Bulls weren't 'All-In' for Anthony

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He's atleast 6 years away though. He's got two years on a rookie deal, will likely get an extension offer from New Orleans that will be 4-5 years

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He's atleast 6 years away though. He's got two years on a rookie deal, will likely get an extension offer from New Orleans that will be 4-5 years

We could make a trade :D.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker

sign me up

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anthony Davis is from Chicago, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's just get BR's all Chicago lineup of Rose, Wade, Marion, Jabari, and Davis.

We can have our backups be from Iowa...Hinrich, McDermott, Korver, Nick Collison, Harrison Barnes.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if Melo wanted Taj on the team, or the Bulls were unwilling to trade him. And yeah, Melo said that, but I don't think he meant that massive of a paycut. Every team besides the Knicks could offer him around 30 million less than the Knicks, the Bulls were offering even $20 million less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From everything that was reported the day Melo was in Chicago, he wanted Taj on the team. Taj and Noah were huge parts of the pitch that day IIRC.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Orrr...he can say 'screw you guys, I'M COMING HOME'

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Orrr...he can say 'screw you guys, I'M COMING HOME'
He'd be an RFA in 2016 in which New Orleans would surely match anything. He could take the qualifying offer and be an unrestricted free agent in 2017.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He'd be an RFA in 2016 in which New Orleans would surely match anything. He could take the qualifying offer and be an unrestricted free agent in 2017.
Hm only 3 years away then...someone needs to go do some inception on him to convince him that he needs to play here ASAP

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I would like for once a player to say "It's not about the money" and then back it up. Has that ever happened ever?

Like him or not, Mike Dunleavy Jr could have gotten close to double. For whatever reason, he gave us a big discount.

But yeah, it happens. Ring Chasers take discounts. Rarely do big stars near their prime take the discounts.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Like him or not, Mike Dunleavy Jr could have gotten close to double. For whatever reason, he gave us a big discount.

But yeah, it happens. Ring Chasers take discounts. Rarely do big stars near their prime take the discounts.
Similarly, Kirk supposedly has gotten better offers every time he's signed with us :shrug:

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
It was different here because we couldn't sign Melo outright for the max without losing Taj, who Melo supposedly wanted kept on the team.

That was nothing but hearsay that was never fully corroborated by Melo. If he was so unwilling to play without Taj, why was it reported he was trying to recruit Gasol to NY, a player we were also pursuing at the same time?

If he wasn't willing to sign for less, what leverage would he have to get NY to do a S&T? NY can just laugh at us and say "screw you guys, we're not trading you anything" and that's basically what happened.

Once again, we do not know for certain that was the case and think about if it actually was true. So Melo just signs with NY, even though he doesn't really want to, because his new boss is being an A-hole and won't budge on a S&T? Yea that's a great start to their new relationship. :smug: If Melo really wanted to be a Bull, his agent would have found a way to make a S&T work.

If Melo had been willing to take less or if he had said that he'd commit if we traded Taj to clear up space, it might be a different story. So really, it does seem that Melo was going more for the money in which case, we really didn't stand a chance against NY. No one did.

This is what is most likely true. Melo had never been a FA and wanted to go through the process. In the end, he wanted his $$. I can't say I totally blame him, especially when you grow up dirt poor like he did. What I cannot stand is all the posturing he did, which cost us several quality wing FA's, while we waited on his decision to return to NY like most of us had expected. He knew on THURSDAY of last week he was resigning with NY, but delayed his "decision" because LBJ made his announcement on Friday & he a day to be all about him.

But enough about Melo. He's going to wallow his career away on a mediocre team while we will likely make the Finals this season with a healthy roster. I think things worked out just fine.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

I remember people talking about how crappy it would be for the Bulls to trade him to get Melo after he took such a big discount to play here.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Similarly, Kirk supposedly has gotten better offers every time he's signed with us :shrug:

That's because we, as Bulls fans, value him as a vet minimum guy. Other teams still pursue him, and he did take a discount last time, IIRC, just not the vet minimum. I don't blame him. Kirk doesn't come off as the sharpest tool in the shed, so I would take the money too.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That was nothing but hearsay that was never fully corroborated by Melo. If he was so unwilling to play without Taj, why was it reported he was trying to recruit Gasol to NY, a player we were also pursuing at the same time?
That's a good point. At the time, it seemed like most credible news sources were saying that though so what are we, as otherwise uninformed fans, to think? It was in line with the winning angle because having Taj was more conducive to winning than not having him unless there was a way to get both Melo and Gasol with the trades and such. It is possible that him recruiting Gasol was also a bunch of hearsay. Pau never really seemed to consider NY after all. Who knows? :shrug:

Once again, we do not know for certain that was the case and think about if it actually was true. So Melo just signs with NY, even though he doesn't really want to, because his new boss is being an A-hole and won't budge on a S&T? Yea that's a great start to their new relationship. :smug: If Melo really wanted to be a Bull, his agent would have found a way to make a S&T work.
I was more getting at that Melo didn't actually want to play here because if he did, yeah his agent would've found something that worked for a trade, or he would've just signed for less. In either case, it required him to commit to playing in Chicago, which in turn forces NY's hand to decide if they want to try to at least get something back for him since he's all but gone anyway. However with Melo being in indecision land (supposedly) any attempt at negotiating a sign and trade with NY would have been outright rejected. Long story short, NY saying they would not do sign and trades most likely indicated that they had no reason to believe Melo would leave and that was the case. It was less of a Melo really wanted to play in NY and more of a he didn't really want to play in Chicago.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's because we, as Bulls fans, value him as a vet minimum guy. Other teams still pursue him, and he did take a discount last time, IIRC, just not the vet minimum. I don't blame him. Kirk doesn't come off as the sharpest tool in the shed, so I would take the money too.
He's never gotten the minimum, nor do I think it was ever offered to him...at least by this FO. I'm saying he's taken less than he could've gotten elsewhere to play here because it was reported that other teams like the Bucks and Hornets were offering him more, but he chose to take less and stay here.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I was more getting at that Melo didn't actually want to play here because if he did, yeah his agent would've found something that worked for a trade, or he would've just signed for less.

44010677.jpg

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

Kirk could easily have gotten $3 mill plus on the open market. Despite what most Bulls fans think, he can still start for a number of teams. He is still an above average defender & can play & guard both guard positions. That has value in this league. He has taken less to play with us not once, or twice, but three times dating all the way back to his only big contract. He will never play for another team so just suck it up already Bulls fans because we could have a lot worse.