I can blame

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why just on vacations? :D

Shoot, none of us(that are active in this topic) live in bumfuck nowhere. Loads of local places still exist. Just not as many as some of us would like.
I go to local places here too... Just not as easy and as I often go out with groups, I can't please everyone. Some people are stuck in that mentality of we have to go to a place that everyone knows. My girlfriend and I have mostly gone to independent operations since we started dating.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, don't you start with that now.

We all know chickens don't have fingers, and buffaloes don't have wings.

Jessica_Simpson_Ditzy_vs_Dumb.jpg
:andruw:

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Anyone ever try sourdough bread from Boudin Bakery in San Francisco? Apparently, San Francisco sourdough has a unique ingredient to it that no other sourdough bread in the world has due to the FOG in that city. According to them, "San Francisco's fog that comes around during what would normally be the hottest months of the year, makes a hospitable environment for wild yeast and Lactobacillus sanfrancisco to grow with a symbiotic relationship. The wild yeast that only San Francisco bread has, Saccharomyces exiguus, is different from the commercial type used by other bakers. This species is unable to metabolize maltose, a sugar required by the Lactobacillus sanfrancisco to make lactic and acetic acid which is what makes the bread sour. In return, the Lactobacillus sanfrancisco releases glucose, happily used up by Saccharomyces exiguus, thus creating the unique flavor that only San Francisco bread can have!" I'll be there next month, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wow, that's some pricey bread. Let us know if it was worth it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Hitting up Home Cut Donuts tomorrow. Will let ya know how they measure up for me

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The vanilla angels are the ones you wont find anywhere else, and always a family favorite here.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Here we go

Loved the variety of donuts. Might very well be the best selection of donuts I have ever seen.

No Angel Vanilla donut today. But that was ok. The hardest thing to do is choose. Being aware of my daughters and wife I picked up four donuts. Glazed, Double Chocolate Cake, Blueberry Crunch and Apple and Spice.

We all got 1/4 of each donut. Here are the reviews:

Glazed - Nothing special. Tastes no different then any glazed you can get at a grocery store 4 thumbs down

Double Chocolate Cake - Decent donut, but not worth the additional price, 4 thumbs flat

Apple and Spice - Liked the spice, but the apples and glaze filling were just eh. Both daughters did not like them. 2 thumbs flat, two down

Blueberry Crunch - Liked this one the best. Nice crunch of a muffin and the softness of a donut. Two thumbs flat two thumbs up.

It was only four donuts of the near 40 that they had. But they didn't match or succeed any donut that Donut Den does. Better than Dunkin, but not better than other donuts you can get from the smaller places.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Note...would get German chocolate for my dad to try tho

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Wow, you're the first person I have met that likes Donut Den better than Homecut(and I live in the area). Either something was wrong at homecut, or that is just how the 'donut crumbles'. Sad to hear they didn't have any vanilla angels, since they make them 24/7 in that next room, that's also a bit surprising/bad management of resources.

You have me worried that they may have changed recipes to meet price inflation. Since I gave up sugar in December, I haven't had any donuts. They used to have the best price of all the donut shops in the area per dozen of standard donuts. I'll have to keep an eye out on that 5star review average.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wow, you're the first person I have met that likes Donut Den better than Homecut(and I live in the area). Either something was wrong at homecut, or that is just how the 'donut crumbles'. Sad to hear they didn't have any vanilla angels, since they make them 24/7 in that next room, that's also a bit surprising/bad management of resources.

You have me worried that they may have changed recipes to meet price inflation. Since I gave up sugar in December, I haven't had any donuts. They used to have the best price of all the donut shops in the area per dozen of standard donuts. I'll have to keep an eye out on that 5star review average.
Dozen was 8.27 + tax

Like I said they have tons

But a Donut Den Taffy Apple or New York Style Cheese Cake Donut is heaven on earth.

To each tho

I loved the am adventure to start my day. Getting ready for the Jelly Belly tour

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Haha. Oh yeah. It's all good. I've had both plenty of times, I like them both. I give Homecut the edge for nearly everything, but that is not bashing Donut Den by any means. In a month, you'll tell me that you finally tried Chicken N Spice breast chunks, and tell me they are underwhelming :lol:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Thats right. I gotta check that one out. Gotta be better than the chunky chicken on theodore and rte 59. Its closed now

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Hey, I tried the sourdough from Panera.

It's good. Not a sweet sourdough, but a yeast sourdough for sure. Crust is on the chewy side, and it's about 12-18 hour aged dough from the taste of it.

Try that California Goldminers sourdough. It's not that different, maybe a hair more sour and a crisper/flaky crust. $3 a loaf, so you would save $1 from Panera's if you like it.