What's with all the unusual uniform numbers?

Liked Posts:
It used to be guys who were recently called up and were at spring training would get uniform numbers that you don't normally see. But now you have guys like Cespedes (52) and Puig (66) getting really unconventional.

It's a little weird and, to a certain degree, a little hard to get used to. It's not necessarily bad though.

But does anyone know what's behind this?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't know what's behind it, but I have always been against the retiring of jersey numbers in all sports.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It used to be guys who were recently called up and were at spring training would get uniform numbers that you don't normally see. But now you have guys like Cespedes (52) and Puig (66) getting really unconventional.

It's a little weird and, to a certain degree, a little hard to get used to. It's not necessarily bad though.

But does anyone know what's behind this?
Maybe it has something to do with who they idolized in Cuba or Dominican or wherever their from

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Maybe it's just the random numbers they were given during spring training and they just kept them?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember reading Jose Abreu chose 79 because his mom told him to because she thought it would stand out. Maybe it's as simple as that..who knows