JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nah, will take my chances with Miro.

Me neither. It would have taken two top ten picks for me to give up Mirotic. I think he'd have been sure to have been a top three pick.

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post/_/id/19890/gm-bulls-offered-top-10-picks-for-mirotic

Gar Forman said that he received a lot of interest from teams in the top 10 about Nikola Mirotic. That's very interesting. Let's say that obviously, no team in the top 5 were offering their pick for Mirotic. Would any of you have rather the Bulls trade Mirotic for the likes of Julius Randle, Nik Stauskas or Noah Vonleh?

Fran Fraschilla was saying Mirotic would have been a top 5 pick had he been drafted. So I don't think you can assume it was out of the top 5. I doubt he would have gone top 3 though.
I'd rather have Mirotic I think.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Not having seen him play any more than a 4-10 draft pick it's hard to say but I don't think I would have traded him after holding the investment this long. Mirotic has the upside of being more mature at 23 or so, married with a kid on the way and being paid and acting like a professional as opposed to being catered to and babied like so many college players are. The step up to the NBA and life as an adult won't be as dramatic even for someone coming from Europe. Mirotic also won't suffer from having a 'posse' of friends and hangers on leeching off him now that he's got money to spread around.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It depends if they felt mirotic fits what they want to do why trade him? Estimated draft pick talent we would have received would have been a wash so they obviously see something more in him then what they were offered

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i would if I were guaranteed Jabari Parker

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
With Gar saying we could have gotten two picks in the top 10, it should have been easy to conclude that it was Orlando with the 4th and 10th picks since they were the tean WITH TWO PICKS in the top 10, and then traded 10 to Philly.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
With Gar saying we could have gotten two picks in the top 10, it should have been easy to conclude that it was Orlando with the 4th and 10th picks since they were the tean WITH TWO PICKS in the top 10, and then traded 10 to Philly.
BP, I thought that Gar meant "two" as in "a 1st rd offer from one team" and "a 1st rd offer from a different team". I didn't think he meant "two" picks from same team.

I could be wrong though.

EDIT TO ADD:

If he was offered "two" picks from same team, I would have definitely taken that deal. I would have proceeded to ship out all 4 of our 1st rd picks for either Wiggins/Jabari or Kevin Love.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
BP, I thought that Gar meant "two" as in "a 1st rd offer from one team" and "a 1st rd offer from a different team". I didn't think he meant "two" picks from same team.

I could be wrong though.

EDIT TO ADD:

If he was offered "two" picks from same team, I would have definitely taken that deal. I would have proceeded to ship out all 4 of our 1st rd picks for either Wiggins/Jabari or Kevin Love.

The way I see it is they were not guaranteed a top 3 pick. That made it not worth it. Especially, since we were targeting a star FA and trying to clear money and not get stuck with a bunch of rookie contracts on an already pretty deep team, that was stressed out cap wise.

Liked Posts:

I could be wrong though.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here is the part where he says this:

. "To be honest with you, we were offered a couple picks in the top 10 for his rights," Forman said on ESPN 1000's "Waddle and Silvy Show" on Friday. "So I think he's a pretty high-level player. He's got a chance to develop into one. He's 6-foot-10, he's got a motor. He can play inside and out and he can shoot the 3-ball, so that's a good skill set to have as a young player."

It can be interpreted as one team but you're most likely correct about it meaning two separate teams.

As far as what you said about the premise that it was Orlando is concerned, I don't think you can assume Milwaukee would have traded the right to draft Parker. Philly might not have even been willing to trade the right to pick Embiid either. But I don't trade Mirotic for those picks without something already worked out with Cleveland or Milwaukee. It honestly seems like the Bulls would have taken McDermott with the #4 pick. They ended up with both McDermott and Mirotic.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Here is the part where he says this:

It can be interpreted as one team but you're most likely correct about it meaning two separate teams.

As far as what you said about the premise that it was Orlando is concerned, I don't think you can assume Milwaukee would have traded the right to draft Parker. Philly might not have even been willing to trade the right to pick Embiid either. But I don't trade Mirotic for those picks without something already worked out with Cleveland or Milwaukee. It honestly seems like the Bulls would have taken McDermott with the #4 pick. They ended up with both McDermott and Mirotic.
The Orlando assumption was Bear Pride's.

....But, if he was correct, that would have left us with 4 first round draft picks. I truly believe that trading those picks would have netted us either Kevin Love or moved us into the top 3 of the draft.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
You would think that they would gauge the interest of the top 3 teams prior to making the trade in order to, again, not get stuck with a bunch of picks. Just goes to show you that it's not easy to be creative sometimes.

Liked Posts:
The Orlando assumption was Bear Pride's.

....But, if he was correct, that would have left us with 4 first round draft picks. I truly believe that trading those picks would have netted us either Kevin Love or moved us into the top 3 of the draft.

It's hard to know. On the surface it seems like Minnesota would take all those picks but, on the other hand, Minnesota has been picking in the to 10 fairly routinely with little to show for it. It's possible they would have taken the picks but not exactly a certainty either (I'm talking about the Orlando picks). They might have been more likely to take Mirotic plus 16 and or 19 however since it involves a more advanced player.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I truly believe that trading those picks would have netted us either Kevin Love or moved us into the top 3 of the draft.
I doubt we would've gotten Love considering that supposedly Wiggins plus prospects is on the table and that hasn't been taken by Minnesota. A top 3 pick could've been likely. My guess is #3 though. Though with that pick we could've gotten Exum and that would've been fine by me. Really hard to say though. For all we know Mirotic could be better than most top 10 picks.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Gar meant several teams offered a top 10 pick...not a team offered 2 top 10 picks

i believe he was asked about it and he clarified what he meant

besides the only team that had 2 top 10 picks was Philly

(Magic had 4 & 12 they traded 12 for 10...not the other way around)

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I doubt we would've gotten Love considering that supposedly Wiggins plus prospects is on the table and that hasn't been taken by Minnesota.
Either this rumor is untrue or Love won't agree to re-sign in Cleveland.

I think that's the holdup.

A top 3 pick could've been likely. My guess is #3 though. Though with that pick we could've gotten Exum and that would've been fine by me. Really hard to say though. For all we know Mirotic could be better than most top 10 picks.
Other than getting Wiggins or Jabari, I'm good with having Mirotic.

I would trade his ass in a minute if it meant we'd have Love, Wiggins, or Jabari though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Either this rumor is untrue or Love won't agree to re-sign in Cleveland.

I think that's the holdup.
Well considering there's another rumor or whatever out there about Love saying he would extend in Cleveland if Lebron was there, I doubt that's the case. So that means Cleveland still isn't offering Wiggins or Minnesota is being very stubborn. Who knows? :shrug:

Other than getting Wiggins or Jabari, I'm good with having Mirotic.

I would trade his ass in a minute if it meant we'd have Love, Wiggins, or Jabari though.
I think everyone else here would too

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Well considering there's another rumor or whatever out there about Love saying he would extend in Cleveland if Lebron was there, I doubt that's the case. So that means Cleveland still isn't offering Wiggins or Minnesota is being very stubborn. Who knows? :shrug:

I think everyone else here would too

LBJ is only signed for 2 years. What if Love signs a long-term deal and then LBJ bolts? Love is left holding the bag.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
LBJ is only signed for 2 years. What if Love signs a long-term deal and then LBJ bolts? Love is left holding the bag.
Damn good point.

All that one has to do is look at what just happened in Miami with Bosh. Sure, he ended up with a max deal, but South Beach is a completely different animal than Cleveland, Ohio.