Report: Bulls sign PG Aaron Brooks

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/source-bulls-targeting-scoring-point-guard-aaron-brooks

Potentially following in the tradition of diminutive scoring point guards like C.J. Watson, John Lucas III, D.J. Augustin and fellow Seattle native Nate Robinson, free agent Aaron Brooks could be next in line to fill the role of the next Bulls' instant-offense scorer off the bench, CSNChicago.com has learned.

Another perimeter player with the ability to create his own shot is an area of need for the Bulls, who are currently projected to have 11 players under contract with the additions of veteran big man Pau Gasol, 2011 first-round draft pick Nikola Mirotic, re-signed floor general Kirk Hinrich and rookies Doug McDermott and Cameron Bairstow. Tuesday, the organization exercised the amnesty provision on Carlos Boozer and Thursday the power forward was acquired by the Lakers, who submitted a high bid of $3.25 million, meaning the Bulls are responsible for the nearly $13.3 balance of his $16.8 million 2014-15 salary, the final year of the five-year contract he signed in 2010, though it won't affect the team's salary cap.

[MORE BULLS: Lakers sign amnestied forward Carlos Boozer]

Brooks, 29, averaged nine points per game as a reserve in Denver and Houston last season, posting per-game averages of 11.9 points per game for the Nuggets while filling in for the injured Robinson. The best season for Brooks, generously listed at an even 6-foot, was the 2009-10 campaign, in which he averaged 19.6 points and 5.3 assists per game in Houston.

A University of Oregon product, the journeyman has bounced around the league throughout his seven-year NBA career, playing for the aforementioned Nuggets, Kings, Suns and three separate stints with the Rockets, the team that drafted him in 2007, as well as briefly playing in China during the 2011 lockout. For his career, Brooks, who is regarded as a shoot-first point guard, has averaged 11.1 points and 3.4 assists per game.

[FORBES: Bulls, Cubs, Bears rank in 50 most valuable sports franchises]

There's no question Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau's reputation for putting similar backup point guards in position to succeed has played a part in Brooks considering relocating to Chicago, even with former league MVP Derrick Rose slated to return at the start of the season.
Tags:
CHICAGO BULLS, Bulls, chicago, NBA, Basketball, Aaron Brooks, Houston Rockets, rockets, HOUSTON, Tom Thiibodeau, C.J. Watson, Denver Nuggets, DENVER, nuggets, John Lucas III, D.J. Augustin, Nate Robinson, SEATTLE, Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic, Kirk HInrich, Doug McDermott, Cameron Bairstow, CARLOS BOOZER, Oregon, DERRICK ROSE

Aggrey Sam is the Bulls Insider for CSNChicago.com. You can follow Aggrey on Twitter @CSNBullsInsider.

Hopefully we get this done, we've had great luck with guys like him. I don't like Hinrich in a backup role at this point, I think Brooks would be a great fit.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
GOOD. I want him. Badly.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
This whole message board would be a lot less fatalistic with him signed. Its a good move.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He can shoot. sign him.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Aaron Brooks can flat out score. Always been a fan of his game. Hope it gets done.

Liked Posts:
Sounds good, hope he comes to the squad

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Apparently most of the league doesn't have the sharp eye for talent that fans here do

the journeyman has bounced around the league throughout his seven-year NBA career, playing for the aforementioned Nuggets, Kings, Suns and three separate stints with the Rockets, the team that drafted him in 2007, as well as briefly playing in China during the 2011 lockout.

journeyman bounced around to 4 teams in 7 years plus playing in China. At best he's an emergency fill in behind Hinrich. At best he plays 12 minutes behind Rose, they aren't going to play them both at the same time and have DRose matched up against another team's big guard.

I don't love the underdog, the little man taking on the giants and all the cute pre game fairy tale stories.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently most of the league doesn't have the sharp eye for talent that fans here do

journeyman bounced around to 4 teams in 7 years plus playing in China. At best he's an emergency fill in behind Hinrich. At best he plays 12 minutes behind Rose, they aren't going to play them both at the same time and have DRose matched up against another team's big guard.

I don't love the underdog, the little man taking on the giants and all the cute pre game fairy tale stories.
Clearly you missed the Nate Robinson and DJ Augustin eras. Thibs is a wizard with small scoring guards

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

stop being a stick in the mud

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
GOOD. I want him. Badly.

145761.gif

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Out of the available players, Brooks is the best option.

The major concern is, we'll have 3 PGs on the team that have a bad track record of staying healthy.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Out of the available players, Brooks is the best option.

The major concern is, we'll have 3 PGs on the team that have a bad track record of staying healthy.
I don't recall Brooks having issues the past few seasons, but then again, I didn't really pay attention to him much.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Last season he was okay. I had him in fantasy, and maybe I just remember him for being out more than in, despite playing a healthy season(70+ games)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Last season he was okay. I had him in fantasy, and maybe I just remember him for being out more than in, despite playing a healthy season(70+ games)
Well last year he had Lin and Beverly in front of him so that gave him a few DNPs. I don't think he got that many minutes unless one of them was injured.

Liked Posts:
Isn't this the guy who gave the Lakers fits in the playoffs several years ago while he was playing for the Rockets?If this is that same guy, it's hard to call this a bad move under the circumstances. I kind of remember him being a poor mans Ty Lawson.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He'll be the first off-season acquisition to make the final roster, who happens to be black. I guess the Pelicans really twisted Paxson's arm by signing Jimmer.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
He'll be the first off-season acquisition to make the final roster, who happens to be black. I guess the Pelicans really twisted Paxson's arm by signing Jimmer.

We can't find some Euro guy to bring in for the vet min? What about Billy Baron from the summer league? He's tough and has good range :shrug:

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

hes gonna swoop in and sign Aaron Craft