Starlin Castro

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think they should just figure out different ways to set these guys up in the field instead of trading Castro. I mean what's the point of trading Castro to make room for Russell? It seems Russel projects to be pretty much the same player Castro is now... He's just a few years younger. I don't think it would be bad to stick Bryant in the outfield and keep Castro, Russell, Baez, Rizzo in the IF?

Maybe I'm just a big Castro homer, but I'd be pretty pissed/bummed with a Castro trade.

I will answer that question this way. If Russell is the better defender and projects to be as good as Castro, then the smarter move would be to dump him and/or Baez to net pitching. Castro, though a modest contract, still gives even more flexability for payroll, and 5-8 million extra on one player could mean the difference between a borderline #1 or #2, and an ACE in free agency.

Russell, if he makes it, starts the whole clock thing back over again where they would essentially have a 22 year old and paying him the league minimum for 3 years before he goes to arbitration.

Like someone else said, it is a good thing to have that much depth, and the better thing is if they all succeed because then it will net that much more for the Cubs if they trade any of them.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Because it would be stupid to trade Baez at this point. His ceiling is too high. It makes more sense to trade Castro. Castro doesn't really have enough power to play a corner position. His defense isn't that great either.

I have heard this argument before, but it's silly. Think about it.

If Castro plays 2B and Baez, who has power, plays 3rd, all is OK.

But, if Baez plays 2b - perhaps because he is better there than Castro, then suddenly it's a problem that Castro doesn't have enough power for that position.

Same offense.
Better defense than scenario #1.
But scenario #1 is Ok, and scenario #2 is not.

Makes no sense.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Cubs have no reason to trade any of these guys at this point. Too early to be contending, and before we see what Baez and Russell can do? Why trade now?

Personally, i don't want to see them trade any of these guys at least for a while. But at a bare minimum, they should be waiting until trade deadline 2015. No sooner.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:

But, if Baez plays 2b - perhaps because he is better there than Castro, then suddenly it's a problem that Castro doesn't have enough power for that position.

Same offense.

Makes no sense.

Yeah, I don't get why certain positions NEED to be power hitters, either. So what if a 3B gets you 10 HR a year, but if your 2B gets you 35 what's the difference? You're still getting the same offensive output that you want. If my RF gets me 13 HR's, but my SS is giving 45, sweet! Same power, doesn't matter where they play on D... It's just silly.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I dont know why its so hard to see what direction their heading with these kids..

Russell will probably start 2015 in AAA and depending on his play, will determine if he up after the break or 2016.

So,, until then when baez and bryant arrives its pretty simple where they'll play.

1B Rizzo 2B Baez. SS Castro. 3B Bryant. CF Alcantara

I actually believe Russell will be their big trade bait , especially if Baez and Alcantara have success.

I also feel Soler will start 2015 in AAA and get st least 100 or so ABs there before they decide wheather or not he ready to come up.

Schwarber if he continues to hit, late 2015 or start of 2016

Almora late 2015 or 2016, also can be used as trade bait if Alcantara takes over CF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont know why its so hard to see what direction their heading with these kids..

Russell will probably start 2015 in AAA and depending on his play, will determine if he up after the break or 2016.

So,, until then when baez and bryant arrives its pretty simple where they'll play.

1B Rizzo 2B Baez. SS Castro. 3B Bryant. CF Alcantara

I actually believe Russell will be their big trade bait , especially if Baez and Alcantara have success.

I also feel Soler will start 2015 in AAA and get st least 100 or so ABs there before they decide wheather or not he ready to come up.

Schwarber if he continues to hit, late 2015 or start of 2016

Almora late 2015 or 2016, also can be used as trade bait if Alcantara takes over CF.

They don't want to agree because of agenda. Alcantara has proven he is more than good enough to handle CF.

30 HR's at 2B is pretty much all star level production.

I wouldn't worry about Bryant etc until next year. Right now we are looking at Hendricks, Alcantara and Baez being added. I'm pretty happy with just that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They don't want to agree because of agenda. Alcantara has proven he is more than good enough to handle CF.

30 HR's at 2B is pretty much all star level production.

I wouldn't worry about Bryant etc until next year. Right now we are looking at Hendricks, Alcantara and Baez being added. I'm pretty happy with just that.
Probably right with bryant, as they may want to give Olt every opportunity to try and turn things around if not to keep him , for trade value.

I just find it hard to think if Bryant continues to tear it up into Aug., they cant justify leaving him down and not consider on bringing him up til May or so for super 2 status.

If im bryant that would piss me off and may affect my thinking when their looking to get a home town deal in an extension down the road.
Cubs just may have to bite the bullet with him

Liked Posts:

Same offense.

Makes no sense.

It's not silly at all. If you have Baez at 2B, you'll start wondering whit kind if pop you can then put at 3B and look to upgrade over Castro. Additionally, second to 1B and possibly RF, 3B has the lowest injury risk. You don't have to run as hard and as far as often as you do up the middle. You also don't have people taking you out on a turn as often.

No, it's not silly at all.

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't get why certain positions NEED to be power hitters, either. So what if a 3B gets you 10 HR a year, but if your 2B gets you 35 what's the difference? You're still getting the same offensive output that you want. If my RF gets me 13 HR's, but my SS is giving 45, sweet! Same power, doesn't matter where they play on D... It's just silly.

First of all, there's a dearth of power in MLB. So teams are going to put a premium on that at positions where defense isn't at a premium (ie corner positions). And as flawed as some of the statistics are, one recent change that us on point was to focus on SLG % and OBP. Batting average says a 1b is as good as a HR. This newer focus puts Castro in no-man's land.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
First of all, there's a dearth of power in MLB. So teams are going to put a premium on that at positions where defense isn't at a premium (ie corner positions). And as flawed as some of the statistics are, one recent change that us on point was to focus on SLG % and OBP. Batting average says a 1b is as good as a HR. This newer focus puts Castro in no-man's land.

No, you are looking at OPS+ and wOBA more. Those stats you just said are pretty old as well. I put up before that Castro ranks about top 50ish in the league in hitting OPS+. If you think we are bringing up 5 prospects that beat that then you are over valuing all our prospects. Like I said in another thread, the Cubs have a good problem. Let someone make Castro expendable. Dont just assume it.

Liked Posts:
No, you are looking at OPS+ and wOBA more. Those stats you just said are pretty old as well. I put up before that Castro ranks about top 50ish in the league in hitting OPS+. If you think we are bringing up 5 prospects that beat that then you are over valuing all our prospects. Like I said in another thread, the Cubs have a good problem. Let someone make Castro expendable. Dont just assume it.

No, I'm looking at them individually--in whatever form. Each is getting more emphasis and BA isn't the end all-be all anymore.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's not silly at all. If you have Baez at 2B, you'll start wondering whit kind if pop you can then put at 3B and look to upgrade over Castro. Additionally, second to 1B and possibly RF, 3B has the lowest injury risk. You don't have to run as hard and as far as often as you do up the middle. You also don't have people taking you out on a turn as often.

No, it's not silly at all.

I have watched the Cubs ruin hitters over the years always trying to get more HRs from everyone due to playing in Wrigley.

Now that they have some genuine power hitters coming up, the very last thing I want to see is for them to get rid of good players in search of more power. Now I am certainly not saying Castro is the greatest at OBP, but in general, they need OBP to go with the power.

Castro would be a good defender at 3rd most likely, given he has range enough to play SS. And he hits. Why on earth do so many people want to see him traded?

Liked Posts:
I have watched the Cubs ruin hitters over the years always trying to get more HRs from everyone due to playing in Wrigley.

Now that they have some genuine power hitters coming up, the very last thing I want to see is for them to get rid of good players in search of more power. Now I am certainly not saying Castro is the greatest at OBP, but in general, they need OBP to go with the power.

Castro would be a good defender at 3rd most likely, given he has range enough to play SS. And he hits. Why on earth do so many people want to see him traded?

Castro isn't exactly tailored for small ball either.

Nice try but you're not erasing the dot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro isn't exactly tailored for small ball either.

Nice try but you're not erasing the dot.

Na, he is just on a hall of fame path but whatevs. Look up who the guys are who had the hits Castro has had at 24? Also, he has taken big steps this year. Also, his walk rate is the best it has ever been and has been increasing as the season went on. Trading Castro now would be a mistake. Oh, and Castro would probably be a gold glove caliber third baseman. Plenty of arm with quick reactions. Yea most SS become great third baseman.

Liked Posts:
Na, he is just on a hall of fame path but whatevs. Look up who the guys are who had the hits Castro has had at 24? Also, he has taken big steps this year. Also, his walk rate is the best it has ever been and has been increasing as the season went on. Trading Castro now would be a mistake. Oh, and Castro would probably be a gold glove caliber third baseman. Plenty of arm with quick reactions. Yea most SS become great third baseman.

A better position for Castro is 2B. And I'm basing this on his offense, not his defense.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
A better position for Castro is 2B. And I'm basing this on his offense, not his defense.
So youd rather move castro out of a position he been playing on a ML level the last 5 years only because youd rather have your SS (baez) hit 30 HRs then your 2Bmen if it were Baez with Castro staying at Short..

Liked Posts:
So youd rather move castro out of a position he been playing on a ML level the last 5 years only because youd rather have your SS (baez) hit 30 HRs then your 2Bmen if it were Baez with Castro staying at Short..

That's not what I've said at all. I don't think either should play short stop. Stop tugging so hard at Castro's scrotum.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
That's not what I've said at all. I don't think either should play short stop. Stop tugging so hard at Castro's scrotum.
Maybe you should just quit F'n him in the ass because you have a hard on for him

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
WTF are you talking about?! I'm not at all enamored with keeping him like many of you.

Because you want them to trade everyone, for who knows what...