It seems like the front office complementing Thibs defensive system with more...

Liked Posts:
...offensive skill.

There definitely seems to be a big infusion of offensive skill. It's often been observed that Thibs' defensive system doesn't require a player to be an incredibly strong individual defender. It seems like the front office might be subscribing to this.

But it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. It always seemed like Thibs fixation on playing strong defenders a lot of minutes was doubling up and a little redundant to some extent. It will be interesting to see how it all fits together and whether Thibs trusts his system enough to let the guys with offensive skill play more than he might have in the past.

I guess you could also point to him sticking to Boozer as a starter for so long as evidence to the contrary. I guess I'd like to believe Gasol is an upgrade. While he doesn't always seem willing to take a charge, my impression that he at least cares enough to rotate defensively, which is more than you can say for Boozer. Noah was really doing yeomans work carrying Boozer all those years Boozer was getting significant minutes.

Another string is the recent additions can really help spacing, shooting, and ball movement. Would Thibs be willing to play McDermott, Mirotic, and Gasol together? Or, for example, will playing Mirotic mean playing Butler at 3 and will playing McDermott mean playing Taj at the 4?

And one other thing, will we still see Derrick dribbling a lot? Or will we see the offense initiated through someone like Noah (et al)?

It seems like there are a lot of possibilities with the new personnel but optimizing it, in some cases, might require old habits to die hard. Btw, I'm wondering if they'll try to spread minutes out more since Gasol is getting up there.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
And one other thing, will we still see Derrick dribbling a lot? Or will we see the offense initiated through someone like Noah (et al)?

You ask alot of questions man. Im also excited to see how the bulls offense will work. The return of derrick is top question on my mind. I wonder if he will be playing more without the ball, or is offensive sets run through him? It seems there are plenty of players with offensive talent, so the bulls should really be able to keep the ball moving around.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You ask alot of questions man. Im also excited to see how the bulls offense will work. The return of derrick is top question on my mind. I wonder if he will be playing more without the ball, or is offensive sets run through him? It seems there are plenty of players with offensive talent, so the bulls should really be able to keep the ball moving around.
Imo we have enough options to keep the offense from being Derrick handling the ball all the time. When we have passers like Gasol and Noah, there's no reason not to use that, especially when we have good off the ball players. We have slashers in Rose and Butler, spot up shooters in Dunleavy, McDermott, and Mirotic, and all of those guys can theoretically do both. We have a post option in Pau, a lesser one in Taj, and possibly even Mirotic and McDermott depending on the matchup. We do lack in one on one play, but if we play in a Spurs like offense, we don't need that much iso anyway.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We still have no other go-to scorer. In the East, the Cavs, Heat, Wizards all have multiple options.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless Dougie develops into one...I dont see it though.
Mirotic and Dougie both could be good scorers in their own right, but we'll have to wait and see. As it stands, they're really our only hope to get another go to guy. The best we have otherwise is Gasol. I guess he could be a little better than what we've had recently.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Unless Dougie develops into one...I dont see it though.

We brought in the BEST scorer from college, we brought in the best player from Europe, we brought in the 1st post scorer since Curry/Cartwright (eek), and hopefully we're getting an MVP scorer back. I don't agree.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes

This statement is a complete misconception. I've studied Thib's system. The offence is very simple and if you notice through the first half of the shot clock of half court offence Rose doesn't even have the ball. He would dribble up, toss it to Noah or Booze and curl through the defence. Option 1. Look for cutting, either Rose or Wing. Option 2. Open shot by Booze or sometimes Noah if defense backs off to double. Option 3. pass it back to Rose as he finishes curl through defence so he can either create his own shot, drive and score or dish to open man if defence colapses. A very simple offensive system. Are you thinking of Kirk when you made this note?

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Imo we have enough options to keep the offense from being Derrick handling the ball all the time. When we have passers like Gasol and Noah, there's no reason not to use that, especially when we have good off the ball players. We have slashers in Rose and Butler, spot up shooters in Dunleavy, McDermott, and Mirotic, and all of those guys can theoretically do both. We have a post option in Pau, a lesser one in Taj, and possibly even Mirotic and McDermott depending on the matchup. We do lack in one on one play, but if we play in a Spurs like offense, we don't need that much iso anyway.

If the offense is working right, then we dont need Iso play. Bullls are consistenly high in assists, anyway. they never had to rely on ISO much.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If the offense is working right, then we dont need Iso play. Bullls are consistenly high in assists, anyway. they never had to rely on ISO much.
I remember in 2010 seeing a lot of Rose isos. :shrug:

Definitely the last few years we've been passing the ball around like madmen because we had no iso scorers. I'm hoping this year with everyone back and more offensive options we'll see the right balance

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Breaking News:
Bulls need Offense. :smh:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How is Gasol not considered a go to scorer?
He's old. Not sure I'd revolve offense around him. I guess we'll see though. He can be, I'm just weary of such a thing.

Liked Posts:
This statement is a complete misconception. I've studied Thib's system. The offence is very simple and if you notice through the first half of the shot clock of half court offence Rose doesn't even have the ball. He would dribble up, toss it to Noah or Booze and curl through the defence. Option 1. Look for cutting, either Rose or Wing. Option 2. Open shot by Booze or sometimes Noah if defense backs off to double. Option 3. pass it back to Rose as he finishes curl through defence so he can either create his own shot, drive and score or dish to open man if defence colapses. A very simple offensive system. Are you thinking of Kirk when you made this note?

No, as clone indicated, there was more isolation with Rose in the lineup. He's also correct about playing differently when Rose is out. They'd be better off continuing to run the offense as if Rose is out. More ball movement wouldn't necessarily mean fewer FGs for Derrick Rose but it should translate to more easy scores. And if not for Rose, someone else.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
After 2 years without Rose, Noah being about 10x the offensive player he was 3 years ago, Butler starting over who Keith Bogans or Rip Hamilton, Dunleavy instead of Deng, Gasol instead of Boozer if you say you know what the offense will look like you're full of yourself. Because it's far different than it was when played the last time.

My hope would be that Rose has seen what the other players are capable of and won't feel pressure to try and do it all. He's got people he has been watching run the offense, get to their spots, score and win games without him if he can just play his game and let them contribute like he's seen they can they won't have the worst offense in the league.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You can run offense through Gasol. The issue is getting a guy who can create his own shot with the clock ticking down. Maybe Mirotic is that guy as the season progresses. They have good shooters now and a guy who adds something to the post. If Derrick is healthy and playing well, they can at least win the East.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
After 2 years without Rose, Noah being about 10x the offensive player he was 3 years ago, Butler starting over who Keith Bogans or Rip Hamilton, Dunleavy instead of Deng, Gasol instead of Boozer if you say you know what the offense will look like you're full of yourself. Because it's far different than it was when played the last time.

My hope would be that Rose has seen what the other players are capable of and won't feel pressure to try and do it all. He's got people he has been watching run the offense, get to their spots, score and win games without him if he can just play his game and let them contribute like he's seen they can they won't have the worst offense in the league.

Which is why I'd like the offense to run through Rose for the most part. First, I'd still like to see some offense go through Noah at the elbow like you guys are suggesting. I feel the best way Rose can help moving forward is to play like a traditional PG.

I do NOT want to see Rose driving the hoop and getting slammed by big guys and NOT getting a foul cuz he's small anymore. I'd like to see him use his quickness to setup the offense and dish to his new shooters.

Even MJ brought the ball, as a PG, one year to dish the ball and make the team better. If teams are spending their time chasing Rose around, guys like Dougie are going to be open. Pau is here when we get forced into a half court game.

Imo, Rose needs to change his game for it to be the best for the Bulls. I'd Love to see Rose spend his energy pushing the ball up court and dishing more than trying to be our best scorer. Get the ball, push the ball, fall back to Noah running from the elbow.

Bottom line, at least imo, is Rose needs to become more of a traditional PG. The rest will fall into place.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

I've noticed this as well. High post entry with flash thru the lane back out to the wing. Got some Wooden-like concepts to it.

I really hope we see a lot more the the floppy game with McDermott. He reads screens so well. He needs to be always moving to help him get space. Using Rose to just drive and kick to McDermott opposite to a flat footed McDermott would be a waste IMO.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've noticed this as well. High post entry with flash thru the lane back out to the wing. Got some Wooden-like concepts to it.

I really hope we see a lot more the the floppy game with McDermott. He reads screens so well. He needs to be always moving to help him get space. Using Rose to just drive and kick to McDermott opposite to a flat footed McDermott would be a waste IMO.
Imo we'll use him in those floppy situations similar to how they used him in Creighton. Because he's so good at reading screens, that is actually a pretty good play in my mind. Even if it's a single double screen action for him like they used to run for Korver, that might not be that bad either as far as a simple play goes. The straight Rose drive and kick offense should be minimized as much as possible imo. Our players are good enough off the ball that we shouldn't have to do that.