David Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2014/...t-all-with-the-chicago-cubs-would-be-coolest/

Price knows the score, and admitted in an All-Star Game media session,*per MLB.com, that he doesn’t know where he’ll be coming next month. He’d prefer to stick with the comfort of the Rays, but there are other teams – he declined to name – that he’d be happy to head to. Later in his comments, however, Price did specify one team by name, as far as the future is concerned:

“Winning is absolutely something you want to do,” Price said, again*per MLB.com, as well as*StlToday.com. “Being a part of something special is also something you want to do. You can take that to a first-place team, or you can take that to a last-place team like the Cubs. With the talent they have coming up, they could be a very special team in a few years as well. That would probably be the coolest city to win a championship in right now. They haven’t done it in I’m not sure how long. To do that there that would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now.”

Folks have talked about a Cubs-Price connection for years now, dating back to the Cubs’ hiring of Price’s former Vanderbilt pitching coach Derek Johnson to be the organization’s pitching coordinator. While that didn’t quite seem like enough to make a marriage, whenever you looked at timelines and needs, there were other reasonable explanations for seeing a fit.

Still, this is the first time we’re hearing anything quite like this straight from the horse’s mouth, and, although Price was ostensibly speaking generally, he chose to discuss the Cubs, unprompted. Obviously this is something he’s considered as he approaches free agency.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We might have to spend money and give up a comp pick.

If I were the Cubs I'd hold on to those things.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think you wait one more year for him, if he is a target of the organization.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Doesn't he have a no trade clause? Either way I would wait to trade until there isn't as much leverage in favor of TB.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't he have a no trade clause? Either way I would wait to trade until there isn't as much leverage in favor of TB.

Nope, he's in arbitration. I bet he'll make close to 20 Mil next year in arb 4. And people want to start clocks already...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He worries me. he has been a work horse for a long time. If we trade for him, we would have to give him 150 million plus extension.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How successful has TB been by starting DP's clock? Winning is worth it.

Did it though? In 2009, Price's rookie year, the Ray's finished 3rd in the AL East and missed the playoffs. Had they held Price out another month, he misses Super 2 and they still don't make the playoffs.

In Bryant, Baez, and Russell's case, we likely aren't going to be competitive until 2016, maybe next year, but I don't think it's worth starting their clocks early and going to Arb 4 scenarios.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Did it though? In 2009, Price's rookie year, the Ray's finished 3rd in the AL East and missed the playoffs. Had they held Price out another month, he misses Super 2 and they still don't make the playoffs.
So, IOW, they were right there in it and instead of trading away pieces, they made sure Price was there to help them out. Yeah. Sounds worthless.:bizarro:

In Bryant, Baez, and Russell's case, we likely aren't going to be competitive until 2016, maybe next year, but I don't think it's worth starting their clocks early and going to Arb 4 scenarios.
We don't need to agree, however Epstein is on record as hoping that this is the last year they are obvious sellers at the trade deadline. That means he either expects to be somewhat competitive next season or he blew smoke up your skirt.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I understand the importance of holding baez n bryant down til May 2015.

my thing is how would that affect the off season as far as not knowing for sure what positions baez n bryant are going to play, even Alcantara...

not knowing for sure where they will play between 2B,3B,CF, and RF means your not sure of what position player to go for in off season.

Also not having them start the season means you need to add 2 extra players to opening day roster and then do what release them when they promote come may ?

I just think it would be better for the team to bring them up now and start figuring out who gonna play where and let them all (the core) get used to playing with one another in Castillo, Rizzo, Baez, Castro, and Bryant. Deal with contract stuff when that time comes in 6 yrs, if their that good their gonna be extending them before then anyways.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Waah.

If the third largest market in baseball can't pay allegedly premier talent, then this rebuild isn't going to work.

It would cost the Cubs Baez for starters, and a whole lot more. Frankly, I'd rather pay for Lester and keep the farm in tact to be able to use them down the road for trading purposes.

The Cubs could give Lester basically Tanaka's money (maybe a little more), pick up Hammel in the off season, and be right back where they were this year with a legit TOR arm.

They could pick up a corner outfielder, and still stay way under 100 million in payroll while the kids earn their places on the team.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
maaaaan I wish I could get my hopes up about David Price being a Cub

Unless he's so dead set on being a Cub that he'll refuse to sign an extension anywhere else, it just won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.