David Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liked Posts:
Which is why a team is going to want Baez over Russell. Like I said, Russell hasn't proven anything yet. He could though, no doubt about it. I think the pecking order would be Baez, Castro and then Russell for a team wanting a SS from the Cubs.

They'll have to wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and then wait to see what fills up first.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at some stats this year:

Castro 373 AB 103 Hits 26 2B 11 HR 52 RBI .276/.326/.440 25 BB
Longoria 373 AB 96 hits 13 2B 11 HR 44 RBI .257/.333/.386 39 BB

To be honest Castro is the better hitter this year. Longoria only is taking BB at a higher rate.

and anyone taking castro over longoria is an idiot.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe price was the one singing "go cubs go" and not peavy...hmmmm.

either way this will cost the farm and a lot of money. is it worth it? not sure...especially when there is no rotation to speak of, a bunch of "top" specs who we know some wont pan out. its a risk.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah I wouldnt have wanted that either if I was a cubs fan ...ya know with all that starting pitching depth the cubs have its just not worth it.

Let's give up Prospects for 1.5 years of a guy when we could wait the 1.5 years and sign him in FA. We're going to do that because the next 1.5 years we are basically a World Series contender.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
And who says Price will hit FA?

The Cubs could have traded for and promptly signed Price to an extension.

Instead he ends up on Detroit with a management team that has shown the ability and desire to spend big money on players.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Instead he ends up on Detroit with a management team that has shown the ability and desire to spend big money on players.
1. He'd be a fool if at 29 he doesn't test FA next year

2. BIG risk to trade your top prospects then hope he agrees to extend and not test market

sure it would be great to have a pitcher like price or lester and I know that some of you can care less about prospects but fact is they spent 2 years building it up (system) , their not going to start dismantling it now before they even get a chance to see them come up.

Lester will be a FA this off season, they can get him without losing prospects.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Price on Tigers in a 3 team.

Tigers Acquire David Price In 3-Team Deal With Rays, Mariners
By Jeff Todd [July 31, 2014 at 3:45pm CDT]
The Tigers have officially agreed to acquire David Price from the Rays, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is a three-way trade between the Tigers, Rays, and Mariners.

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers at Tampa Bay Rays

Tigers center fielder Austin Jackson will go to the Mariners, with Nick Franklin (from Seattle) and Drew Smyly (from Detroit) heading to Tampa in the blockbuster. Minor league shortstop Willy Adames is also going to Tampa from Detroit in the deal, per a tweet from Rosenthal.

The move brings and end to near-ceaseless speculation regarding the now-former Rays lefty, who has been one of the game’s best pitchers in recent seasons. Still only 28, Price is under control for one more season through arbitration, though he will certainly not come cheap.

Playing this year on a $14MM salary, Price will be in line for a big raise next year. Of course, one key element of his value lies in the fact that his new club will have an opportunity to explore an extension. The reason that Price figures to draw a big salary next year is obvious: he has continued to be outstanding. At present, he owns a 3.11 ERA with a remarkable 10.0 K/9 against just 1.2 BB/9 over 170 2/3 innings.

The return for the Rays is not particularly splashy, but delivers obvious value. Smyly, 25, was outstanding last year as a reliever and has since converted into a solid starting option. He carries a 3.77 ERA through 100 1/3 innings, with 7.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 and a 36.9% groundball rate. While his strikeout numbers are down since moving to the rotation, he can be controlled through 2018.

The 23-year-old Franklin, meanwhile, seemed without a future in Seattle after the club added Robinson Cano. Though he has spent time at both short and second, many observers believe he is better suited for the keystone going forward. He had a solid 2013 at the MLB level (.225/.303/.382 in 412 plate appearances), and though his numbers were off this year in limited action, Franklin has continued to swing a big stick against Triple-A pitchers.

Then, there is Adames, who could be something of a wild card in the deal. Just 18, he has a promising .269/.346/.428 slash line through 400 plate appearances at the low-A level this year. He entered the year as Baseball America’s 30th-ranked Tigers prospect, but appears to be raising eyebrows around the game.

That brings us to Seattle, which quietly managed to address its center field need without giving up an indispensable piece of the future. In fact, the 27-year-old Jackson will be at least a mid-term piece for Seattle. He is playing on a $6MM salary this year before hitting arbitration for the final time. He currently sports a .270/.330/.397 line that is approximately league average (as it was last year). With solid contributions in the field and on the bases, he is certainly an above-average big league regular.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that Jackson and Smyly were part of the deal (via Twitter). Mike Salk of 710 ESPN tweeted that Jackson would head to Seattle. Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune first reported Franklin’s inclusion (via Twitter).

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
i didnt read much of this but what I did is laughable at best.

Derek Nichol

Liked Posts:
Price gives DET the best rotation in the league now. I'd put them ahead of OAK!

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh, Verlander has not been Verlander for awhile.

than push him to 3 or 4. that is still a nasty rotation. scherzer,price,verlander,sanchez...yeah not something any team except maybe the As can come close to.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
than push him to 3 or 4. that is still a nasty rotation. scherzer,price,verlander,sanchez...yeah not something any team except maybe the As can come close to.

Absolutely True and that who I was comparing them to. The A's made those pitching moves to beat Detroit. Detroit made the Price move to counter the A's. Should be fun if they meet up.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
should be crazy. im not a det hater even though they are in our division I still think they are missing something. i cant put my finger on it but i just dont see the tigers being champs. oakland is playing insane but thats another team im skeptical about. who are you picks?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

They won't be signing both Price and Scherzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.