Dime magazine. Again, how is this equal ground for every team?

I know, right. Illinois should drop the state income tax.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
lol

Seriously though, NBA should do something about this.

They can't. It's all part of risk:reward. You're close to the area, so you know the argument for the lack of state income tax. It's an incentive to bring money into the state, because IIRC, the perception for a long time, was the cost of living was too high due to the tropical storm and hurricane damage. Therefore, when Deng buys his house, he might be thinking "Oh great, no income taxes" but he's making up for it elsewhere, like insuring his new mansion. IL is a bad example, because IL is simply punishing and doesn't bring in enough capital from outside, unless legislators give special exceptions/custom written loopholes.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ehhhh. I can see what youre saying but still kind of seems like shit to me. What you do after you sign a contract is one thing but just looking at the #s, straight up after taxs...I feel like all teams should have the same return.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Ehhhh. I can see what youre saying but still kind of seems like shit to me. What you do after you sign a contract is one thing but just looking at the #s, straight up after taxs...I feel like all teams should have the same return.

Well how about some perspective. New York has the highest cost of living, and also has high taxes. Players still go there, good players(although it has been somewhat career suicide in the Dolan era).

Every place has to have some form of incentive. They go to New York for the New York lifestyle, they come to LA for the LA lifestyle, etc. It balances out somehow, and this may be a good indicator that the Chicago lifestyle isn't all that appealing of late(at least in comparison). So Chicago, IL, has to step it up, if we want to bring capital and talent. How exactly? No idea, it's not one thing, but a number of things IMO.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We've got Jeremy Piven and Patrick Kane. What the fuck else could a city need?

Looking at Miami, i dont see anything that other sunny cities cant offer. Women, beaches, sunshine, shopping. You can get that elsewhere.

But since LeBron went to Miami, theres been this league-wide thinking that Miami is the place for big time FAs to go. I really dont see that as the case moving forward. "The great Pat Riley" is probably done in a couple years. Wade as well. No big FAs are gonna come to a team with an aging Chris Bosh on a max contract and think theyre going to win titles. LeBron came to play with Wade who was a top 3 player. Miami doesnt have that anymore. Maybe its the hater in my but i really think after a 2-3 years, Miami is in for basketball hell.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
What I'm waiting for is the Bulls to amnesty Boozer then he signs with Miami. The Heat who consistently beat the Bulls with Deng and Boozer, lose Lebron and replace him with two of the Bulls he beat up on. Way to go Pat.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We've got Jeremy Piven and Patrick Kane. What the fuck else could a city need?

Looking at Miami, i dont see anything that other sunny cities cant offer. Women, beaches, sunshine, shopping. You can get that elsewhere.

But since LeBron went to Miami, theres been this league-wide thinking that Miami is the place for big time FAs to go. I really dont see that as the case moving forward. "The great Pat Riley" is probably done in a couple years. Wade as well. No big FAs are gonna come to a team with an aging Chris Bosh on a max contract and think theyre going to win titles. LeBron came to play with Wade who was a top 3 player. Miami doesnt have that anymore. Maybe its the hater in my but i really think after a 2-3 years, Miami is in for basketball hell.

Since inception, Miami has been fairly decent at collecting talent though...Since inception in 1988 they've only missed the playoffs 8 times, the last time being when they tanked for Derrick Rose. They've found good players in the draft such as Glen Rice, Steve Smith, Wade... have traded/signed players like Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, Shaq to create contending teams. So it'll be interesting to see what occurs. I think they have maybe set themselves up for failure though by giving Bosh and Wade such large contracts and banking on being a 4-5 seed for the foreseen future.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, theyve had talented players and have seen success. Im just saying everyone acts like South Beach is the place to be based off of some long history of FAs wanting to be play for the Heat. Do trades really count? IDK.

and i think them tanking that year is questionable. When Wade got hurt, they didnt have a whole lot to play with.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, theyve had talented players and have seen success. Im just saying everyone acts like South Beach is the place to be based off of some long history of FAs wanting to be play for the Heat. Do trades really count? IDK.

and i think them tanking that year is questionable. When Wade got hurt, they didnt have a whole lot to play with.
Imo trades don't count unless they were of the Lebron S&T type. But people usually don't consider those trades even though they technically are.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Imo trades don't count unless they were of the Lebron S&T type. But people usually don't consider those trades even though they technically are.
No, trades don't count. But its still a good move by FO to make them for good players that fit key pieces.. I know they traded away Glen Rice for Alonzo Mourning and acquired Tim Hardaway for basically Bimbo Coles. Shaq had list of destinations for his trade. Miami was one of them.